Gamers Turn to Downloads During Recession

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
I made a recent decision to buy whatever games I can off of steam. Just cuz i'm sick of going through all the installing and patching and finding the disc to play. steam is much easier. For me, it really has nothing to do with steam.

ipods a joke to real gamers. seriously. Waiting for tegra handheld gaming devices.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Most of the cheap downloads are old games that suck now compared to new ones like Fallout 3, the download sites are milking the last bit of cash they can from them. Call me old fashioned but I still like my brick and mortar games and having a real disk in my possession though I do purchase many games from Amazon because of their huge PC library and great prices.

BallistaMan

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I also strongly prefer having the physical data around. But I will admit I recently purchased several games digitally (both Bioshock and Assassin's Creed when D2D had them for $5, and the Unreal collection thing on Steam when it was dirt cheap). Honestly, those all count as impulse buys. If I'm paying $50 or $60 for a game, I want that disc and manual.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
even though STEAM are leading in the digital content for PC, they often have discounts on their games, i mean in the past two weeks, its been nuts... I'm here trying to save my money, and they're not making it easy

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]OOPS, ^ I meant for me it really has nothing to do with the recession..[/citation]

Hear hear.
Save a tree, use download instead of making a box.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
Nothing better than getting wasted at home and buying a new game and playing it in the same night... But sadly in this recession most of my "new" games are free to play games as often as possible. I'd lo\/e to dump 50 bucks a week into gaming... but it just doesn't work out so hot considering that's about 200 a month and 2400 a year...

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Yea Most of my most recent PC gamer purchases were through steam.

I would buy more Games with an actual disc and such but living in california on unemployment sucks ass.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Yep, I've been downloading more than buying. It is greener (no packaging) and Steam updates your game for you. Digital downloads don't run out of stock either :D

G

Don't forget once you buy your game on Steam you can create a backup and copy that to CD or DVD so you still can have that media if you really want it.

c0r3f1ght3r

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I actually prefer buying the games via online download because then I don't have to worry about losing the game, the disc being scratched, loosing the serial key or paper work etc and the box taking up space in my tiny apartment.

G

I collect games, so downloaded versions are unacceptable for me. Even if a game is only $5 to download, I'd rather pay for the box, disc, manual, etc. Even better are the good collector's editions (the one's that actually have stuff like t-shirts, maps, medallions, tins, art books, novels, etc.)

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]until bandwidth caps are reasonable from my ISP, imma gonna stick to brick-and-mortar stores.[/citation]
Well, I have a 60GB cap, but my ISP is a bunch of idiots... Last weekend I did 80GB+ of uploading/downloading, and their reporting service told them I did like 5GB...

Yes, I download because of the recession...
Wait, I've been downloading for a long time, and Canada is essentially through its recession... so, yeah...

crash27

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
Steam will not give you a refund or any type of credit if the game doesn't work on your system but the store will.
I have many steam games but they lost my buisness for not giving me a $30 refund for a broken game.
It has cost them much since then! Stupid buisness practice.

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I prefer to buy from Steam, just because I never have to worry about losing the media, If I visit a friends I can if I want install the game there too, the number of times I have formatted my computer of the years, just to clear all the bloatware then having to search for the games and the serial numbers, now I just reinstall steam and they are all there ready to access.

I just find it more convenient and not have to search for a bloody CD to put in every time I want to play the game is HUGE plus to me

Status
Not open for further replies.