Gaming Headset Opinions

The Walrus King

Estimable
Oct 24, 2015
Hello, I have an question that I hope a few will answer. I was wondering if there's a possibility where I could use an audiophile headset, for gaming. I'm not sure if it's a reality or not but it would make sense if it was possible right. So if you answer this thread, I'm looking for an audiophile headset under $100 (mic or not, looking for responses on headsets that the responder owns.) That's all, Thank You. The Walrus King

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
Surround sound in gaming headsets is done by either virtual surround sound software or by having multiple drivers placed in each earcup. Both methods of emulation use the same technology, DSP (digital signal processing) to create the effect.

Any headphone can take advantage of this technology, which is why using a pair of good stereo headphones is considered a better alternative compared to using a pair with multiple drivers in each side. It still processes the audio signal for the surround sound effect, just in a different way. Due to size constraints those drivers are relatively small and will not be able to produce sound the same way a larger driver can. Those larger drivers are found in stereo headphones with one driver in each side. Also since pricing is similar to traditional stereo headphones the sound quality of each driver will be compromised.

Headsets marketed for gaming usually are not built well, have poor to mediocre sound quality, are overpriced, or a combination of the former. The only headset I have seen that is reasonable is the Kingston HyperX Cloud, which was based of a good pair of headphones (Takstar PRO 80/Gemini hsr 1000).

Many people are unaware of this and using a good pair of stereo headphones truly is the way to go. Headphones with good imaging or soundstage help in gaming because you will have more accurate positional accuracy and perception of depth... obviously it will mean a more immersive gaming experience. To give an example it could prove useful in first person shooter style games by helping you pickup where the enemy's footsteps are coming from.

If you need a mic there are several options such as using a lapel or boom mic and attaching it to the headphone or cable by some mean.

Is your budget in USD? Open back headphones would be ideal though leak sound (sound escapes through perforations on grills, other people around you will be able to hear your audio) and do not isolate as well as a closed back pair. Let me know if that will be a problem, if not I can suggest some closed back headphones.

The Walrus King

Estimable
Oct 24, 2015
Hey Razerz, I would like to say that yes my budget is in US dollars and I would like it to be $100 and under. If you do read and reply to this than I would like you to lead me in the way of headphones that don't leak audio. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS