Gamers, Rest Easy: The PS4 will Support PS3 Headsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiaSin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
So they think that a microphone across the room and your TV speakers are good for voice chat? At the volume most people play console games everyone will be hearing everyone elses game over the voice chat. Not to mention.. with the way most gamers talk, if someone had kids in the house I can see the kid getting sent home from school for using language they learned from watching daddy play call of duty. Let alone the language built into games like Battlefield.

G

This is old news but still glad this will be supported on the PS4.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
@DiaSin, Remember that the XBox One is NOT being promoted as a gaming console but as an all-in-one entertainment unit. There are many, many people who will have this console and will want chat services that have nothing to do with gaming. For the majority of them, the Kinect microphone will be sufficient. Many people watch movies at loud volumes and yet the Kinect still manages to understand voice commands so I guess something is working. For these reasons headset is not being included which would only increase costs and would be something unused by many people. For those gamers who want to use a headset there will be a new one for sale or you can use an existing XBox headset with the adapter... I see nothing wrong with this approach.

@BranFlake5, Microsoft may be seen as having done things 'wrong' from the initial news of XBox One but at least they have been listening to potential customers and have made many changes to their plans, some of them quite severe. That to me can only be seen as a GOOD thing that Microsoft is doing right.

@hapkido, and how exactly would Microsoft, or any other console manufacturer make any money when customers would just go and pick up any number of USB headsets ranging from dirt cheap and rubbish up to the high end gaming headsets PC gamers use?

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
@DiaSin To be fair, the new Kinect has special software that is designed to memorize your voice and remove it from other sounds in the room, including your games audio. Apparently some journalists have seen this in use behind closed doors and were quite impressed with how well it works. However, I doubt the optional headset will cost that much, I think it even comes bundled with the play and charge kit.

RedJaron

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hapkido, both the PS2 and the PS3 were/are able to use generic USB headsets. The old PS2 headset was actually a basic Logitech set ( and I still use mine with my computer and PS3. ) However, the PlayStation can't output game/movie audio over their USB ports, so any USB only headset can only be used for voice chat. Gaming audio has to be connected to current headsets using the rear I/O, either RCA or S/PDIF connectors. The headsets themselves then mix chat and game volume together.

So it's really no surprise the PS4 won't change things, since they'll still output system audio over standard connectors and voice over USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.