GameStop to Sell Digital Downloads in Stores

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
I'm not sure about PC games but I know Best Buy has had PS3 Digital downloads for over a year in my local store and recently around E3 they added Xbox 360 Digital Downloads in-store as well.. As far as I know its only bestbuy's that have the PRE-Order Touch Kiosk but yeah I bought my map pack for COD like that as well as a bunch of arcade games on the 360.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Actually, it means you can buy a download only game with cash, for those who either don't have a credit card or are unwilling to use on online.Also, if Gamestop didn't do this they would eventually have to close stores and let staff go as the market inevitable moves to digital distribution.[/citation]

any one that thinks the "market is gonna go to digital distrubution" hasn't payed much attention to facts. Sure steam is the big boy in pc gaming now , but there are always those guys that want a physical disk , or that plus extras ( look at all the collector set versions that come out today)

in general i think this is a silly pointless idea , as many other have stated , why go to a store to buy a digital game download? not to mention it kills teh biggest point for digital games , (convienance) , most folks if they are going to a store are mostl likely to pick up aphysiocal disk version any way , and maybe even a collector edition of the game.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Personally I hate digital downloads, I can however see how some might like them. My uncle uses steam and likes it. I dont like how there's all this DLC crap. Some people do not have internet because either 1 it's not offered in their area or 2 they have had to cut back on expenses and internet was something they didnt need to survive. Ship the game with everything included and offer codes to access the info or something like that that you would have to pay for to get. I like the fact that they released Dragon Age Ultimate Edition with all the DLC included more games should do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.