Gamer Value: Average PC Beats Console

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This is one of the lamest one-sided, PC-only biased articles I have ever read. The HDTV and multiple controller complaints are ludicrous. Add in the claim of a "good" gaming PC upgrade for around $130 and you have one fantastic load of fairy dust.

G

Dudes "payC's" are far from frugal, I'll give you my personal rundown

A Xbox 360 connected to a decent at least 22" monitor is good enough for anybody 12" away from the screen!(And it cost less than $300 dollars cheap games are abundant, NEED I Remind you of the Xenos's GPU which has a daughter edram chip which gives 4xAA FREE!).

A PS3 with a decent LCD monitor, yellow dog linux can potentially "replace" a PC for common users. And still play "ok" looking games.

A MOTHA'FREAKING gaming PC do not get me started on the price anybody who spent less than $600 on a gaming pc 5 years ago and can play Far cry 2 decently without upgrading raise you 6 hands.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
What the hell are you talking about? The 360 Arcade is cheaper than the Wii. I don't know why you need to add the price of an HDTV. Should be comparing the price of a $200 Xbox 360 (with no display) to a $200 PC (with no display).
I'm a PC gamer, but sorry, the console is much cheaper. You can't build a gaming PC for $200.

830hobbes

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
This biased article leaves out some important points. It compares the need for a $700 HDTV for a console to a PC that usually has something around a 20 inch screen (assuming you don't also spend the $700 in the process of turning the PC into a gaming rig)

It also compares the need to buy several new controllers for a gaming system to a computer which you can play online. How could you gloss over the fact that gaming systems can also be played online (albeit, usually for a fee)?

I'm not a PC or game system guy, I just had higher expectations of this article.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]What the hell are you talking about? The 360 Arcade is cheaper than the Wii. I don't know why you need to add the price of an HDTV. Should be comparing the price of a $200 Xbox 360 (with no display) to a $200 PC (with no display).I'm a PC gamer, but sorry, the console is much cheaper. You can't build a gaming PC for $200.[/citation]

Did you actually bother reading the article? First off who would have a PC without a monitor? My god! Second, it was about getting the MOST out of that system, and the article even said that a console would be cheaper ($900) than an all out gaming PC (at $1500). Lastly, the Arcade version of the 360 is a joke! You can't play half the games because they have DLC and various patches, and even IF you want to compare the two, upgrading a PC still only costs $150 versus your $200 for a pathetic excuse for a system.

G

ha ha, if u wanna play games like half life 2 and counter-strike 1.5, and nfs hot pursuit, even a geforce 2 card is enough. But if u really want to play the latest games on a 22-inch panel at high resolutions and quality settings, you need at least a GTX 260/HD 4850 and a core 2 duo E8500/phenom II X2/ Athlon X2 3.2 GHZ

G

for how long the pc gamers goin to play crysis over and over again? the only game they could mention for pc is crysis? and on the console there are tons of great games and cryengine 3 and new ID software engine are optimized for console and what pc gamers get is 2nd hand ported games and it has been ports that makes pc games ugly such as GTA IV. high resolution doesn't mean much, its all about games, nintendo wii doesn't need 280GTX to run its games but the games are fun enough :)

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]xgamer[/nom]for how long the pc gamers goin to play crysis over and over again?[/citation]

For however long the mod community keeps making mods for it.

[citation]high resolution doesn't mean much, its all about games, nintendo wii doesn't need 280GTX to run its games but the games are fun enough[/citation]

...for all of 10 minutes.

Granted, there are some fantastic console games. It's just that the console with the fantastic games isn't the Wii.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
[citation][nom]dingumf[/nom]Console owner aren't just in US. Small families in Japan who own Wiis also count. Console owners are all over the world.[/citation]

And (most of) the people that buy the wii will also have a cheap n nasty pc cable of wii quality gfx. I think the article was targeting those with "next gen" consoles. Either way we can all conclude the article sucked :)

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]In your article you try to argue that you must include the cost of a television as part of a console package. I am not exactly sure what the author views PC games on, but you need a computer monitor if you want to see anything. Therefore, to be fair, you need to add in the cost of a comparable computer monitor as part of the PC cost. I am not sure where you go shopping, but I can find 32" HDTV/monitors for less than $600. So, the whole cost of what you view games on is moot since you need to add the cost to both. If you try to argue that, 'well I have a computer so I have a monitor.' Then the same reasoning goes that if I have a console gaming system I have a TV. Duh![/citation]

If you had read the article, it was already mentioned that the owner will likely already own a PC. That implies they will own a monitor. And, it is almost standard now for a 17/19" monitor with any reasonable package. 17/19" monitors are capable of the mid-lower end of high definition. And, in todays world of gross over-purchasing, I wouldn't be suprised if many people owned 22"/24" up to 30" monitors, even with their low-spec PCs. Owning a semi-decent PC monitor is actually MORE common than owning a HDTV.

Sadly though, some unfortunate people still own CRT monitors and monitors of the 15" variety, but even then, they can reach modest quality.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
You say that controllers are a hidden cost going against it in console vs PC, but when was the last time you played split screen on a PC? Not many games support it, and not many people even consider it a feasible option. Sharing a 19" monitor? No thanks. And before someone says, "Well, you might have a big monitor," we're talking about gaming on a budget. The target of the article obviously isn't people who have 30" screens.

tl;dr: Controllor costs shouldn't be a factor when comparing PCs and Consoles.

Continuing along those lines, the extra cost of the console/controllors means you have a party system. If you want to have some friends over and play a multiplayer PC game, you'll either need a second PC (well over $400) or they'll need to haul theirs over - a major hassle. For a console they just bring along their own controller (or borrow one of yours) and you're ready to go and headshot some noobs (or each other).

As far as paying for multiplayer, there are many PC games which also cost money to play. Others have their multiplayer hosted on horrid servers, or are a jumbled mess seemingly programmed by someone with no UI experience whatsoever. I might need to pay for Xbox Live, but my money's going toward a quality experience. Not saying that's every game, but you know what I mean.

That said, when it comes my personal choice I prefer console simply because I like using a controller more, but using them on games not optimized for them (read: most PC games) is just painful.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]beninchi[/nom] Hook it up to a HDTV and get a gamepad and it will act a lot like a console. Plus, internet use, organizing photos, video editing, finances, work, school, shop, what can't you do with a PC?[/citation]

true but imagine a 10 year old kid trying to hook there pc up to a hdtv its not always a plug and play thing. come pcs can acxt weird when trying to hookup a poc to a TV. first finding the right resolution for windows and then trying to configure ever game to use the fullscreen of the TV.

mind you i do still think PC is a better gaming platform than any console. just the PC is not as user friendly in some cases as a console

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]830hobbes[/nom]This biased article leaves out some important points. It compares the need for a $700 HDTV for a console to a PC that usually has something around a 20 inch screen (assuming you don't also spend the $700 in the process of turning the PC into a gaming rig)It also compares the need to buy several new controllers for a gaming system to a computer which you can play online. How could you gloss over the fact that gaming systems can also be played online (albeit, usually for a fee)?I'm not a PC or game system guy, I just had higher expectations of this article.[/citation]

LOL, there talking about a common gamer!! the common gamer is not going to go out of the way to spend $2000 like you to play one game. a $200.00 PC can play games like they offer on Xbox live arcade

G

Its unfortunate to see so many people being ignorant when they post comments. His article yes was a little vague on details and lacked a little bit of common sense in some parts but I think it had a lot of good points. I know console is far cheaper but my reasons for never upgrading to a console are the following.

The console costs roughly 250-300 with hard drive, dont give me ebay crap, used and refurbished, we are talking brand new retail stuff.
Then you only have one controller, okay so you buy another at the store, 49.99
-hdmi cable 20?
-wireless network card 80?
-2 more controllers 100?
Then lets say you already have a tv okay thats fine.

All that to play an fps game on a console with analog controls? WTF?
Im sorry but I grew up on nothing but consoles, and once I played an fps on a computer it was over.

No one in their right mind can say fps is anything close to fps with mouse and keyboard, you are lying to yourself.
Also I like being able to in one second alt tab and go check my email, or look up a cheat code, or listen to an mp3.

Yes all can be done with an xbox but its just not the same.
Also xbox live sucks, I don't know who it was that said xbox live is better then online game ui for cpu but you're sad.

If consoles had mouse and keyboard I would be game, until then Ill take my fps games and run with it.

Also crysis, world at war, l4d, chronicles of riddick,team fortress 2, portal, half life series, gears of war 1, doom 3, quake 4, rainbow six games, counterstrike source..

Im sorry it would be a joke watching a console player trying to beat any veteran player in those games with a controller vs mouse.

Consoles cheaper- way easier hookup and gameplay, no headaches, software problems, etc.

Pc's way better for rts and fps, better graphics, can do way more things with much more ease, less pricey games on release, tons of customability, mods, etc.

For me pc, for others maybe console. If you buy a console for fps you are just mistaken. Stick to racing games and sports games and you will be fine.

stevensl2

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Haha everyone here is probably a techie, or a Gamer, so PC are obviously more appealing to us. People with Consoles, are probably playing it as we are posting these comments.

Because they don't understand how great the PC really is, they probably tried a game and oh, it runs poorly on their HP, Dell PC and gave up.

Most console gamers don't even know what a graphic card is. How much better their games will run on a good PC.

Vermil

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Doesn't take a dual-core. Doesn't take 400W PSU. Doesn't take $130.
After spending almost months of nagging, I finally persuaded a friend of mine to buy $50 HD4650 and stick it into his old disgusting P4-Dell. It revolutionized his world, opened it to a ton of fabulous, classic PC-shooters. Formerly proud XBox360 owner, he's now an avid PC-gamer. I predict that in about a year from now, maybe sooner, he'll ask me what it costs to have me build him a more powerful PC. "800-900 with Windows7 licence" I'll say. Now mind you, by that time his Dell will be so old, he had planned to replace it anyway.

mdbrotha03

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I own all, including a i7 based PC. Each has it pros and cons. You don't need a high def tv to enjoy a console. Since most people have a computer monitor, why don't you mention that you can hook up the consoles to the monitor and play at high def resolutions.

engrpiman

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
good read. I agree with your cost estimate. I don't have a TV so the cost of a 360 would be higher for me.

1/2 a year ago I build my mom a new computer. for $900 I was able to get a 9600GT , Q6600 and 4GB DDR2 ram.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
i was just explaining this to someone the other day when they were talking about the "amazing" reduced price of the "new" ps3 slim thats coming out, and how they're thinking about buying one (after having already owned a ps3 which went bad and sony wouldnt repair/replace). They have a dual core computer with a gig of ram... HELLO, put a 9800gt (or other

Status
Not open for further replies.