Gaikai Targeting 100 Million Users by 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"The ability to pull a lever and have a million people play your game is something that's crazy to even think about today,"

and with another pull, have millions of people not be able to play because its streamed.

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
I find it a bit suspicious that he didn't specify when in 2012 he hopes to meet this lofty goal. You could interpret his words to mean that there'll be 100 million users January 1.

I also am skeptical about his use of of the word Technically. That's usually code for "if we fudge the numbers, we can legally claim it, but it's not really indicative of what we're hoping for."

njt

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
this is the same guy that used to head Shiny. you know, the studio that shipped MDK, a great game, but refused to post bugfixes for it after "the original team left". then for years talked a lot about Messiah, and it was crap, i bought it and never went past the very first level. i still have it, i was unable to sell it 2nd hand, no shop would buy it. then MDK2 came out, it wasn't by Shiny anymore, but just licensing the ip must have had similar consequences, because MDK2 had a specific gamestopping bug when you played as the professor, and there was never a patch for it. you had to call the US helpline (horrendously expensive) to be told what to type at the console to move past that point (after several days of trying and failing). what i am saying is stay away from anything this guy and the studios he works for is involved in, you'll be better off for it.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
"You must accept the Gaikai certificate before you can play this game. Please restart your browser, then try again."

What certificate ?

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Nevermind. I was using icedtea-web and openjdk6 (Linux) and after uninstalling those and installing Oracle's "jre" it now says: "This demo may not be available in your area yet, or Internet traffic may be too high to support a great gameplay experience at this time. Please try again later."

Yeah, thanks for the frustration. Can't you use HTML5 or something? Jesus.

G

Alright. Why is it that when Gaikai gets some sort of recognition, they ALWAYS compare it to OnLive? If you guys want to start out on your own.

By the way, that 10 million mark "users" is really crap. It's essentially still in beta, considering you cannot register any more, nor can you even log in unless you were a beta member. Can't see how they have "10 million users", when most of them aren't even activated since you cannot even log in anymore.

On another note, claiming that you'll get 100 million users by the end of 2012 is bullshit. Stop jerking around Perry and do something that's mind blowing, or else you'll just fall victim to OnLive.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
I dont know... it this works, i mean.... you dont need a pc anymore... well. techniclly.

But guys, its still crazy. I think it actually may work....

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Really don't think this is a successful business concept..

1.) Most people in the U.S have "broadband" a.k.a about 600 kilobytes down-speed average. Maybe if "broadband" was considered 100 mbps standard, this would be doable.
2.) Most gaming is competitive by nature, so again, who wants another computer acting as a proxy to slow down connections and stream a game.
3.) What the hell were you thinking? Internet Connections and Mainstream Hardware wont be there for a while.. and even if they were.. i would rather have native performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.