Games Industry has Average Salary of $79,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hmm... And yet they complain about piracy, cheeky bastards, the lot of em.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Computer science or computer engineering will net you plenty of money upon graduation, if you manage to make it through the course work.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I can guarantee you they are not working 80+ hours a week. That is outrageous. A little math can all but disprove that. 80+ hours a week equates to a 16 hour work day M-F or an 11+ work day 7 days a week. Neither of those are even remotely accurate. These guys might work more than the average 40 a week schedule but you might be talking about 45 hours, not 80.

Ridik876

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
How do I become a game designer? I have a 25 page "white paper" for a game design that I'll be finishing in June. Any tips?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]The unsung heroes of game development took home slightly more than $39,000 a year, with almost no salary growth over 2007.[/citation]
How little is that in comparison to other professions? It seems low to me, as I'm getting about 53K usd a year - and I'm even employed by a school - and those aren't exactly swimming in funds in my country.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
There are 1-2 good games every 2-3 years... most newer games are just photocopies of older ones - nothing new, everything is so repetitive - boring...
I'm sorry but games are overpriced and game developers earn too much for what they do...
The stupid little games made by 1-2 persons years ago had more value than most of the plagiary of today.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]zingam[/nom]There are 1-2 good games every 2-3 years... most newer games are just photocopies of older ones - nothing new, everything is so repetitive - boring...I'm sorry but games are overpriced and game developers earn too much for what they do...The stupid little games made by 1-2 persons years ago had more value than most of the plagiary of today.[/citation]

Couldn't agree less!
When I look back in time, there's been an underwhelming amount of variation in gaming. There's been a lot of good rts games in the past that seem to be almost gone now, but there has never been so varied games as there are now. Quality is relative, and if you disregard rushed ea stuff, games are of a better quality now than they were in the past too.

I'm buying considerably more than 1-2 games in a 2-3 year timespan, and I'm rarely disappointed by my purchases.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]they should be making more than that now that everyone is milking downloadable content now. come on! you have to pay to unlock something that was already on the disk? (resident evil 5)[/citation]

DLC is a new way to make people actually pay the game, instead of pirate it. Makes it more complicated for pirates - although for legit gamers as well. On a side note - it isn't nessecarily a good idea for developers to do it like that. If they've created a bunch of shit, it's better to sell the whole stack at once, than sell first part, and hope people will be stupid enough to pay the second half even if the first was rubbish.

G

Of course, executives and marketing people deserve the most pay, they obviously play the most important role in something like this, where creativity and technical skill make-or-break the game, so of course it's the people with neither who make it all possible. If I ever have a kid, and he/she turns out to be a complete dumb-ass, then I'm sending him/her to Columbia University for their renowned MBA course, just to prove that anyone can do it.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]hillarymakesmecry[/nom]Looks like I need to move into the gaming industry.[/citation]

Then learn to program. I'd recommend going with C# and XNA to learn the basics as well as doing mods for games.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
They may be making $79K a year, but most of those jobs are in the Silicon Valley, where home prices are sky high. Everything is more expensive.

[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Go to a technical school (Devry for example) and get a degree or go to a University and get a degree.[/citation]

Are you serious? Devry is on par with a community college. Devry is not even accredited for B.S. degrees in engineering, only the two year version (which is far less useful) in engineering technology.
If you want to be a game developer, get a B.S. in Computer Science from a real university.

Status
Not open for further replies.