Gaming/coding laptop ~$1000

Danrk

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
1. What is your budget?
~$1000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15-17"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Occasional Travel - mostly plugged in

5. How much battery life do you need?
2+ while not gaming

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
SC2 Medium, hopefully Diablo 3 at Low or medium

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Coding, web surfing

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
320-500

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
xotic, dell, any reputable website

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Any reputable brand

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I do use a laptop on my lap so lighter is better.

Was close to pulling the trigger on the Sager 5160. With the Sandy Bridge delay not sure if I would get it before then. Current old laptop may not make it that long. Any other suggestions comparable to the 5160?

For the Sager 5160 I would add the higher res and Win 7 OS (do not own a copy) making it up just under $1000

Hello Danrk;
Latest on the SB SATA Bug: Cougar Point Chipset Error
Since the problem looks confined to the SATA 3 Gb/s part of the chipset and if the Laptops are using the unaffected SATA 6 Gb/s 00/01 ports a SB laptop might start looking like a really attractive option for a lot of people in the market for a new rig.
If laptops do get a 'green light' expect to them to be in short supply with longish delivery times.

If you can't wait around for things to get clearer, there is still the expected 5% failure rate for systems with heavy 3GB/s data requirements. The odd really are in your favor.

TRENDING THREADS