Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge Hands-on: iPhone-Beating Designs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarloDIva

Estimable
Mar 1, 2015
Without a removable battery and being waterproof, I am seriously considering ditching Samsung altogether and finally going to the iPhone. Samsung has made a HUGE tactical mistake in my opinion but not understanding how/why they were different than Apple, rather than trying to copy them and coming up short (iOS8 which I've played with on other people iPhone is significantly easier than their constantly changing TouchWhiz)... RIP Samsung

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014

You're definitely not alone in your concern about the lack of battery and other trade-offs. In fact, our resident @geekinchief says that Samsung designed this phone more for critics than users: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-s6-trade-offs,news-20514.html

I don't agree but I also don't care as much about removable back.

thecrud

Honorable
May 20, 2013
All these phones have the look of Iphones.

You can BS everyone. It is a simple rip off that should not have been allowed.

Cleith

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
So because this has no removable battery and no sd card slot, you are going to the iPhone? Which has neither as well as a far inferior phone? You dont sound like an iSheep at all...really you dont???

hopeful_enthusiast

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
A classic Samsung move. In order to transition from the cheap-plastic look that plagued the Galaxy lineup they borrowed elements mostly from the iPhone (current and previous generations) as well as a few touches from the Xperia flagships and the Nexus 6. And to make things worse, they borrowed what most Android users see as major cons: the lack of expandable storage and a replaceable battery.
Samsung seems to be all about borrowing, perhaps they need a NEW new direction for design. Maybe even one that's their own.

SamsungFan

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
I have waited to update my S4 for a year. Now I find the S6 will not be waterproof or have a replaceable battery. Both necessary for me. My wife laments her inability to replace her battery in the Iphone when it is dead and has to recharge instead. I hike, bike, and boat. A water resistant phone that does not need a cumbersome bag to cover it is necessary. I am going to buy the S5 tomorrow.

thecrud

Honorable
May 20, 2013

thecrud

Honorable
May 20, 2013
I actually know what makes a phone better than one phone or another and in all cases right now Iphone wins because of Xcode.
Nothing beats it.
Even my dog can write an app.

MaxImus009

Estimable
Feb 17, 2014
Never really considered Samsung phones before because their design is so ugly, but I'm liking the Edge. I might just drop my Xperia ZL and introduce my wallet to the Edge. I'm used to the non removable back and I hardly use my 16GB on my ZL, so those aren't issues for me.

Rocdred

Estimable
Mar 15, 2015
Why oh why?

I don't see what the big deal is about the edge. Although it does make it easier to break.

I think Samsung made a decision on changing the back on economics. People tend to keep a phone with a replaceable battery longer, so by sealing battery up, when the battery starts to die, instead of replacing, you are kind of pushed towards buying a new replacement, so buy a 6 now, by the time the 7 comes out, your phone daily lifespan is cut in 1/2 and you upgrade to a 7.. How many of us are still on 3's or 4's or 5's?

Maybe this design change was made by the accountants and not to be more Apple-ish.. I dunno..possible? Could be.

For me, i'll stick to a 5 and will buy a spare for the next 3-4 years. There's not enough 'new' to really make me drool over the 6 and without the battery/sd card slot, it's an easy choice NOT to upgrade.

cannonand

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
I am sure Samsung will defeat the Apple soon.Samsung S6 edge ( Project Zero ) is best as compared to iphone 6...
Samsung is a Future

royals

Estimable
Apr 2, 2015
I am totally confused. Please suggest me I should give up my note 3 on which I am fully satisfied or buy edge?

latinalips2014

Estimable
Apr 30, 2015
Without battery exchange because there is no back panel. Or the ability to put a Expandable Memory, I won't even consider this phone. My music and pictures eat up a lot of space, hence I have a 32GB sd card on my Samsung S5. I'll wait until Samsung come up with another model thats me back my battery exchange and Expandable memory, if not...well then other phones offer it.

ZeldaLink

Estimable
Apr 30, 2015
Hate train all around as per usual.

Nothing to see here folks. Pick a phone and use it for what it is for; making calls, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.