Gaikai: Microsoft or Sony Leaving Next-Gen Console Race

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buzznut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]They usually don't at first (the Wii did), but they do make money off consoles over the lifespan of the console. Also, they DO need a console to make money off software. How are they gonna charge royalties without one?[/citation]

They're going to sell software and apps through the cloud like everyone else. And console makers do make more money off software sales than hardware. By a long shot.
I wouldn't get into the hardware business right now, unless it was a tablet that could game like a desktop and still had 4 hours or more of battery life. That would be a safe bet for about a year, until the next form factor becomes popular.

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if Sony didn't jump on the next "Next Gen" bandwagon. Their hardware is still relevant, but it would be nice if they decided to release an updated PS3 with the following features:
Ultra Slim Case
Larger Hard Drive
Faster (DDR3) Memory with Higher Capacity
Improved Graphics

This would get people to buy their console again.

popatim

Splendid
[citation][nom]Classzero[/nom]I would like to see these consoles leave all together. Return of the PC.[/citation]
PC is not going to take back over either. Remember that gaming is going to be done on a server and just your screen image is going to be sent to whatever device you play on. The future will pit smartphone users against netbooks, laptop, desktop, PC's, TV's, Blu-ray players... and then the net will die just from sheer congestion. LOL

frankbough

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
"Yet Nintendo and Microsoft clearly don't seem to have any kind of departure in the works, so that leaves Sony as the #1 quitter."

...or this rumour is a load of crap. There is that possibility.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
why do PC only gamers hate on consoles? i've been a console and pc gamer since '95 and i must say that both have improved significantly since then. without consoles alot of developers would be gone.

asukafan2001

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Sony seems to have way to much invested to just drop out. I will believe it when i see it and Microsoft has spent way to much getting into the gaming industry and just climbed to the top of the console mountain.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]buzznut[/nom]Sony doesn't make money off of consoles, neither does anyone else.[/citation]Sony might be now. Nintendo was from the start, and Microsoft is definitely making money on the Xbox 360.

[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]If I am not mistaken. Sony lost a couple of billion $$ on the PS3 console? Add in that when it came out so few game where available.[/citation]
Both Sony and Microsoft have, however, Sony is still losing money, though not sure if it's because of the console.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hannibal[/nom]Hmmm... What we really know. Wii U is coming this year. It is allmost as fast as PS3 and Xbox 360 are or a little bit better...The Xbor 720 (or something) is coming late 2013 or 2014 and some demos this year E3. So they are just saying that there is not demo PS4 at E3... big deal?PS3 is fast enough to play same games that Wii U is capable (more or less). The next Xbox is not coming just yet. If the next Xbox does comes out, it is in the same hole as PC games are... Xbox720 would be plagued console ports from PS3 and Wii U. Only some some pure Xbox 720 games would be made for full potential. Why, because it is easier to make a game that is same in all 3 main platform... sorry in all 4 platform if we count PC. So Sony can wait a little bit longer this time and make eiher better or at least cheaper console! Or they just wait until 2013 before they make their demo stuff, so this rumour does not mean anythin more tham what we allready know. Next gen consoles (not including Wii U) are not coming out soon...[/citation]

graphics on the wiiu will be several times better than the 360 or the PlayStation three, this is just based on that whatever GPU that we you users will be several generations more advanced, and will also have a dedicated tessellation unit. The fact that currently we can only see what they graphics cards that on the PC is definitely a detriment to this. A console where everything is built for the dedicated hardware can easily pull all several times the power that it could be pulled out that the same hardware reviews on a PC.

Realistically speaking the wiiu will most likely become the lead platform, and if the 720 has hardware that's even one generation further ahead than the wiiu, games will most likely runs smoother on it that on the wiiu.

[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]I think it's clear that Microsoft owns the Next-Gen console market.The ONLY thing that saved the PS3 is Blu-Ray compatibility. But that wont help them Next-Gen now that standalone Blu-Ray players are super-cheap.The PS Vita looks like a major flop right now too.Sony is just dropping the ball.[/citation]

I hate user-interface
I hate their lack of choice
I hate that I have to pay to play game online
I hate their service what I'd pay to play game online
there is not a single thing I like about Xbox over PlayStation 3
the fact that if I have a choice I buy my games on PlayStation 3 over the 360 now is at least my way of saying screw you Microsoft. They had everything to gain when the system launched I like it more than I liked PlayStation 3 but every one of their stupid retarded decisions... I'm not going to support the next console generation. I don't believe they have one exclusive I give a damn about either.

[citation][nom]buzznut[/nom]Sony doesn't make money off of consoles, neither does anyone else. Most console makers actually lose money per unit. They make money off of software sales, and they don't need a console to do that. This is exactly what happened with Sega, when the PS1 came out Sega couldn't compete with the Dreamcast-a great system that didn't sell well. Sega officially exited the console business, and went back to making software. Unfortunately, people didn't like Sonic as much as Mario. But they are at least still in business, albeit a much smaller business.[/citation]

Sega time because they had seven consoles going worldwide, and they could not keep up with it all. It was poor management, on an epic scale. That's what killed them.

[citation][nom]zakaron[/nom]I don't understand why people think the PS3 is doing poorly, or the only reason PS3 survived is because of some disc drive.How about the quality of it's exclusives? That alone is enough to sell hardware.Console showdown over at IGN picked PS3 as the 2011 winner:http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1215432p1.html[/citation]

that's so true. I'm looking at my game collection right now, PlayStation three easily kicks the crap out of 360 in the exclusives. I mean it's not even close. Then again third person first person shooters a console just don't do it for me.

[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]They usually don't at first (the Wii did), but they do make money off consoles over the lifespan of the console. Also, they DO need a console to make money off software. How are they gonna charge royalties without one?[/citation]

every Nintendo console has pulled a profit from day one. Even back when they were the powerhouse when they have a console that looks better than everyone else's they still pull the profit from day one.

[citation][nom]gallidorn[/nom]I wouldn't be surprised if Sony didn't jump on the next "Next Gen" bandwagon. Their hardware is still relevant, but it would be nice if they decided to release an updated PS3 with the following features:Ultra Slim CaseLarger Hard DriveFaster (DDR3) Memory with Higher CapacityImproved Graphics This would get people to buy their console again.[/citation]

just make it play PlayStation two games, I would buy another PlayStation three is a complete PlayStation two games.

[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]why do PC only gamers hate on consoles? i've been a console and pc gamer since '95 and i must say that both have improved significantly since then. without consoles alot of developers would be gone.[/citation]

Because they honestly forgot what was like needing to upgrade your computer every half-year play a brand-new game. The consoles have "statemented" their video games. At least they believe that. They believe that if it wasn't for consoles everyone will be using DirectX 11 games and have five GPU in their computer right now play every game. Some of these people can't even imagine how a mainstream card even gets me because who wants to buy a $200 card when they can buy a three $700 cards. I despise these people who can't even think.

Among my graphics prettier, sure.
But what I want more is the game engine to be optimized.

Take a look at the Witcher 2 if you really want to understand what I mean. Crysis 1 even.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]Lewis57[/nom]Reports just in: Gaikai is full of shit.[/citation]
You took the words right out of my mouth.

[citation][nom]edvinasm[/nom]First things first, there is no decent (and more importantly cheap) next gen GPU that XBOX would use (and let's not forget, the closer to x86 architecture the better for developers etc.)[/citation]
What on Earth could you mean with that? Current desktop GPUs are over an order of magnitude beyond what the Xbox 360 and PS3 have under the hood. To put it into perspective, the floating-point capability of the 360's R500 Xenos is a mere 192 gigaFLOPS, compared to 3.789 gigaFLOPS for the Radeon 7970.

In terms of texture & pixel throughput, the 360 is only about 4.29 times as potent as the original Xbox; the 7970 is 14.8 times that of the Xbox 360. (or 63.5 times as powerful as the Xbox!)

Also, GPUs are best NOT using the x86 architecture, as Larrabee's troubles have shown us. x86 isn't good for such units: it's best for the CPU, and the 360, unlike the original Xbox, (but like the Game Cube, Wii, and PS3) uses IBM's PowerPC architecture, which seems to be a lock for being the architecture for all three next-gen consoles.

[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]While gaming on the PC is great, originally games were played on consoles. The first mainstream games were played on specialized gaming hardware.[/citation]
What sort of universe did you live in? Gaming appeared before the PC, and definitely before consoles. There was no such thing as "gaming hardware" then. And throughout the ages, PC gaming has almost always been the cutting edge side. The ONLY potential exception was the year or so between the release of the Nintendo64 and more-fleshed out 3D accelerators for the PC.

Other from that brief exception, consoles have always been a case of settling for less. There were also the "home computers" (basically competing macro-architectures to the IBM PC) such as the Commodore Amiga which also featured a strong selection of games that, technology-wise, put the consoles to shame. When the NES was limited to 3-6 colors for each object on-screen, the Amiga was capable of using 64. Later versions of the Amiga caught up with 256-color modes (13h, X, and Y, all of them VGA) being used on the PC from 1987 onward. Doom is a rather good example of what was capable of PC graphics from the late 1980s.

All computing hardware (barring the N64, again) that was "specialized for gaming" on a non-PC platform was specialized to be CUT-DOWN: it invariably wasn't as powerful, and the "specialization" was engineering done to reduce the price, and (in the case of handhelds) reduce power consumption as well.

Almost all of the ideas taken were, in fact, recycled from the PC and other computers. The clever "backgrounds and sprites" mode that made smooth-scrolling 2D gaming plausible on inexpensive hardware was, in fact, simply based on a re-purposed "text-mode" display lifted from the PC: the "background" was simply a text layer changed to use square characters, and the "sprites" were similarly based on the cursor part; the only significant change was moving the tileset for both from a hard-coded ROM chip to a a freely-re-writable section of RAM. Over time, they simply made it more advanced, by increasing the number of cursors, increasing the color depth, and allowing for multiple layers of "text" to be shown at once.

You've got it backwards: the Xbox, Xbox 360, and PS3 were the ONLY consoles to release at a loss. Sony made money on every PS1 and PS2 sold, from the release day onward. That's why they debuted with what were, at the time, seen as horrendously high $300US MSRPs.

As for royalties without making the hardware... That's kinda easy. After all, Sony doesn't make the PS3 anyway; Foxconn does. (Foxconn ALSO makes the 360 and Wii the same way: using guts manufactured by IBM, ATi/nVidia, Samsung, Toshiba etc.) Similarly, many more obscure console and home computer designs were ENTIRELY outsourced: a good example would be Microsoft's MSX, a Japanese-only system that actually sold well, and was famous for being the place where three powerhouse gaming series got their start: Castlevania, Dragon Quest, and yes, Metal Gear.

The MSX machines out there actually bore the branding of whatever company manufactured that unit, not that of Microsoft. (ironically, one of these makers was Sony) Microsoft simply made a standard for these machines, and licensed out the base technology: the individual Japanese electronics companies build a design that fit the specifications, but could vary wildly on many attributes. It was almost kind of like a form of DirectX for console design.

[citation][nom]hannibal[/nom]Hmmm... What we really know. Wii U is coming this year. It is allmost as fast as PS3 and Xbox 360 are or a little bit better...[/citation]
No, it's safe to assume the Wii U (at least the base unit; no word on the tablet) will be vastly more powerful than either the Xbox 360 or PS3, simply due to Moore's Law. Simply following it would've meant that even keeping with the "Wii" line would've resulted in something equal to the 360 around the year 2009... And keep in mind it's 3 years later, so even if they went with the same "cheap and tiny" route, you're looking at something about four times as powerful: that's the same power gap between the Xbox 360 and original Xbox.

Similarly, word is that the Wii U's GPU will be based on one of AMD's two now-old architectures: VLIW5, or VLIW4. (respectively, the Radeon HD 5000 and HD 6000 series, though both are still recycled for lower-end 7000 parts) Almost every single GPU made with those is significantly above the R500. Also, both the version of VLIW5 (the iteration as used in the Radeon 5800 series) and VLIW4 sport dedicated tesselation support, which likewise would give the Wii U a serious boost up.

Most comparisons here come from either ill-informed fanboys trying to deride the Wii U before it's even out, or simply the uninformed listening to word that a lot of the Wii U's initial titles will be cheap cross-ports of every single Xbox 360 and PS3 title out there. (read: "Shovelware Bandwagon: The Next Generation," going boldly where every publisher has already gone before) The reason they largely won't get upgrades to make use of the Wii U's increased capabilities is because that'd be too much investment for games that, in all reality, a LOT of the base will already have on the 360 or PS3, and they're all just looking for a quick way to cash in here. This is also the same reason why the Wii got a lot of direct PS2 ports in spite of being several times as powerful, and how most cross 360/PS3 games make use of NEITHER'S strengths, and simply stick with the lowest common denominator between them.

[citation][nom]Shin-san[/nom]Both Sony and Microsoft have, however, Sony is still losing money, though not sure if it's because of the console.[/citation]
Sony started making money on each console sold from around the time that the PS3 Slim came out. By now they've actually recovered all the losses they made prior to that point, leaving the original Xbox history's only console to not make a net profit on sales across its lifespan. (IIRC Microsoft is still out a few hundred million on it, but has more than recovered that with the 360)

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]A console where everything is built for the dedicated hardware can easily pull all several times the power that it could be pulled out that the same hardware reviews on a PC.[/citation]
This is actually incorrect. GPU-wise, there is literally no difference in "efficiency" between consoles and PCs. Any perceived difference is a combination of two factors:

1. The settings on the console are fixed to what the developers found to be the best tradeoff of visuals and performance. You can get the same effect on the PC if you're willing to dig into the .ini file and tweak settings until you get the best settings for your own machine.
2. The perceived difference is often illusory, based on assumptions that the console is doing things it actually isn't, such as the assumptions most make that Xbox 360 games are running at 1280x720 (Skyrim, for instance, runs at 1024x576, actually) or that EITHER the PS3 or 360 is getting 60fps, when almost all games are capped at 30fps.

CPU-wise is a bit of a different story: even if you remove all the bloat from PCs (which CAN be done and still run Windows fine) a lot of PC+console games are just console games cheaply ported to the PC so inefficiently that it's all but EMULATING the console.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]Sega time because they had seven consoles going worldwide, and they could not keep up with it all. It was poor management, on an epic scale. That's what killed them.[/citation]
I feel that Sega's approach to hardware was also flawed as well: they focused WAY too much on "beating Nintendo," that their designs for the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast reflected a lot of decisions that emphasized beating Nintendo's EXISTING console, not the one that'd come out a year or two after Sega's. Sega only managed to avoid this mentality with the Genesis, (aka Mega Drive) which coincidentally, was the one most fiercely competitive with Nintendo's systems; while technically inferior to the Super NES, the margin was close, making it FAR more impressive for a machine released in 1989 than the Super NES released in 1991. It only really fell behind in multi-layer blended transparency support, and in the SNES having a vastly superior audio system, that was the first to support compression. (Sega would not implement audio compression support until the DC, which by then was too little too late)

techy74

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Sony will do a PS4 when it is ready, it still is the best console at the moment, good hardware and great exclusive and cross-platform titles, Blue Ray and Biggest hard drive in a console.

After the Sony Vita comes out, i am sure we will hear some news.

G

oh yeah lets go back to spending 1000 2000 to play high end games that we can get for 300 console has battered down pc pc is hacked and has been since counter strike stop whining whats out there for you high end dust colector or i mean spendy pc its over pc boys consoles have outdone you its less cost and playing a game within 1 min compared to waiting 10 minutes to install and then update ok game is ready lets play online oh look someone with infinate health unlimited bullets accecpt it pc guys pc is only good for making console games thats it and dl

G

When you consider technologies like smart TVs, Google TV, the OnLive gaming service, Steam, and add it all up, you have to wonder what will the point be in having a dedicated gaming console. Frankly, I am surprised that Microsoft is even hinting at another version of the Xbox... seems like it would benefit them more if they evolved "Xbox" into a cloud-gaming API technology/chip that is embedded into smart TVs, similar to how Netflix is embedded into several Blu-ray players. (The Kinect tech itself could probably be built into future generations of smart TVs.)

DirectXtreme

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
[citation][nom]consolesssss[/nom]oh yeah lets go back to spending 1000 2000 to play high end games that we can get for 300 console has battered down pc pc is hacked and has been since counter strike stop whining whats out there for you high end dust colector or i mean spendy pc its over pc boys consoles have outdone you its less cost and playing a game within 1 min compared to waiting 10 minutes to install and then update ok game is ready lets play online oh look someone with infinate health unlimited bullets accecpt it pc guys pc is only good for making console games thats it and dl[/citation]

LOL troll harder buddy

DirectXtreme

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I see SONY drawing more out of the console market than Microsoft, not exactly drawing out, but taking a break for the eighth generation. I believe SONY said that they would aim the PS3 towards casuals from now on and SONY did make an official announcement that there would be no PS4 at E3. However, that could mean that they're announcing it sooner or later than E3. If SONY actually tries to make the PS3 last a 10 year life span without a new home console, then that would be an insane idea, but they could possibly pull it off seeing as how the PS2 managed to sell for an amount of time well past a typical console generation.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]buzznut[/nom]They're going to sell software and apps through the cloud like everyone else. And console makers do make more money off software sales than hardware. By a long shot. I wouldn't get into the hardware business right now, unless it was a tablet that could game like a desktop and still had 4 hours or more of battery life. That would be a safe bet for about a year, until the next form factor becomes popular.[/citation]
I think there's something you don't get in the chain. Sony doesn't make games (well, they do own some studios, but this is irrelevant). Game companies make game for the Playstation, which Sony gain royalties from sales. If they don't have a console to start with, those companies will simply sell their games to Nintendo or Microsoft and Sony will get squat.

And @nottheking, the manufacturer have no impact whatsoever in the final product. The Playstation is the property of Sony and they will sell and manage it the way they see fit. Foxconn and other part vendors won't get money on games sold, only consoles sold. Not quite sure where you're going with this argument.

jrtolson

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
well i think personally sony will introduce the ps4 in the next 4 years, but not until the ps3 is nearing the end of its lifespan, let microsfot jump the gun a year or so with its xbox 720...

maybe its the new strategy of sony "keep queit until they are ready".. personally i have a ps3 and i think its awsome, but at the time of release i could not work out why it did not come with 1gb of ram and Nvidia's 8800 core gfx chip rather than the older 7800 dubbed "RSX".. even tho i believe the ps3 has still got the head room for modern games (as CELL is a very powerful cpu) i think the ps3 is hitting boundaries on memory limitations and gpu shader capabilities.. (even tho cell can bail rsx out, alot of game ports from competing platforms don't utilise this)

Anyway my point is if SONY did not reveal PS3 specs way ahead of time, then it may have had an oportunity to update them at launch.. maybe this time round they are keeping their cards to their chest...

roumers like this are started to try and push sony for information... i hope it not work... besides ps4 is years away lol

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Not quite sure where you're going with this argument.[/citation]
That was merely pointing out something you missed, and also illustrating why it's a blurred line of precisely when it's their own console: compare modern consoles where none of the manufacture is done by the company that developed them, to the MSX.

Also, I did point out that consoles selling at a loss are the exception, not the rule; of the 29 major consoles released in history, only the Xbox, Xbox 360, and PS3 ever sold at a loss.

[citation][nom]jrtolson[/nom]but at the time of release i could not work out why it did not come with 1gb of ram and Nvidia's 8800 core gfx chip rather than the older 7800 dubbed "RSX"..[/citation]
Well, both the 8800 and PS3 released in November 2006. Consoles use dated tech as they have to finalize a lot of parts decisions well in advance. Oh, and there's also the price concern: people balked heavily at the $500-600US price; given that the 8800GTS (the weakest 8800 released initially) came with an MSRP of $400US, you can kinda see the point; Sony was already losing out badly enough. If they'd felt like spending more on expanding the power of it, it would've used a full-blown G71, rather than the watered-down version the RSX was. (though mostly, it's bottlenecked by memory bandwidth, due to being forced to use a 128-bit interface to fit within even its own package)

[citation][nom]jrtolson[/nom](as CELL is a very powerful cpu) i think the ps3 is hitting boundaries on memory limitations and gpu shader capabilities.. (even tho cell can bail rsx out, alot of game ports from competing platforms don't utilise this)
The Cell Broadband Engine has some capabilities that are worth noting, but is a poor choice for total gaming: raw floating-point power is not useful for games. Hence it's at a disadvantage, actually, when compared to the Xbox 360's CPU, which has 3 true cores to the single core (the PPE) of the PS3's CPU.

The real reason for the CBE's design is that it's a two-purpose chip: the FP power is used when the PS3 is doing the NON-game things, like playing movies or streaming media. It's true it can be used to provide some extra graphical power, but it's not a severe boost: Uncharted 2 demonstrates what I'd consider the absolute MOST a game can squeeze out of every bit of the PS3's hardware, and it still doesn't look tremendously more impressive than the best Xbox 360 games. (though it does look slightly better)

[citation][nom]jrtolson[/nom]besides ps4 is years away lol[/citation]
Information always comes out well in advance. Both the PS3 and PS2 were revealed at E3 the year before their release; for the PS1, due to the curious and unique nature of its development, it'd been known about well before the final idea was even hammered out, let alone designed.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]nottheking[/nom]You took the words right out of my mouth.What on Earth could you mean with that? Current desktop GPUs are over an order of magnitude beyond what the Xbox 360 and PS3 have under the hood. To put it into perspective, the floating-point capability of the 360's R500 Xenos is a mere 192 gigaFLOPS, compared to 3.789 gigaFLOPS for the Radeon 7970.In terms of texture & pixel throughput, the 360 is only about 4.29 times as potent as the original Xbox; the 7970 is 14.8 times that of the Xbox 360. (or 63.5 times as powerful as the Xbox!)Also, GPUs are best NOT using the x86 architecture, as Larrabee's troubles have shown us. x86 isn't good for such units: it's best for the CPU, and the 360, unlike the original Xbox, (but like the Game Cube, Wii, and PS3) uses IBM's PowerPC architecture, which seems to be a lock for being the architecture for all three next-gen consoles.What sort of universe did you live in? Gaming appeared before the PC, and definitely before consoles. There was no such thing as "gaming hardware" then. And throughout the ages, PC gaming has almost always been the cutting edge side. The ONLY potential exception was the year or so between the release of the Nintendo64 and more-fleshed out 3D accelerators for the PC. Other from that brief exception, consoles have always been a case of settling for less. There were also the "home computers" (basically competing macro-architectures to the IBM PC) such as the Commodore Amiga which also featured a strong selection of games that, technology-wise, put the consoles to shame. When the NES was limited to 3-6 colors for each object on-screen, the Amiga was capable of using 64. Later versions of the Amiga caught up with 256-color modes (13h, X, and Y, all of them VGA) being used on the PC from 1987 onward. Doom is a rather good example of what was capable of PC graphics from the late 1980s.All computing hardware (barring the N64, again) that was "specialized for gaming" on a non-PC platform was specialized to be CUT-DOWN: it invariably wasn't as powerful, and the "specialization" was engineering done to reduce the price, and (in the case of handhelds) reduce power consumption as well.Almost all of the ideas taken were, in fact, recycled from the PC and other computers. The clever "backgrounds and sprites" mode that made smooth-scrolling 2D gaming plausible on inexpensive hardware was, in fact, simply based on a re-purposed "text-mode" display lifted from the PC: the "background" was simply a text layer changed to use square characters, and the "sprites" were similarly based on the cursor part; the only significant change was moving the tileset for both from a hard-coded ROM chip to a a freely-re-writable section of RAM. Over time, they simply made it more advanced, by increasing the number of cursors, increasing the color depth, and allowing for multiple layers of "text" to be shown at once.You've got it backwards: the Xbox, Xbox 360, and PS3 were the ONLY consoles to release at a loss. Sony made money on every PS1 and PS2 sold, from the release day onward. That's why they debuted with what were, at the time, seen as horrendously high $300US MSRPs.As for royalties without making the hardware... That's kinda easy. After all, Sony doesn't make the PS3 anyway; Foxconn does. (Foxconn ALSO makes the 360 and Wii the same way: using guts manufactured by IBM, ATi/nVidia, Samsung, Toshiba etc.) Similarly, many more obscure console and home computer designs were ENTIRELY outsourced: a good example would be Microsoft's MSX, a Japanese-only system that actually sold well, and was famous for being the place where three powerhouse gaming series got their start: Castlevania, Dragon Quest, and yes, Metal Gear. The MSX machines out there actually bore the branding of whatever company manufactured that unit, not that of Microsoft. (ironically, one of these makers was Sony) Microsoft simply made a standard for these machines, and licensed out the base technology: the individual Japanese electronics companies build a design that fit the specifications, but could vary wildly on many attributes. It was almost kind of like a form of DirectX for console design.No, it's safe to assume the Wii U (at least the base unit; no word on the tablet) will be vastly more powerful than either the Xbox 360 or PS3, simply due to Moore's Law. Simply following it would've meant that even keeping with the "Wii" line would've resulted in something equal to the 360 around the year 2009... And keep in mind it's 3 years later, so even if they went with the same "cheap and tiny" route, you're looking at something about four times as powerful: that's the same power gap between the Xbox 360 and original Xbox.Similarly, word is that the Wii U's GPU will be based on one of AMD's two now-old architectures: VLIW5, or VLIW4. (respectively, the Radeon HD 5000 and HD 6000 series, though both are still recycled for lower-end 7000 parts) Almost every single GPU made with those is significantly above the R500. Also, both the version of VLIW5 (the iteration as used in the Radeon 5800 series) and VLIW4 sport dedicated tesselation support, which likewise would give the Wii U a serious boost up.Most comparisons here come from either ill-informed fanboys trying to deride the Wii U before it's even out, or simply the uninformed listening to word that a lot of the Wii U's initial titles will be cheap cross-ports of every single Xbox 360 and PS3 title out there. (read: "Shovelware Bandwagon: The Next Generation," going boldly where every publisher has already gone before) The reason they largely won't get upgrades to make use of the Wii U's increased capabilities is because that'd be too much investment for games that, in all reality, a LOT of the base will already have on the 360 or PS3, and they're all just looking for a quick way to cash in here. This is also the same reason why the Wii got a lot of direct PS2 ports in spite of being several times as powerful, and how most cross 360/PS3 games make use of NEITHER'S strengths, and simply stick with the lowest common denominator between them.Sony started making money on each console sold from around the time that the PS3 Slim came out. By now they've actually recovered all the losses they made prior to that point, leaving the original Xbox history's only console to not make a net profit on sales across its lifespan. (IIRC Microsoft is still out a few hundred million on it, but has more than recovered that with the 360)This is actually incorrect. GPU-wise, there is literally no difference in "efficiency" between consoles and PCs. Any perceived difference is a combination of two factors:1. The settings on the console are fixed to what the developers found to be the best tradeoff of visuals and performance. You can get the same effect on the PC if you're willing to dig into the .ini file and tweak settings until you get the best settings for your own machine. 2. The perceived difference is often illusory, based on assumptions that the console is doing things it actually isn't, such as the assumptions most make that Xbox 360 games are running at 1280x720 (Skyrim, for instance, runs at 1024x576, actually) or that EITHER the PS3 or 360 is getting 60fps, when almost all games are capped at 30fps.CPU-wise is a bit of a different story: even if you remove all the bloat from PCs (which CAN be done and still run Windows fine) a lot of PC+console games are just console games cheaply ported to the PC so inefficiently that it's all but EMULATING the console.I feel that Sega's approach to hardware was also flawed as well: they focused WAY too much on "beating Nintendo," that their designs for the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast reflected a lot of decisions that emphasized beating Nintendo's EXISTING console, not the one that'd come out a year or two after Sega's. Sega only managed to avoid this mentality with the Genesis, (aka Mega Drive) which coincidentally, was the one most fiercely competitive with Nintendo's systems; while technically inferior to the Super NES, the margin was close, making it FAR more impressive for a machine released in 1989 than the Super NES released in 1991. It only really fell behind in multi-layer blended transparency support, and in the SNES having a vastly superior audio system, that was the first to support compression. (Sega would not implement audio compression support until the DC, which by then was too little too late)[/citation]

with sega, there is also the factor that they did make better systems like the saturn and such, but never thought of the people who developed for it, it was like the early cell days where everyone complained, but because of how sucessfull they were, people just got use to it.

and also with the saturn, if im correct, they went and made it for arcade ports, something that was next to impossible on a nintendo system, and was sluggish even on a ps1,

but as for console graphics, they are able to pull more out, and i have always wondered just by how much. yea, ini tweaks can help, but base code, on a console exclusive, will be more efficient than lets say on a pc exclusive, because that pc has to take into account x cpus and x gpus where consoles only need 1. i believe that with the wiiu, they will have enough of a performance boost to being console only, that when they use tessellation, it will have a very minimal effect on the overall gameplay, weather that is at 30 or 60fps doesn't matter to much.

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Atleast one of the console should go out, if possible both of them. Only that way game developers would start consider the PC platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.