Gaming Laptop ($800-900)

Grifthen

Estimable
May 7, 2014
I want to purchase a laptop for casual gaming and everyday use. Here are the options that i found:

1) Lenovo Y50 (59445890) ($850)
CPU: 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4720HQ Processor (2.60GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2GB
Memory: 8.0GB PC3L-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
Storage: Hybrid 1TB 5400 RPM+8GB SSHD

2) Asus ROG GL551JW-WH71 ($895)
CPU: 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4720HQ Processor (2.60GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2GB
Storage: 1TB 5400 RPM

3) Dell Inspiron i7559-763BLK ($799)
CPU: Intel i5-6300HQ 2.3 GHz Quad-Core (6M Cache, Turbo up to 3.2 GHz)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB
Storage: 256 GB Solid-State Drive

Which one would you choose and why? Do you recommend any other?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
An SSD is a drive the runs much faster than a traditional hard drive, meaning that games installed on it will load faster, and the laptop will feel more responsive overall. Many people are moving up to SSDs nowadays. Also, if you buy a laptop without an SSD, then get one later, you'll need to reinstall windows on the SSD. Yes, sometimes it is possible to clone/migrate...(not sure what the correct word is) windows to the SSD, but it causes problems 50% of the time. The op can get the one with an SSD, then add an extra hard drive when needed without reinstalling windows.

Sorry about the 4gb 960m. In the back of my mind I was thinking about the pc graphics card, the 960. 960m 4GB is a waste of money, because the 960m won't be able to make...

theunliked

Estimable
Dec 3, 2014
They are all have the same gpu, same amount of ram and very similar cpus in terms of performance. I'd go with the last one, because it includes 4gbs of vram (some unoptimized games like gta v need it), and a skylake cpu. Skylake uses less power, which means it'll last longer without recharging. This also depends on the battery though. Also, you'll get an SSD.

anonymous55555

Estimable
Jan 24, 2016
These computer are basically all the same. However i would rather go with the [link removed]Asus ROG GL551JW-WH71[/url] just because of the option for you to be able to upgrade it easily..... It does come with the option for a ssd to be added to it as well as the option to upgrade the ram.....I guess it come down to which of these computers feels the best ....I have heard that the [link removedy50[/url] tends to get really hot at times but is really light and very portable, the Asus on the other hand is a bit bulky but does not get really hot and the [link removed]Inspiron[/url] well , the fact that it has a i5 and the others have a i7 turns me off a bit however i have heard this model is really fast due to the components and really slim...

theunliked

Estimable
Dec 3, 2014
What you two have said is very true, but remember that the OP still has to buy an SSD, which means extra costs. The dell already comes with an SSD. I'm not a laptop guy, so I'll leave it to the other guys. They probably know more than me.

Grifthen

Estimable
May 7, 2014

I want the best overall laptop. Does the 2gb difference between the 960M 2gb and the 960M 4gb makes any difference when gaming? And what about the SSD?

Thanks!

theunliked

Estimable
Dec 3, 2014
An SSD is a drive the runs much faster than a traditional hard drive, meaning that games installed on it will load faster, and the laptop will feel more responsive overall. Many people are moving up to SSDs nowadays. Also, if you buy a laptop without an SSD, then get one later, you'll need to reinstall windows on the SSD. Yes, sometimes it is possible to clone/migrate...(not sure what the correct word is) windows to the SSD, but it causes problems 50% of the time. The op can get the one with an SSD, then add an extra hard drive when needed without reinstalling windows.

Sorry about the 4gb 960m. In the back of my mind I was thinking about the pc graphics card, the 960. 960m 4GB is a waste of money, because the 960m won't be able to make use of that much memory. The processing power isn't enough to use 4gb. So the answer is no. The 4gb version won't make a difference, because the 2gb vram isn't the bottleneck. The cpu's processor is. 2gb will be more than enough.

And...remember there's also a price tag there. I don't know if the OP cares, but the Dell is $100 cheaper than the Asus, making it a better buy. Its cheaper to install a secondary hdd than a ssd. An extra 2gb vram doesn't hurt.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS