Galaxy Note II or iPad Mini II

Kai Dowin

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Hello,

I currently own a Galaxy Note II and I'm quite satisfied with it.

Yesterday a friend of mine offered me to buy me a brand new iPad Mini II 16GB WiFi in exchanged for my phone, which is also a 16GB version.

My main usage is basically dictionary (Japanese - English - Portuguese) and also handwriting the Japanese symbols (kanji) on the screen in order to find them on special dictionaries. In this aspect, the Galaxy Note II's stylus is terrific.

The Galaxy Note II has the upper hand on kanji searching and it's far more portable, but the iPad Mini II has a better 'normal' dictionary software and also is more comfortable to read on. Also, the latter seems to have a better battery.

Besides, I use OS X at home and was wondering whether I would benefit of the OS X - iOS integration. I think not much, however.

I really don't know which one I should pick.

Solution
As a pure tablet the mini wins out because the Note is still a bit small for extended reading/gaming/surfing and the IOS app selection is still superior but since the Note also serves as a phone it makes a great compromise device for someone who only wants to carry one device.

If I were to trade my Note 3 for an ipad I'd still be needing to buy a phone and having used a phablet I'm NEVER going back to a smaller phone so I'd end up spending a ton of money buying another Note off contract and thus it would make more sense to just buy the ipad, whoich is what I did. Evaluating a trade of a phone for a tablet is rather hard to do without knowing what your phone options are. I'm assuming you currently use the Note as your phone?

As for...

notherdude

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
As a pure tablet the mini wins out because the Note is still a bit small for extended reading/gaming/surfing and the IOS app selection is still superior but since the Note also serves as a phone it makes a great compromise device for someone who only wants to carry one device.

If I were to trade my Note 3 for an ipad I'd still be needing to buy a phone and having used a phablet I'm NEVER going back to a smaller phone so I'd end up spending a ton of money buying another Note off contract and thus it would make more sense to just buy the ipad, whoich is what I did. Evaluating a trade of a phone for a tablet is rather hard to do without knowing what your phone options are. I'm assuming you currently use the Note as your phone?

As for ios and mac os synergy I didn't get any as far as I can recall, but my Hackintosh is more of a hobby than it is my home environment..

Solution

Kai Dowin

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Yes, the Note is my phone. The issue is that all the 'smart' part of it is dedicated purely to dictionary and reading.

When I bought it at first I used to gaming, browsing, video watching and that sort of thing. But as I almost always have a computer at hand, using those sort of things on a phone became less and less important over time. Today, I only use it as a smartphone when commuting. So I was thinking of taking a regular, week-lasting battery feature phone for phone usage and grab the iPad for 'smart' tasks.

As of today I'd say that I'd only take the iPad if it's clearly better than the Note II for this particular usage of reading/word searching.