GameStop's Android Tablets Arrive in Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Sooooo....GameStop has reduced its PC gaming business to a single, piddly rack (and usually just one side of said rack, unless they happen to have a lot of Blizzard inventory) but the company is now going to sell the hardware for tablet games?

Bleh....i just threw up.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Think it's possible to get a bluetooth mouse and keyboard for it. Could run older games such as warcraft 3 and lan with your friends? Or does this sort of thing already excist?

amallama

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I see Game Stop sees where the wind is blowing. Tablets are the "hot" products right now so it stands to reason they have to get piece of that pie. I am not sure of the whole business model though. Did they create a marketplace for themselves? They will be losing out if the only sell hardware and not getting a cut of he software like, hp, google, microsoft. Imagine all of the android tablet owners(with tegra 2) that could download a gamestop market with tie ins to the brick and mortar locations as well as online. (contests, promotion etc)
I will not say that tablets are the best gaming platform with the all touch screen controls but the addition of the BT game controller is nice. The should probably sweeten the deal with HDMI cables for the compatible tablets or a least a carrying case with a built in stand. (Obviously those are upsale items and the controller add on is what make them unique atm)

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
That's a solid price ($329) for a tablet. What are the 7 games it comes with? Probably lame or I would guess that they would at least list them.

I don't see tablet gaming taking off, but maybe if they market it more as a multi-purpose device they will sell. The price point is definitely SMART. If they could get it down to around $200+ I think it could actually compete with PSP Vita. Again though, what games can this thing rock?

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
[citation][nom]robwright[/nom]Sooooo....GameStop has reduced its PC gaming business to a single, piddly rack (and usually just one side of said rack, unless they happen to have a lot of Blizzard inventory) but the company is now going to sell the hardware for tablet games?Bleh....i just threw up.[/citation]
I wanted to buy SC2... had to drive 45min to the COMPUSA because GS only had a used copy of WOW...

rh_dog

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]xX_PEMDAS_Xx[/nom]I wanted to buy SC2... had to drive 45min to the COMPUSA because GS only had a used copy of WOW...[/citation]

I guess there are still COMPUSA stores where you live (Florida?). That chain went out a few years ago on the west coast.

I'm stuck with Best Buy for brick and mortar retail.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]That's a solid price ($329) for a tablet. What are the 7 games it comes with? Probably lame or I would guess that they would at least list them.[/citation]
Comes with six free games:
Dead Space
Monster Madness
Sonic CD
Cordy
Riptide GP
Re-Load

stormblade42

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
[citation][nom]rh_dog[/nom]I guess there are still COMPUSA stores where you live (Florida?). That chain went out a few years ago on the west coast.I'm stuck with Best Buy for brick and mortar retail.[/citation]

Ah, the Golden Age of buying PC games... I remember when there were places you could stroll in and see PC games for miles on the shelves (I exaggerate for effect). *sniff*

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amallama[/nom]I see Game Stop sees where the wind is blowing. Tablets are the "hot" products right now so it stands to reason they have to get piece of that pie. I am not sure of the whole business model though. Did they create a marketplace for themselves? They will be losing out if the only sell hardware and not getting a cut of he software like, hp, google, microsoft. Imagine all of the android tablet owners(with tegra 2) that could download a gamestop market with tie ins to the brick and mortar locations as well as online. (contests, promotion etc) I will not say that tablets are the best gaming platform with the all touch screen controls but the addition of the BT game controller is nice. The should probably sweeten the deal with HDMI cables for the compatible tablets or a least a carrying case with a built in stand. (Obviously those are upsale items and the controller add on is what make them unique atm)[/citation]

lol, no body would ever support a gamestop store, at least people providing content for it, as they burnt allot of bridged in the developer community a long time ago.

now as for tablets being a hot item right now, you make that sound like a fad, and tablets arent a fad anymore. at first they were an interesting product, but the more you use one, you really see how useful they can be. im not saying they will sustain the intrest they have right now, but they wont fade away.

now a tablet as a gameing device, i can see this happening, but not unless a few things are met.
1) lock down the os and hardware in a way apple would lose the term "jailbroken". what i mean is make the tablet a completely closed system, android is ok an all but you need to use less resources, and locking the os will help that a bit, as it doesnt need to be open. this allows for a less pirateable experience (i said less for a reason).
2) release a new tablet/device in cycles of 2-3 years and support 2-3 generations of hardware. think of this like a pc game, you can play it on ultra on the newest model, medium on the older, and low on the oldest, and anything older is unplayable. this allows for people who spend crap tons on games to see the platform as a viable optoin as it will last for 6-9 years before being necessary to get new
3) you need online infrastructure. think of this like steam, where if you go to a new computer, you still have all the games from the old one.
4) you need either on device controls, or a standard controller, as no real gamer likes useing a touch screen to move. if the game was built for touchscreens or works better on them, than fine, but no one wants to play a platformer, or a fps with on screen controls.
5) it must have a dock, with a disc based media (cartrage is ok too) because lets be honest, not every game can fit onto a 16-32gb storage space. the dock could have a hdd, or ssd, or possibly user upgradeable, and it would feed the game data to the device to process.

im probably forgetting a few things, but thats how i see tablts being a viable option for gameing

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]Comes with six free games:Dead SpaceMonster MadnessSonic CDCordyRiptide GPRe-Load[/citation]

Thanks for posting. Well Dead Space certainly stick outs. If it can run Dead Space with a solid framerate that's pretty sweet. Also Sonic CD, classic!

Turn this thing into a fully-fledged emulator and it would totally be worth it.

I'm actually starting to think this tablet may take off.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I have a feeling that Barnes and Noble execs have a vision on where to take Gamestop, that will change the store gradually, until it's no longer a "Gamestop" any more, and more of a "Techstop". Hell, that's probably what they'll call it.

If you walk into an independent Gamestop, it feels weird for tablets to be in there, but when you see them in one connected to the Barnes and Nobel, they make a lot of sense...

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]stormblade42[/nom]Ah, the Golden Age of buying PC games... I remember when there were places you could stroll in and see PC games for miles on the shelves (I exaggerate for effect). *sniff*[/citation]

Yeah, everything was on a CD, and we needed to drive to a store, find the CD in a huge mess, ultimately find that that store doesn't have the game, drive to another store, finally get it, drive home, install it using the stupid CD key that I typo 3 times because the G was actually a 6, and then enjoy patching for 4 hours over my 24k dial up connection.

Compared to these days, where I just click 2 buttons, and have the game automatically download over my broadband connection, patch itself, and be ready to go while by the time I'm done eating a sandwitch or watching a movie.

Boxed content on the PC is dead. Consoles are keeping it alive for this gen, but next? Who knows?

Gamestop needs to change it's business model, or it won't be profitable in the very near future. And.... hey, look! They are.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Are you ready for tablet gaming?

*facepalm* For the 9000th time: NO.. And I'll never be. Even more laughable since I just had a solid DoW 4-hour session - no way tablet will ever replace something like that.

Yeah, everything was on a CD, and we needed to drive to a store, find the CD in a huge mess, ultimately find that that store doesn't have the game, drive to another store, finally get it, drive home, install it using the stupid CD key that I typo 3 times because the G was actually a 6, and then enjoy patching for 4 hours over my 24k dial up connection.

However, back then you actually OWNED the game and I much prefer having a boxed version, having a shelf full of game boxes next to your PC rocks :) And I never had to patch anything except WC3/TFT (for multiplayer) where Blizzard was spitting out more and more balance-disrupting patches every month.

G

ok a few things to clear up. there is no "independent" gamestops. its not a franchise. and on a side note, gamestop doesnt sell a used copy of any pc game. people always complain about the authors of these articles posting false data...your nickname is either pot or black. now i dont like gamestop at all, but the company does anything and everything it can to help drive business, including branching out. gamestop has been buying companies left and right. the reason for the tablets is to utilize two companies they bought. one is impulse(like steam) and one is a cloud like streaming/gaming service. so these tablets are a perfect fit. add trades from your crappy ps3 or 360 and tell me how this wont drive your gaming industry.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]robwright[/nom]Sooooo....GameStop has reduced its PC gaming business to a single, piddly rack (and usually just one side of said rack, unless they happen to have a lot of Blizzard inventory) but the company is now going to sell the hardware for tablet games?Bleh....i just threw up.[/citation]

every one is doing , this and it jsut pisses me off, bricka nd mortar stores every where have reduce PC game stock , hell a lot of teh time thesstores dont carry ANY game that is froma mega company. in sept when i went to find a copy fo Dead Island , i checked wal mart , game stop and hastings and NON of those stores had it . even though it was a top reviewed game it was extremely hard to get from a physical store becasue it jsut wasnt a big name developer or publisher. the sad thing is is that lately big name companies games have sucked. Any way i wound up getting Dead Island off amazon.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
As a PC gamer, I can't see a touchscreen device fully replacing a desktop PC for the ultimate gaming experience.
They are, however, really nice for breaktime at work, sitting on the throne, gaming in bed, etc.
I think there is definitely a market for tablet gaming.

jeremy88

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
[citation][nom]baddassng[/nom]add trades from your crappy ps3 or 360 and tell me how this wont drive your gaming industry.[/citation]

lol whatever, I'll keep enjoying getting most updates for my games on the 360 weeks or even months before you on your pc. Oh and playing my games in HD with hardware that is 5 years old... when is the last time you bought a +$300 graphics card? Every year, or every other year?

Status
Not open for further replies.