Galaxy Note 8 or Tegra Note 7?

charliepage88

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Hello Everyone,

I've been doing a lot of research and recently wanted to purchase a tablet for around $200. I had settled on the EVGA Tegra Note 7, when a co-worker pointed out that the Galaxy Note 8" is marked down at the same price (refurbished) on woot right:

http://www.woot.com/offers/galaxy-note-8-tablet-1?ref=cnt_wp_3_1

With the $10 promo code on new egg, the tegra comes in $10 cheaper - but not a substantial difference. I was wonder what people's opinion were on the two?

I'm basically wanting a tablet that has good writing capability (and I'd like to draw), is fairly quick, the screen quality is nice, don't care really about the camera or speaker quality and that it's a good quality product.

From what I've gathered from others opinion is that both have very good writing capability (I've seen mixed thoughts on which is better on that mark), the Tegra is faster - but both are good, both screens are good (but the Tegra's is outdated?) and overall mixed opinion on which is the better buy and most importantly - which is the better buy at $200 each, rather than a $100-$150 price difference normally.

Anyways, I appreciate any thoughts anyone could share on the matter. Thank you!

Solution
With writing I am assuming using a stylus and such? The Galaxy note 8 has a more "smooth" experience. I am not saying the Tegra is bad or anything its actually almost neck and neck with the Galaxy note 8 but the Galaxy note 8 has some minor differences which makes it overall better.
Battery life, ram, etc.
Either or are great.

Austin R

Estimable
Feb 27, 2014
Galaxy Note 8 hands down, faster and can run a lot more at a time as well as better graphics.

EDIT: misread the processors, the Tegra has a slightly better CPU. I would still go for the Galaxy Note 8.

charliepage88

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009

What do you think in regards to the writing ability of those two devices? I'll be doing web browsing and that, but if one had much better capabilities in regards to writing (drawing/note taking) then I'd be interested in that. I saw really mixed opinions on that, so was curious.

As for screen size - I'm not really sure, I've never owned a tablet, it seems like an extra inch would be a good thing though. :p

Austin R

Estimable
Feb 27, 2014
With writing I am assuming using a stylus and such? The Galaxy note 8 has a more "smooth" experience. I am not saying the Tegra is bad or anything its actually almost neck and neck with the Galaxy note 8 but the Galaxy note 8 has some minor differences which makes it overall better.
Battery life, ram, etc.
Either or are great.

Solution

Username101216

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014
If your main purpose is gaming then go for the Tegra Note 7. What I've heard about Note 8" is that it has a lot of glitches and bugs (http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/galaxy-note-8-0-problems/) . The stylus on the Tegra Note 7 is better but it is not as advanced as the one on the Note 8" (not as many features).