GameStop Digital Game Downloads in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

coonday

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I wonder if pricing will remain the same because I don't see how many people would prefer to download a game from the virtual Gamestop when a real Gamestop may be nearby with tangible merchandise.

rsklingensmith

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
[citation][nom]coderdunn[/nom]Why buy from game stop when I can pick up the same game from steam when it's having a promotion?[/citation]

Maybe because you have no idea if and when Steam will be having a promotion for a certain title, not to mention all the crap steam pulls, most recently being locking you out of MW2 (not that any pc gamers actually bought that pos) until they say you can play it.

CoderDunn

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Maybe because you have no idea if and when Steam will be having a promotion for a certain title, not to mention all the crap steam pulls, most recently being locking you out of MW2 (not that any pc gamers actually bought that pos) until they say you can play it.

I guess I'm not as picky as other people then. I don't mind waiting for a good deal. Yes steam has been pulling some crap lately but it is the best digital distribution system available IMO. Steam has some really good deals if you have a little patience.

AIstudio

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
So if the governing bodies get there way and restrict everyones internet by capping, how will it be cost effective to download games etc.
I am curious as this sort of business profile would be severely crippled if they got there way. (the MPAA & RIAA)
I just cant see how it can work both ways???
This IS the way forward for future gaming and movies but i just think the above are going to kill it if they get there way.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Can someone tell me which online houses offer digital downloads of games that don't use specially tailored patches etc, and that offer their services to europeans? From january I'll have a 50Mbit connection, and I probably might feel like paying for a few of the games I'm playing if it's simple enough and doesn't come with securom.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]rsklingensmith[/nom]Not to mention all the crap steam pulls, most recently being locking you out of MW2 until they say you can play it.[/citation]

That was Activision NOT Steam....

Anyway, I think digital distribution is a very good thing. Still it isn't for everyone and won't be the majority for the market for some time. (Especially with current ISP's.)

tsheldrake

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Don't buy digital downloads from gamestop. I pre-ordered a game only to find out it's not available for download on launch day. When I tried to cancel the order by contacting Gamestop customer service they informed me they couldn't cancel it as I would have to contact the company I bought it from. I said "I bought it on your website from you". The agent informed me that it's not actually from them, it's a third party company called Trymedia.com, guess I know why it's not domedia.com. Anyways, trymedia has no phone support, just email, so now I wait to see if they are going to refund my pre purchase. I don't trust anyone that allows a third party to sell under their name and then doesn't offer any support or recourse with that said company. Don't get taken by this shady business.

Status
Not open for further replies.