Gamergate Is About Harassment and Exclusion, Not Ethics (Op-Ed)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Das Fuhrer

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
Stopped reading at "I think media critic Anita Sarkeesian is just about spot-on in her YouTube series". Her videos have been put in their place, they've been pulled apart and analyzed and proven to be a load of horse crap dozens of times.

GamerGate has nothing to do with any of that, It's about censorship and corruption in video game journalism. That's all it's ever been about, everything else is just people who are legitimately angry with the industry expressing it.

Stop trying to move around the issue like this, you're just making it worse for yourself. It's been going on for a month now and I don't care how many websites you manage to have censored it's not going to go away until you bastards fess up and take steps to actively fix this mess. We are not your playthings, we have opinions and we are the ones who empower you, not the other way around, and you had better understand that quick.

jpishgar

VP, Global Community
Jan 5, 2010
Hey all!

As a reminder, personal insults are not tolerated on Tom's. We respect and welcome dissent or disagreement with opinion editorial pieces and news articles, but require compliance with the Rules of Conduct.

http://www.tomsguide.com/community/faq.html

We *adore* opposing viewpoint, we relish opportunity to have our editorial and news folks make their points or address your concerns. The news peeps dig that stuff right up. From Community's perspective, please note, that on Tom's, if you make personal attacks against anyone, user or author, you will be expunged.

Civility is compulsory.

Thanks for your cooperation!

-JP

Not agamer

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
What I see is a group of people who say: "I don't like this game, or I don't agree with this person. Therefore this game must be entirely bad, and this person must be entirely wrong. That means that anyone who does like this game or agree with this person must be getting paid to pretend that they do."

The real issue here is freedom of speech. Shouting down and harassing someone of differing opinion is not showing respect for freedom of speech. Unfortunately, what you describe above is a microcosm if what is happening in out culture on a much larger scale.

We as citizens first and foremost must embrace and defend our freedoms from those who would suppress them. Kudos to you for speaking out.

takeabreath

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014

Never has Anita Sarkeesian said she doesn't like a game or that any game should be banned. All she has said is that from her perspective, its problematic how women are depicted in video games. In the specific video that allegedly resulted in threats that caused her to have to flee her home, she was merely pointing out how scantily clad female characters are often strewn in the background of video games and are often depicted as victims of violence to provide a specific tone. While she isn't the only one to point this out, she is one of the first. She has never once said that these video games should be banned and that they are totally wrong or evil, merely she has just pointed out the casual debasement of women that often happens in AAA video game design. All she wants to do with her videos is get people to notice that this happens and maybe think first before they blithely throw another dead prostitute in the background to set a mood. She's not saying that there can be no prostitute characters or even no dead prostitute characters in video games, just maybe that we should all acknowledge that it's a common characteristic of video games that should be thought about.

I get that its shocking when an outsider suddenly comes in and says hey some of this is messed up, but the only people shouting down and harassing people are those that try to shut the Anita Sarkeesians of the world down. She is just as entitled to free speech as everyone else, yet from the moment she even announced her project on Kickstarter (BEFORE she even had said anything) she has been the victim of attacks and abuse. How can you legitimately say that you are defending free speech if you are defending those who wanted to censor and block the speech of someone who announced the sort of things she was going to say before she had even said anything?

jpishgar

VP, Global Community
Jan 5, 2010
I'm going to editorialize a little here - I rarely ever do this, but the subject matter intersects two big parts of where I live.

Some quick personal notes by way of credentials before wading in. I'm a hardcore gamer. Grand strategy, RTS, RPG, MMO. Not a high priest of the PC Master Race by any stretch, but when I'm not working, I'm gaming or thinking about gaming. I often express the physical realm in game terms for clarity's sake.

I'm a former game developer with Big Huge Games, Sony Online Entertainment, Sulake, and a handful of other projects and games here and there, so I've seen it on the inside as well as the outside. I've lead a few garage games teams additionally - one of the many indie efforts that tried and failed, but had a lot of fun doing it.

On top of this, I'm also a Community guy, and have been in the gaming arena too. Being the Community goober, you live at the nexus of communications to and from the game, so you see more than anyone else from not only the players, but the devs. The unending stream of thought that pours through as text is seen by me and my mods, whether it is a forum, in-game chat, or emails, Community's job is to take that stream and sift the coherent essence from it, then communicate that to the people who need to hear it. It's a lot like a game where you are sorting the intent of the consensus from the volume of the collected voice. I get a nice little jolt of endorphin when I get it right and that concentrated desire is translated into action with an outcome - not unlike leveling.

Credentials established? Yes? Cool.

I have two main takeaways from all this:

• Gaming Journalism Sucks.
I've only ever written three items Tom's. My first was the call to arms on SOPA/PIPA. The other two were reviews. Both were for games that got stellar reviews from nearly every major established gaming news outlet and that sucked so hard I had to climb away from the forum to pen a series of scathing truths because my friends were (like me) getting bilked for $50 a pop for a steaming pile of detritus and hadn't been warned. It wasn't that the games had received mixed reviews before launch, or that the games were just iffy or a matter of opinion. Games that stink like garbage juice are released constantly with 4/5 stars, 8.5/10 ratings and B+ grades from top-tier news reviews sites. The games are played for one or two hours, then discarded as the review is written. As a result, reviewers miss the meat of the game, AND publishers pack all the polished goodness they can into the first playable hours, leaving the middle and endings half-finished, shallow and rushed. The "AAA" titles out right now play like E3 demos from 5-10 years ago, great at first, but oh god, don't play more than 30 minutes or the game starts going into murder spasms on your hard drive and you wish you were dead from boredom.

None of the major gaming journalism sites dare say to the AAA publishers what they need to, or rate the games what they are worth. Take a peek at Metacritic and check out the gaming section. See the massive discrepancy between average review rating and user rating for most games? That's not just because gamers are pickier than movie-watchers. It's because gaming review sites suck. They are paid to suck. You, the attentive audience, are not their master. Their master is the AAA publisher with the massive ad buy and site takeover to get ready for launch day (patches/dlc incoming, we promise!). If they give that heaping train wreck the rating it rightly deserves, how will they be able to ask for the same CPM when Facekicker 7: The Bludgeoning expansion rolls out 6 months down the pike?

Maybe I've gotten snotty or stuck-up working with Tom's for so long, because we don't do that kind of crap. Our pedigree is in telling OEMs to fix their stuff when something is horribly wrong - that's how we got our start, and it's why there's this big 40 foot wall between Sales and Editorial that the bosses get red-faced about keeping super-strong whenever they sense an overreach. Maybe it's the expectation, and the requirement that we meet that expectation that has kept us to that? I don't mean to condescend, but maybe this is the missing element from gaming journalism - an expectation that a gaming news site exist independent of the graces of the top-tier publishers and their ad buys. NewEgg, Valve, you guys busy?

• Women Aren't Treated Well in Games
On top of the above background, I've also lead a guild of thousands in an MMO or two. As a player, as a dev, as a leader of players, as a community guy, I can pretty well say that women aren't treated right or even remotely equal in games. Female game devs get big targets painted on their backs, and speedily are painted as either a b*tch or a slut with little middle ground. In the development world, there are rules women end up having to follow just to survive that guys don't have to deal with - stalkers, threats, harassment are very much a real thing, and WAY disproportionately higher than anything even remotely resembling what a dude has to deal with. When I first broke into the industry, I was astounded by the gap between how the different genders were treated. Women are expected to grow thicker skin, fast, in order to keep up with the unending torrent. Women who are gamers often get criticized for not being a "real gamer", subjected to inquiry about their gaming bonafides.

Individually, I could give a crap what Zoe Quinn or that Sarkeesian person said or did in their personal, private lives. The corruption I've been witness to in just the MMO genre of the gaming industry dwarfs even the most absurd extrapolations those individuals at the center of this latest controversy - but perpetrated by men, a blip on the radar, a fart in the wind. Daikatana produced under conditions that would have made Bernie Madoff blush. Vanguard development lead by an opium-addled sociopath. Sex with GMs for in-game items in Ultima Online. So some flawed people said women are mistreated by the gaming industry. Yep. They are. Ad hominem doesn't change that. From a gamer perspective, there are no games that I can think of that objectify men the same way women are objectified. We've all seen the hilarious comparisons of female combat armor to male combat armor - female combat armor is wet spaghetti strings, male combat armor is a metal 3-piece suit. Chalk it up to artistic direction if you like, but Samus Aran and Chell are damn few and damn far in-between Skimpy McNothingpants and her billion scantily-clad sisters.

This difference in treatment does not end at games either. I see the moderation alerts and I've been here a long time. While our audience is more restrained and considerably more polite than the average FPSer crowd (a generalization formed from direct, hardcore experience moderating both), our female reporters get more vitriolic crap on average in commentary than our male reporters do. I posted the above earlier reminder about civility being compulsory after removing a comment indicating "You and your kind...", and the cesspit of sexist commentary is not constrained to one media type.

A last note on the GamerGate thing, specifically. I object, intrinsically, to the portion of the manifesto released by one side of the controversy that mandates expression not be limited in any way. This is our house, and all here are guests. Discussion occurs here at our pleasure, and none in the discipline of community will brook the discourse of personal destruction through insults and ad hominem attacks. Talk all you like, argue and debate as you are wont, be welcome in this place and in the exchange of contrary ideas and thoughts we are bettered - but those going personal will experience the community team bringing the might of the ban hammer down upon the heads of the savage and uncivil. We will cling to the rules of hospitality, and expect visitors to obey the rules of comity. The pseudo-anarchistic push via manifesto for unfettered free speech, even and including the most reprehensible attacks on real people will end poorly. A community founded on the idea of allowing anyone to victimize anyone else through their words will eventually run out of victims and implode, or stutter along demeaning a small fraction of its own population for sport, sustained profiting off traffic generated through those interested in watching sickness on display. Not going to happen here, and the rules of conduct are sacrosanct.

-JP

takeabreath

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
Here's the thing. I'm not a "gamer," but I occasionally play video games. Two of my favorite game series are Bioshock and GTA (obviously I'm not a hardcore gamer). Obviously I expect things like scantily clad women/prostitutes and even violence towards women in the GTA series, and honestly I think its acceptable there because its relevant to the world its trying to create. Before watching her videos though I hadn't even noticed the way women were depicted in certain parts of the Bioshock games. I went back and replayed the games so I could experience the games again and I felt it wasn't totally necessary to have women strewn in the background in the scenes she cited in that way. Did it add to the general tone? Sure! But did I really even notice it or care about it/did it add anything to the game play experience? NO! That is her point. Disagree or agree with it how you will, but its a valid point to make. If it really adds to your experience fine, then just say that! Don't try to shut her down at the Kickstarter level before she even can voice her opinion. Let her say what she has to say, and then respond to it reasonably. Don't just point out that there are other options in Hitman besides killing the strippers. Argue why it's important that there be scantily clad women that are often victims of violence in the background of games. Argue how that effects your game playing experience. Don't just sit there and try to shut someone down and whine about how your free speech or the free speech of others is somehow being violated by someone criticizing your medium.

People keep talking about how one-sided this is, but before the Anita Sarkeesian/"SJW's" of the world came on the scene, NO ONE was talking about this. The media responded to them because it was something new and different in video game commentary. It's not some conspiracy, its merely people responding to a different, and yes OUTSIDER perspective on video games. Why is that such a problem?

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Can't it be about harassment & exclusion and also ethics? Is it not ok to talk about the ethics problem here? If a politician was sleeping with a Washington Post reporter that was supposed to be covering him/her, there would understandably be outrage about the lack of journalistic ethics along with the inevitable harassment and slut-shaming.

I don't think the people outraged over the ethics issue are just deflecting or pretending. This is a legitimate issue.

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
#Gamergate is not about harassment, what harassment I have seen has been coming from the other side. #Notyourshield creator?(you should google that if you want to write an ACCURATE UNBIASED article) Doxxed, harassed, and finally fired because they were calling his work. Don't agree with Anita? Find her cherry-picking and antagonistic attitude grating, You MUST be a loser virgin neckbeard women hating misogynist...

I was raised by a single mother, the person I respect the most in this world is a women BUT now I'm a misogynist!

The person I love the most in this world, my daughter, is a girl, but now I'm a misogynist!

I have never harassed anyone online or otherwise but all my complaints and criticisms are instantly dismissed and I'm saddled with these horribly dismissive and insulting labels because I dare to disagree.

There is harassment going on, ugly nasty slurs, life ending accusations, destructive and malicious doxxing, but IT IS NOT coming from the #gamergate side of the fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS