Galaxy S4 micro sd card magically vanishes overnight

BruteForceZero

Estimable
Aug 28, 2014
So I woke up this morning and much to my surprise my S4 tells me my micro sd card has been removed, and to please insert another one. Note, I have opened the back of my phone a total of maybe 3 times, and none of those were recently, so this seemed a bit bizzare. I opened the back of the phone and like I thought the micro sd card is very much still in its slot. I tried removing and then reinserting the card to no avail. Restarting the phone didn't help. I tried re-mounting the card in the storage settings, but the remount option is greyed out, with "Insert SD Card" written below it, as if no card is even in the slot.

This is perplexing. It seems my phone has just given up on reading SD cards overnight. Anybody have any clue what would cause this and/or any potential fixes?
I unfortunately don't really have a way to check if the problem is the SD card and not the phone, or vice versa, or at least not currently.

Anyway, any help or input would be appreciated.

Solution
This has happened to me on my S3 twice. Both times it was because the SD card decided to crap out on me. Got corrupted, malfunctioned, whatever it was, it just stopped being accessible. Neither my phone, my desktop, or my laptop was able to read it. Most likely the same thing happened to you. If you have another card, or can borrow one, try to see if your phone will read that one; if it does, you'll know that the problem is with your card.
This has happened to me on my S3 twice. Both times it was because the SD card decided to crap out on me. Got corrupted, malfunctioned, whatever it was, it just stopped being accessible. Neither my phone, my desktop, or my laptop was able to read it. Most likely the same thing happened to you. If you have another card, or can borrow one, try to see if your phone will read that one; if it does, you'll know that the problem is with your card.

Solution

BruteForceZero

Estimable
Aug 28, 2014

Yeah, just confirmed it with my buddy's phone. Dead card. Thanks for the reply.

Tamynna_24

Estimable
Nov 6, 2014

is there a way to get my pictures and music and everything off of that dead card? This has happened to me on my s3 as well but i have so many pictures and songs on there and really need them back.

lawyer_joe

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
Yes. Get a card recovery app. I paid under $50 and got 3 licenses for mine. It worked great and i even recovered files from cards that crapped out years ago but I never threw away.

NASDOG

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
This is technology gone EVIL, evil code and it is everywhere. We have been hijacked and Congress doesn't give a crap. These fukers are disruptors and it is bullshit.
They have stolen your access to our own well-being. Technology is cannibalizing the workforce and our right to Privacy!
If you don't complain then you are the problem.
This is dropbox imo, because these pricks just invaded my life and I never gave them the right to take away (SD CARD) what we bought and paid for to use so we DO NOT WANT THE CLOUD. They are force feeding US rectally.
THIS IS WHY WE NEED TO ROOT OUR PHONES.