Galaxy S9 Hits Record Low for Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

avshmu

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Where are the credits to sammobile.com, that consistently publish the same news and figures at least a day before this site does? LOL...

Apr 3, 2018
If 1 million bought S8s....maybe they are all under contract until the S10s come out. The S8 was like $800 to $900 bucks. People will want 2 yrs use minimum for that price.

Not only that, but the Rumor is that the LG will have a much better audio codec. All phones have a suitably fast processor, camera and GUI now days, with the biggest weakness being the shatty sound from mp3 compression and poor audio processing on phones, making LG perhaps a better upgrade from my S8.

manofcity1

Prominent
Dec 21, 2017
Still using my note 3,none of these phones temp me to buy them,not going ever payout another $700 plus for a phone ever again from carrier,will buy phone from ebay or more likely swappa. More than likey get note 8 from there,then trade it in when the note 9 comes outs,with all the free goodies,big sd card,360 camera,etc. for half price. I think most people who upgrade there phones do this. Wny paid $800-900. for new phone when you can wait few months get almost(in some cases brand new one) from anywhere from $200 to $300 less. don't forget lots of people now are buying unlock phones too,for half the cost.

COO2CTO

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
It could be the few who could afford the ~$1,000 phones have done so, leaving those who are more price-sensitive with their current subscriptions. However, they are still price-conscious and may be even more so with the advanced news stating the still high price points.

This could be a combined market price and saturation "wall" and it reflects Samsung and Apple's own walls of market competencies vs. share-holder value.

May 1, 2018
move the fingerprint reader back to the front of the phone!!!! When I discovered that it had moved to the back, I immediately changed my mind

Mar 29, 2018
It's for several reasons, one is the phones are very expensive. Then, all makers of smartphones keep piece-mealing improvments instead of combining all of what people want most in a phone. I don't understand why this is so hard to do. Great camera, high quality photos in low light, solid specs, great design. Instead we get great camera, but EIS not OIS. Oh, fingerprint on back next to camera, whoops! Oh, waterproof, but camera sucks. Oh wait, software sucks, but fast processor. It's a mess that doesn't have to be.

Listen to your customers. Lower prices. Better specs. Yes, you will turn a profit, and entice people to buy once you do that.

dallasbesty

Great
Apr 13, 2018
In Samsung's case, there was not enough time between the S8 and the S9 and not enough leap in technology to create a demand for the phone. People are also getting tired of paying top dollar for phones that they inherently know cost less to produce now. The twenty-somethings that always buy the new phones are saturated at the moment with current technology. If they want to sell more phones, they are going to have to come down in price to capture a larger segment of the population.

May 1, 2018
Customers now have to make payments on phones and pay full price. When the cell carriers ditched the 2 year upgrade for $200, phone sales now are showing the impact.

COO2CTO

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017

Feb 22, 2018
The problem is that even phones from 3 generations ago are still good enough for most people. Why would you want a phone that's twice as fast when the one you have is always responsive? IME nothing I do on a daily basis feels slow. So now the primary customers are people who have never had a smartphone or people with very old models. They're losing out on everyone else who really don't see the need to upgrade.

COO2CTO

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
That also makes sense as a factor contributing to this reported sales performance. It's never just one cause. It seems the sales recipe is gettig stale or has been for some time. More creativity from the marketing and pricing decision-making bodies at Samsung (and others - looking at you, Apple) have been due for awhile. These observations only prove the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS