Galaxy S III for US to Launch with 2GB RAM, Dual-core CPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mt2e

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
The reason their getting downgraded to duel core and note quad core is because nobody has a quad core that is LTE capable yet. S3 is a pass for sure.

opckieran

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
I would rather have 2 FAST cores than 4 slower ones. I mean, seriously, it's a freaking PHONE. Not a high end gaming rig. How much multitasking can you possibly do? By the time there are multi-threaded apps worth shooting for on this platform there will be better processors as well; there is NO FUTURE-PROOFING in getting a quad core on a phone today. Plus we get 2 GB of RAM. Great for having multiple tabs open. SOLD on the S4 CPU version.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Either way both versions of the SIII are faster than the tegra 3 quad core.

Compared to the HTC One X, you'll probably see very similar performance. Obviously the marketing department at nvidia has done a good job convincing people that 4 cores are better than 2 cores...

If you bother to read the benchmark you'll see that isn't necessarily the case. The snapdragon cores are faster and push more data per cycle than the tegra, so unless you start seeing highly threaded applications (these are smartphones.... so this is highly unlikely) the tegra has absolutely no benefit over the S4.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
the dual core CPU does not currently outperform the tegra 3 (for both CPU and GPU)

The per core performance of the snapdragon CPU is much higher than the per core performance of the tegra 3 CPU and because most applications for android are still single threaded, the snapdragon CPU offers better performance.

If you were to run a game or some other process that is heavily threaded, then the tegra 3 would easily beat the snapdragon as it has a faster GPU and an overall faster CPU in that case.

The android OS while it can handle multiple cores, it is designed to use 1 core as much as possible in order to save power. Furthermore, most applications will go into an idle state if you send then to the background (background processing requires it's own dedicated code in android and very programs need it so it is still rare to activate more than 1 core even when running multiple single threaded programs. (While this lowers performance a little, android is designed this way to extend battery life (the performance lost from this is barely noticeable only really noticeable in benchmarks)

if you do multiple single threaded tasks such as downloading a torrent while surfing the web, then you will notice android push 1 process to another core if the first core is hitting 100%

In my experience with tegra 3, it is very hard to actively use more than 2 cores in a non gaming environment because I simply don't know enough programs that remain CPU intensive while in the background.

Overall, I believe that the snapdragon CPU is a far better choice than the tegra 3.

Even with my HP touchpad (running a snapdragon S3) gets a quadrant close to that of the tegra 3, (also gets about 70% of the CPU performance of the tegra 3.

The snapdragon S4 has a little bit faster CPU performance, and significantly faster memory performance (more than twice as fast as the snapdragon S3, and much more GPU performance (though not as good as the tegra 3)

PS overall the the snapdragon S4 will benchmark higher but that is mainly due to it’s really high I/O and Memory performance (much faster than the tegra 3

G

couple issues here.... First, by the time this had been posted, all the carriers had already announced pricing and at the very least when the units will be available for pre-order (vzw 6/6 $200 for 16gig). secondly as mentioned earlier, the international version uses samsungs own exynos chip.... the Tegra 3 was never even in play to go in these phones. It has been known it was exynos in non LTE markets and S4 w/ 2gigs in LTE markets for at least a month. Please fix your article.

PS. Nvidia only got a LTE modem approved just recently so I wouldn't hold your breath for a tegra 3 phone for anyone other than Tmobile and the other little guys at all. That would be a waste of money when the s4 is already available. We are more likely to see a LTE tegra 3 tablet this fall (I'm thinking "Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE" or something similar) right before something better comes out.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Actually you can start buying the International version of the Galaxy S III in the US starting June6. This has been known for a while. Newegg has it for $699 unlocked. I would rather have the quad cores with 3G than Dual cores with 4G LTE and 2GB RAM as it should have better battery life without LTE which is useless in 90% of the US anyways.

deltree86

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
I don't how people have just read the article and believe that the international version houses the tegra chip. It does not, we already have the phone being sold here contract free in Pakistan for around 600-620 bucks and no its not a tegra variant! It has the following specs:

Chipset Exynos 4212 Quad
CPU Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A9
GPU Mali-400MP

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Galaxy S III does not have a Tegra 3 in any version announced to date. What is up with misinformation central post? Research the hardware you are writing about!

G

the galaxy s s does not have the tegra 3!! it has samsung's quad core exynos SoC, which is better than tegra 3. *facepalm*

Status
Not open for further replies.