Game laptop doesnt play games

nicholaskruk

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
i bought this laptop some time ago and it does not work with many games.
as soon as i start for example minecraft the screen starts to flicker and after 5 sec it shuts down the game. this happens with all games
does anyone know what to change so that i can play games? tried updating drives , getting windows 7.

my specs are
intel core 2 duo CPU T9500 @ 2.60 hz
4 gB ram

videocard is geforce 9600M GT

Hello nicholaskruk;
Sounds like your laptop is in the 'about to fail' stage of life. How old is it?

Do you have any problems with the laptop doing anything besides gaming?
How is it surfing the new and watching HD videos?

nicholaskruk

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
well its about 2.5 years old now. at first i only played world of warcraft and that worked 30% of the times.
when it didnt work the graphics were messed up as soon as i started the game.

Now about 3 months ago i was getting other games and they dont work. as soon as i start them up my screen starts flickering and the game shuts down

This is only with games that must be installed. flash games work fine. Everything works fine except video games. no problems with work and surfing the net and watching HD videos , although it tends to overheat

Fadekyn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Do a Bios test of the harddrive before the computer fails. You may have something going inside that has nothing to do with the rest of the computer, but if it fails before you test it you'll be stuck guessing or (gasp) paying someone to check it. With those specs minecraft should run smoothly.

Oh, also, open up the computer and check to see that your hard drive and RAM chips are firmly in place. After that, when was the last time you dusted that puppy out? Can o' air fixes a lot of stuff.

Fadekyn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
You hit f2 or f10, whatever it prompts real quick as it boots up. Then in the Bios system you can run a hard drive test. It'll tell you if anything is failing, failed or repairable.

On my comp recently, I passed the quick scan test, but on the long test my hard drive failed at 07. No clue what that means, other than my hard drive is shot. :pfff:

frozenlead

Distinguished
Not all brands of notebooks have diagnostics in their BIOS'. If you want/need to run a test, I'd suggest the Ultimate Boot CD.

Anyway, it sounds more like you having a driver issue if the rest of Windows and whatnot works fine. When was the last time you updated your drivers properly?