Gameloft Pushing Staff into 120-hr Work Weeks?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]v4nquish[/nom]A- I don't buy Apple products. Foxconn treats their people like shit.B- I wish they would manufacture more in the USA, I wouldn't mind paying 20% more for most products. (obviously not 20% more on top of the ludicrous price Apple charges)C- I'm very familiar with the European tax system as a Controller, working with an international auction company (worked there less then a year, it sucked, so I show my disapproval by leaving) and having an ex-girlfriend from Austria. I'll pass on paying 40% to 50% taxes. If the unions work there, that's fine and I'm happy for you. I just won't want what happened to Detroit happen every where in the USA.[/citation]

LOL Gameloft = Apple/Foxconn... its funny cuz its true >.<

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Necroline[/nom]Since there is only a total of 168 hours in a week I find it rather hard to believe that someone has actually worked close to 90% of that time (and lived to tell about it)./Necroline, Denmark.[/citation]

you should get some navy friends and ask about something called inserv.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]theoldgrumpybear[/nom]Ok quick math 90% of 168 is 151 not 120. 120hours a week is roughly 17hr/day. I have worked 17hr days for a week or two in a strech (when in startup mode), you can easely loose focus in a weeks time. You deffinetly loose efficiencey well within a week and after two the efficiency loss is to the point where going back to normal working hours is higher efficiency. Of course all this is individual. Some people cant handle a 14 hour day and others can do 2 weeks like this easy. Been there done that...As employers they are stupid since they probably pay OT for less than regular time efficiency.Some countries it is illegal to do this (for white collar workers), but if I am not mistaken even Denmark allows for 120hr weeks for short time periods as long as you pay correctly and not pass 2500hr/yr (could have changed since I did business there).[/citation]

Unfortunately, here in the US, "skilled technical" workers can be employed as salary workers, and can have overtime forced on them. Most of the time, though, they don't abuse that. Some do. Turnover is usually pretty high at companies like that.

As contractors, though, they can be employed on a "deliverables" system. I was doing repairs for Dell for about a week as a contractor. The company employing me would give me $15 for each service call they sent me. The first day, they sent me on 4 LCD replacements for laptops. Each repair took over an hour because they didn't include the screen bezel with the LCD. (Taking the freaking bezels off those things is both long and painful. I ended that day with 9 cuts on my fingers in various places from the plastic. I had to clean my blood off every one of those laptops before giving them back, taking more time.) With travel and prep time, I made about $5.20 per hour. I ended with week making about $6 per hour, but I had also used two tanks of gas at my expense, so my final take home pay was closer to $2 per hour. I made a total of $78 for that week after expenses. This was in 2004. Like I said, I quit after a week.

If you don't let them take advantage of you, they can't get away with it. Just walk away. that's the best way to get it to stop.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
why would i buy an apple company if i went to a shop and wanted to buy a phone for £400
but the guy was trying to sell me a super fancy apple iphone £500 i would tell him to **** **f

i would rather buy a galaxy s 2 which is way more powerful

dual core compared to an iphone and have a way better phone

i will never buy an iphone product unless they decide to lower there products i wont line apple pockets when they sell overpriced rubish

why does all comments here turn to apple bashing?

any one else like bobbing for apples?

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
dam that is ridiculous, for just a gaming company. I could see doctors doing those amount of hours to SAVE A LIFE. This is TAKING AWAY LIFE. This is why the system is all jacked up.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ThoughtProvokingName[/nom]This is why unions are formed[/citation]
with good intentions, than, after time, they try to f*** the people who use them.

[citation][nom]MM101[/nom]First thing they need is a good lawyer. Second is to all just walk out when they were scheduled to.[/citation]

you really don't get it do you. mcdonalds and burgerking do this crap too. telling to to work longer when you are off work, however in these cases, they worked off the clock, and if you didnt work, you would be fired later for someone who would do what was asked. i dont know what there employment situation is in a whole where they are, but would you risk losing your job, and potentially future employment due to no reference, on a walk out?

[citation][nom]Necroline[/nom]Since there is only a total of 168 hours in a week I find it rather hard to believe that someone has actually worked close to 90% of that time (and lived to tell about it)./Necroline, Denmark.[/citation]

when i was still big into everquest, i played the game nearly 150 hours a week by pulling allnighers and living off 2 hours of sleep here and there. when i was in hichschool i was only getting 2 hours of sleep because i had better s*** to do than finish my homework, get 2 hours of free time, than sleep (assumeing 8 hours of sleep) instead i recharged on weekends with 12-16 hours of sleep a day. i currently do nothing but sit at a computer, it takes little effort and when im doing something i could easily sit here for 16 hours+ than sleep and do the same the next day.

[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]This is not surprising. I've talked to a number of game programmers, and it's generally expected for them to work 80 hour weeks. It's easy to see some companies going even further.There was a time I considered the field, but not after hearing how tough it is.[/citation]

i considered it too, but back in the days of the super nintendo, when there were people who were the sole creative directors. now most games are a colaberation, and i seriously doubt out side of indi would i ever be able to make my dream games, but i need a budget of a AAA to do what i want...

[citation][nom]v4nquish[/nom]Your logic is laughable. No offense (seriously), but it is. Generalizations like that do nothing productive, and sadly it's become more and more common amongst the multiple 'political' parties. These employees should've left this place of employment long, long, long time ago. Dissatisfied where you work? You have 2 feet, use them. If the job market sucks, having terrible employment is better than no employment. Your employer isn't holding a gun to your head.[/citation]

actually, a no compete. its part of many contracts for anyone who works anything higher than janitor, sales rep, or assembly line.

basically is means you cant join a competing business for XX long, my dad has one for i believe 2 1/2 years after leaving he cant get work in the field he was trained if he leaves. its different if he is let go from budget constraints, but if he leaves himself, or is fired for poor work, it would be 2 1/2 years of waiting.

[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]Are you kidding me?!?! Unions support the lazy and the incompetent. They solve nothing. If anything, a union would just cripple the company until it collapses. As for the Republicans supposedly wanting all companies to treat their employees this way, think again. Republicans, like me, believe people should get what they work for, and work for what they get. If someone is not getting what they're working for, they should quit, like I did when I was in that situation. If someone is not working for what they get, they should be fired. Plain and simple. a company can't treat people that way if they can't keep people around. Any company will collapse if they can't get employees to actually do the work. That's the biggest power you have over them, if you do the job well.(You can ask The Duchossois Group about their local computer support problems. When I worked for them back in 1998, I was the only one answering the phones for 100-130 calls per day, constant with a queue of 4-5 calls on the phone, for their helpdesk. I had just enough time to take down a description of the problem and forward it on to the one person working on the problems, Granted, most of the problems were linked to very, very substandard hardware, such as the desktop machine they were using as a Lotus Notes server, being down nearly every day. I got sick due to the stress and went into the hospital for a week, to come back and find the helpdesk manager had attempted suicide in his cube while doing my job, and nobody had been answering the phones for the last two days of the week. They even left the blood on the carpet for two weeks after I got back because they were too cheap to get it replaced. a smell complaint by the senior management finally got that done. I walked out a month later. They went through 14 more people in the next year doing my job, and had gone through 6 other people in the 4 months before I took the job. I lasted 6 months. Talk about an evil company to work for. I got yelled and insulted at by senior management multiple times per day, for things that were the fault of their lack of spending on correct equipment and software. I got yelled at multiple times a day by senior management for them doing things I specifically told them NOT to do, like switching around PCMCIA cards on their laptops, and thus creating IRQ conflicts. I bet they still have major problems with staffing their computer support positions. I had similar situations with IBM and a couple other small companies. I boycott their products to this day.)[/citation]

there is one great thing that unions do.
companies cant fire you when you work there long enough and do enough that you can ask for a raise, than go and higher a new person to replace you because its cheaper. this is common place in programing fields, at least when my friend still worked in the field, he sense moved to i believe industrial electrician, due to the massive pay bump and not siting in front of a pc all day (15$ an hour, to 40$).

--------

now if they pay accordingly, such as 40 hours a week is normal, anything over is half, and holidays and sunday is double (if you aren't scheduled for Sunday and its a call in)

lets take a 10$ an hour job. thats 400$ for 40 hours. than the 80 extra is 1200$ for a total of 1400$ for 120 hours of work. if they don't pay over time, thats kind of sick to me.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]Are you kidding me?!?! Unions support the lazy and the incompetent. They solve nothing. If anything, a union would just cripple the company until it collapses. As for the Republicans supposedly wanting all companies to treat their employees this way, think again. Republicans, like me, believe people should get what they work for, and work for what they get. If someone is not getting what they're working for, they should quit, like I did when I was in that situation. If someone is not working for what they get, they should be fired. Plain and simple. a company can't treat people that way if they can't keep people around. Any company will collapse if they can't get employees to actually do the work. That's the biggest power you have over them, if you do the job well.(You can ask The Duchossois Group about their local computer support problems. When I worked for them back in 1998, I was the only one answering the phones for 100-130 calls per day, constant with a queue of 4-5 calls on the phone, for their helpdesk. I had just enough time to take down a description of the problem and forward it on to the one person working on the problems, Granted, most of the problems were linked to very, very substandard hardware, such as the desktop machine they were using as a Lotus Notes server, being down nearly every day. I got sick due to the stress and went into the hospital for a week, to come back and find the helpdesk manager had attempted suicide in his cube while doing my job, and nobody had been answering the phones for the last two days of the week. They even left the blood on the carpet for two weeks after I got back because they were too cheap to get it replaced. a smell complaint by the senior management finally got that done. I walked out a month later. They went through 14 more people in the next year doing my job, and had gone through 6 other people in the 4 months before I took the job. I lasted 6 months. Talk about an evil company to work for. I got yelled and insulted at by senior management multiple times per day, for things that were the fault of their lack of spending on correct equipment and software. I got yelled at multiple times a day by senior management for them doing things I specifically told them NOT to do, like switching around PCMCIA cards on their laptops, and thus creating IRQ conflicts. I bet they still have major problems with staffing their computer support positions. I had similar situations with IBM and a couple other small companies. I boycott their products to this day.)[/citation]

I so badly want to make this a political rant but i'll stay ontopic.

Your supposed to be able to work without being place in the hospital for a week because your lazy capitalistic bosses want to make some extra money. That's exacly how you disregard human lives. This is why working in europe is considered alot better than working in the US. Governments dont allow companys to feed of peoples health. It's a serious crime to even try and force someone to work overtime. Everyone has the right to a life no exception. If you chose on the other hand to be a complete dick and waste your life working your life away then it's your own problem.

I for one welcome unions because i've had a really bad boss once and she was the nastiest bitch ever. I finally told her to fuck of and reported her for abusing her position and made sure she was fired.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]This is another reason why ALL US BUSINESSES should be required to have a union.If republicans could have their way all businesses would treat their employees the way Gameloft does to theirs.[/citation]
Yeah,...just look at how great UAW did for GM. They were directly responsible for GM filing bankruptcy. Due to Union demands. UAW is the reason there is no longer a Ford F-Series assembly plant in Norfolk, Va. Unions serve no purpose but to damage companies financially.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Yeah,...just look at how great UAW did for GM. They were directly responsible for GM filing bankruptcy. Due to Union demands. UAW is the reason there is no longer a Ford F-Series assembly plant in Norfolk, Va. Unions serve no purpose but to damage companies financially.[/citation]
Well, that may be going to far. Unions serve a purpose, but a lot of times Unions also abuse their power. Ok, maybe most the time they abuse it. Of course the businesses had an alternative; having people in other countries build them.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]This is another reason why ALL US BUSINESSES should be required to have a union.If republicans could have their way all businesses would treat their employees the way Gameloft does to theirs.[/citation]

Just so you are aware, this is taking place in New Zealand. Not the USA.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Yeah,...just look at how great UAW did for GM. They were directly responsible for GM filing bankruptcy. Due to Union demands. UAW is the reason there is no longer a Ford F-Series assembly plant in Norfolk, Va. Unions serve no purpose but to damage companies financially.[/citation]

I hardly think UAW did that by them self. Large parts of GMs bancrupcy was because the car market was doing really poorly those years. Like everything GM got screwed by the economy.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]idono[/nom]I hardly think UAW did that by them self. Large parts of GMs bancrupcy was because the car market was doing really poorly those years. Like everything GM got screwed by the economy.[/citation]
Extremely poor management also had a major hand in it. First off, they agreed to the union requests, obviously making the assumption that the good times would always continue, so they're just as guilty of ruining the company as the UAW. Secondly, GM focused heavily on their more profitable large truck/suv division and ignored their small economical cars, so the foreign companies slaughtered them when owning a 10 mpg vehicle as a commuter was a stupid idea for the average consumer.

spentshells

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
[citation][nom]v4nquish[/nom]Your logic is laughable. No offense (seriously), but it is. Generalizations like that do nothing productive, and sadly it's become more and more common amongst the multiple 'political' parties. These employees should've left this place of employment long, long, long time ago. Dissatisfied where you work? You have 2 feet, use them. If the job market sucks, having terrible employment is better than no employment. Your employer isn't holding a gun to your head.[/citation]

What your saying is true they are not being held at gunpoint

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Companies get away with stuff like this for 1 reason and 1 reason alone... THE EMPLOYEES LET THEM!

It doesn't take a union, it doesn't take the government; it only takes an individual with personnel responsibility to stop it. These programmers need to grow a set, but i guess they need mommy (aka government or a union) to do the work for them as some of you are suggesting.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Watson retaliated, saying that the contractual conditions are in fact in violation of New Zealand health and safety legislation.

Unfortunately, Gameloft reserves the right to define the "contractual hours". Multiple unnamed sources stepped up to say that Gameloft can request staff to work "reasonable hours" without remuneration. In fact, Gameloft management can decide what's necessary -- what those reasonable hours are -- in order to get a project done.

some more info:

What are the maximum hours an employee can work in a day?

The hours of work an employee works is a matter for agreement between the employer and employee.

It is common practice to agree, as part of your employment agreement, to undertake additional work, as reasonably required, by your employer and agree on appropriate compensation for this. See the 'Department of Labour Employment Agreement Guide' for examples of such clauses in employment agreements.

If an employer wishes to change an employee's hours of work, they will need to get the employee's agreement to do this. Click here for more information.

Under the Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992, the employer has an obligation to take all practicable steps to ensure an employee is healthy and safe in the workplace. This includes ensuring an employee does not work hours that may put their health or safety at risk.

Source: Department of Labour http://www.dol.govt.nz/workplace/knowledgebase/item/1451

Regardless of whether not the employer consents, is there no system in place including under the H&S Act, to ensure employers aren't working their staff to death?

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
If I'm needed to work a 100 hour week, it had better not be consecutive weeks, and I'd expect to see 60 hours of overtime on my paycheck that week.

Status
Not open for further replies.