GameStation Legally Claims 7,500 Human... Souls

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lord cobol

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Looks like a mistake either in the article or the original terms & conditions. You have to surrender your soul within 5 days of getting an email from "gamesation.co.uk" -- missing one 't'.

So, who's going to race out to register that domain and start sending emails?????

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
[citation][nom]sparsons6183[/nom]Straight outta American Gods by Neil Gaiman!!! LOL[/citation]
When does this happen in American Gods? I remember Shadow betting his life, but not his soul.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]dameon51[/nom]When does this happen in American Gods? I remember Shadow betting his life, but not his soul.[/citation]

As in, something that could totally happen.

I loved that book.

G

I would argue that the legal mubo jumbo is not written in English. therefore its not legal in any sense.
You say its in English? well most people need a translator (called a lawyer) to even marginally comprehend the stuff written there, if they ever care to try to read it. ( i once tryed to red it and my brain froze up in 10 seconds). Therefore its not written in English. Since its written in a foreign language no one can blame me for ignoring it altogether.

vigilantzhu

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Lol, some parents might think that this is a joke common among the satanics and might refuse to let their children visit the Gamestation stores.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]But I thought everyone in Europe were secular and didnt believe in god anymore.[/citation]
Secular? That's a state of government. Yes, most of Europe is secular. A large percentage is also atheist, but not all. Also, a soul isn't a Christian concept. It's not even a religious one. It's a spiritual one, and that's a whole other matter.

Alas, I don't know why I care for your ignorance, I'm a British atheist who doesn't believe in the supernatural.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
ummmm..... NO... The contract is null and void due to the fact that GOD owns your soul. You cannot sell your soul to the devil, or anybody else, because it belongs to god.

mcbowler

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
I don't consider clicking a button to be the same as signing a contract. Will that hold up in court? I hope I never have to find out.

wonspur

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]mcbowler[/nom]I don't consider clicking a button to be the same as signing a contract. Will that hold up in court? I hope I never have to find out.[/citation]
It is a contract.. you have you agree to the terms and conditions to use the "product" or "service" no one has forced you to use the product or sign but you have to if you want to use it. Unfortunately it seems that there is no other way around signing something to using something. If Blizzard said that the monthly fee for WoW was now 20 dollars a month no one could do anything about it, you could voluntarily opt out and not pay the 20 dollars but you wont be able to play the game.

G

when steve jobs tried to sign up to gamestation an error popped up saying you must already legally owe your own soul....

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I've read a lot of ToS/EULA etc., and they're usually just a bunch of BS so they can cover their ass.
I remember one job, I was given a stack of papers as thick as a book, and just told were to sign. They didn't want us to read it. Afterwards, they just started saying 'well, you agreed on contract blah blah when you started working, so, do this and blah blah' etc., even though they never actually did, and just assumed we never read the papers (which took a long time as was boring as hell).

Companies need to get realistic contracts.I'll read any one that I deem important (buy a car, yes. Signing on forums, no), and I feel it's nothing but wasted time.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]mcbowler[/nom]I don't consider clicking a button to be the same as signing a contract. Will that hold up in court? I hope I never have to find out.[/citation]
It will, because it's agreeing,signing the contract.
Have a nice day.

G

The iPhone's iTunes app store just changed their end user agreement and I had to approve the new rules before downloading something. The agreement was 77 (yes, seventyseven) pages long... That just totally absurd...

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]ummmm..... NO... The contract is null and void due to the fact that GOD owns your soul. You cannot sell your soul to the devil, or anybody else, because it belongs to god.[/citation]
Baseless assumption: 1
Not getting the joke: 1
Sense: 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS