Gadget Doctor: How We’d Fix The Zune HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I was going to buy the Zune HD because I desperately wanted an MP3 player. When I saw how many features it was lacking, I got an iPod Touch instead. I've never looked back.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I dont have a Zune HD but rather a first gen Zune 30GB. Completely satisfied with my choice and glad I bought it. I will never buy into Apple's closed system where you are forced to do what they tell you or eat it.

Cant wait for Windows mobile 7 as if it even comes close to the hype it will be more than I ever wanted in a mobile OS.

digitalgriffin

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
I would jump at a Zune in a heart beat if they had an iPod adapter. How many devices these days directly connect to iPod and CONTROL IT. My car stereo, my home receiver. And how many amplified iPod docks are there?

I know licensing issues with a proprietary apple interface are standing in the way. But I would still kill for the option.

Please Microsoft, make a Zune->iPod dock adapter! I would pay those @#%#$! @ apple $50 in licensing fees if it means I have better choice in my accessories.

si7entsam

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
OMG, as an owner of the Zune HD and iPhone, the one thing that drives me nuts about the zune is the finger prints. I would seriously pay 15$-20$ more just for a version with an Oleophobic screen. Maybe it is just a pet peeve of mine but seriously, MS should kind of do an online customization thing like Dells, where you can switch out certain options (IE Oleophobic screen, better headphones, having a dock come with it). I know they already have a somewhat customizable thing, but expanding it seems like it could help sales. They also really need to pay attention to things that Zune owners say needs improving on. It really feels like the Zune department would flourish if people knew that microsoft listened to your requests/suggestions and acted upon them. If they really want to put a dent in the PMP market they need to do these things.

ubergeek

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
It would also help if they were actually available in stores. iPods are in every store. I have seen one (1) Zune HD since their release.

si7entsam

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]I dont have a Zune HD but rather a first gen Zune 30GB. Completely satisfied with my choice and glad I bought it. I will never buy into Apple's closed system where you are forced to do what they tell you or eat it.[/citation]
Zune is just as closed if not more closed than the iPod. At least apple provides the SDK for apps. I'm not trying to be an ass I'm just curious to your reasoning behind this.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]si7entsam[/nom]Zune is just as closed if not more closed than the iPod. At least apple provides the SDK for apps. I'm not trying to be an ass I'm just curious to your reasoning behind this.[/citation]

Well Im very against Apples app store personally seeing my own money go to waste as well as my friends. He has an Iphone 3gs and for xmas I bought him an Itunes card so he could get some apps. He used the card I gave him and bought several apps among other things from the Itunes store. These apps were striaght from the Itunes store so they were approved by Apple. Over a month after he bought them Apple removed them from the app store because Apple decided it didnt want them anymore so now those apps are basically non functional on the phone. Apple gave no credit, refund, apology, etc... Told my friend that was their policy and he could not do anything about it. MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN off of products sold on apples own store.

Sorry but that is just wrong. If you approve an app, sell it, then remove it and tell users SOL your screwed you are knowingly and willingly screwing your own consumers and it is just wrong.

arrghushakaboorga

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
I have a Zune and I like it. The only reason I haven't switched to a Zune HD is because of the limit in size. I also agree with options for different Zune Pass types

evan42781

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
by the way my personal headphones (not the zune ones) work as an antenna for the HD radio. I dont think u have to use the zune ones to get a better reception. The reason why i think i know this is true because when the zune is plugged in my car (via the port on the bottom) i get no HD reception. but when walking around with my headphones in (none zune ones) i get great reception.

isisyodin

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Items get removed from the App Store, from JC Penney, Macys, etc etc. No retailer will ever issue you an apology for removing an item from their catalog or store. Your friend should have made a backup like any other piece of software one buys of the internet. Once you have it on your device and PC, Apple will not magically remove it from either one. I have a lot of Apps that are no longer in the App Store. Some will stop working in the future for sure since a new OS upgrade will probably brake them, but that happens to Windows, OSX, Linux, etc.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Well Im very against Apples app store personally seeing my own money go to waste as well as my friends. He has an Iphone 3gs and for xmas I bought him an Itunes card so he could get some apps. He used the card I gave him and bought several apps among other things from the Itunes store. These apps were striaght from the Itunes store so they were approved by Apple. Over a month after he bought them Apple removed them from the app store because Apple decided it didnt want them anymore so now those apps are basically non functional on the phone. Apple gave no credit, refund, apology, etc... Told my friend that was their policy and he could not do anything about it. MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN off of products sold on apples own store.Sorry but that is just wrong. If you approve an app, sell it, then remove it and tell users SOL your screwed you are knowingly and willingly screwing your own consumers and it is just wrong.[/citation]

So I'm guessing he spent his money on all the 'adult' apps that were recently removed. I don't know about those apps but I've still got an iPhone app that I bought nearly two years ago and was removed just a few days later (Netshare). It wasn't deleted from my device when they removed it from the App Store and hasn't become non functional - it's still working just fine now even after several major OS updates.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]Spanky Deluxe[/nom]So I'm guessing he spent his money on all the 'adult' apps that were recently removed. I don't know about those apps but I've still got an iPhone app that I bought nearly two years ago and was removed just a few days later (Netshare). It wasn't deleted from my device when they removed it from the App Store and hasn't become non functional - it's still working just fine now even after several major OS updates.[/citation]

I didnt consider it adult necessarily. It was "Babe of the Day" which was a daily picture of a hot chick. No nudity, no see through garmets, just a picture of a hot chick in a sexy outfit or swimsuit. Apple did not delete the app from his computer but he no longer but the purpose of the app was to send out a new "Babe" everyday which it does not do any longer because Apple removed it from the app store and support. Kinda ironic that they pulled that simple app yet Playboy and SI suimsuit are still allowed. Just one of the many reasons not to buy into apples hypocritical dictatorship.

sakanagai

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
I'd have included using Samsung's Super AMOLED for better view outdoors somewhere in there as well. Completely agree with the need for a ZunePass w/ video; not necessarily the $40/mo package listed (a little much when I already have a cable bill), but a daily rental and a movie of the week for keeps plus free (potentially ad-supported to lower costs) TV shows.

Ho0d1um

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]Microsoft really failed with ZUNE HD. i have one and barely use it.[/citation]
I don't think the Zune failed I think Microsoft failed to capitalize.
I would love to see a cheaper ZunePass, and DRM support (I hate having to strip DRM off my digital copies)

sakanagai

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Ho0d1um[/nom]I don't think the Zune failed I think Microsoft failed to capitalize. I would love to see a cheaper ZunePass, and DRM support (I hate having to strip DRM off my digital copies)[/citation]
What do you mean by "DRM support"? The Zune platform does support DRM, just its own flavor. I'd certainly agree that protected Windows Media files and PlaysForSure would be much welcomed. If you are talking about Apple's FairPlay, good luck. We'll see Apple open up the standard just after we get run over by Satan ice-skating to work.

Also, for the record, stripping DRM off of a media file is illegal. It counts as circumvention of copyright protection which violates the DMCA.

PynkFloydd

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Good summary of the (minor) nuisances of the Zune HD. My own biggest complaint is definitely the lack of car integration options. Considering that the Zune isn't sold to many places outside of the US (which might be another improvement for the list), I doubt we'll see Microsoft spending the money to make this happen. ...unless more auto manufacturers move to their Sync system.

The Tegra powered interface really is nice though. There's still a few bugs here and there that pop up, but I'm sure that's an easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.