Gaming Laptop, £580 Budget, used sticky

iyaz23

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
1_What is your budget? £560

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 17.3"? bigger the screen the better

3_What screen resolution do you want? not really sure as i don't know too much about computers

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? desktop replacement?

5_How much battery life do you need? 2-3 hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
World of Warcraft - Medium to High and to be able to fraps gameplay.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
video editing, watch movies, school work, listen to music,

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? the more the better

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. N/A

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? N/A

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I've seen a few asus laptops that i like the look of but im not commited to any brand and i do not dislike any brand inparticular

13_What country do you live in? England

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I've been looking at the following two laptops:
http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=K70IO-TY002V
http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=K70IO-TY014V

i was wondering if it is worth spending the extra money going for the second choice but is there really that big of a difference? and is there anything better than these two in my price range?

thanks for taking your time to help me out :)

iyaz23

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
is there anything better going up towards the £600 mark? how well will it handle it in raids/big citys do you think?

thanks

iyaz23

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
decided to change the budget to about 650-700? I'm too afraid to go for anything that won't give me what i want

iyaz23

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
nice find :D if i'm going for that i'll be getting the £700 one.
Before you posted that i was looking at this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220586302696&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
pretty amazing for the price i thought, but it's refurbished and in the US so i would have to pay shipping + shipping tax which would probably be about £650 all together i think. Furthermore with the dell option theres the warranty and free anti-virus but I'm still tempted to risk the ebay buy even though the seller has a very good customer feeback reputation..
what would you do?

iyaz23

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
but I'm still tempted to risk the ebay buy as the seller has a very good customer feeback reputation..
what would you do?

That ASUS model will indeed give you a better gaming performance but you mentioned that you want to run WOW on Medium-High and Dell Studio 17 could do it fine.
I myself never buy something from ebay which is from another country,also i don't buy refurbished products either(unless i go and see it)but that's my opinion

iyaz23

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
The Dell Stduio 17 will be £679 while the ASUS will be £736 with all shipping taxes included (the tax is reduced as the seller is going to mark the item as refurbished and at a lower price) which has made me trust him somewhat more and the fact that he has 100% feeback and they are a company is even more reassuring.
Thanks for the help, guess I'm stuck between these two :)

iyaz23

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
one last question, if i bumped all the settings on WoW up to max bar shadows what sort of fps do you think I'd get in:
Raids
Bg's
Arenas?

thanks