Solved! Gaming laptop/Business laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2018
Hi guys,

I am looking for a new laptop, I have never really had a good laptop before because I predominantly use my desktop computer.

I would like the laptop to be able to be able to game, video edit, photo edit but so a gaming laptop would probably be the best option but I also want to use it for work and I’m scared of the awful battery life for them but I like the Asus Zephyrus lineup (apart from the battery life) but I don’t know whether to just get a good business laptop that can video and photo edit for the better battery life even though one of the laptops I was looking at (Dell XPS 15) is only meant to have 3hrs battery life compared to the 2hrs for a Zephyrus. 4K screen would be nice to if it’s not a gaming one and 1080p 120hz screen if it is a gaming laptop.

So in conclusion I want a nice looking laptop that isn’t too big and want it to be able to video and photo edit and I want it to be good quality and only 15inch screen but I want to know ur opinions for my case whether to go gaming laptop way or business laptop way and let me know if the battery life is that much different on a gaming laptop and is the battery still bad with light workload because that would be good.

Please just let me know all ur opinions so I can find the laptop that suits me best. Max cost £2300

P.s. this laptop will also be used for djing for fun (not as a job) but that doesn’t matter too much specs wise.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Those games and those editing suites can run on a dual-core notebook in the £700 to £1,000 range; the Zephyrus is massive over-kill for your stated needs. While I can certainly understand why you'd be fascinated with its design, the keyboard is going to take some getting used to (its location is so clearly a desperate after-thought), and the lid-actuated exhaust riser is a great-looking gimmick, but you can tell it will serve to accumulate dirt, dust, and crud, and you need to figure out how to clean this area without compromising heat dissipation.

With all respect, I would consider your games and editing software to fall in the 'light' category. Therefore, I can't see any reason to waste £2,000+ on a powerful gaming rig, or an equally...
Well, first of all you need to be more specific about your gaming ambitions, i.e. what kind of games do you play and how often do you play games. Then it would be helpful to know more about the kind of video and photo editing software you are using. Finally, you have to decide which is more important - graphics power or battery life.

It's going to be next to impossible to find a laptop that will do all the things you've mentioned even with your current budget, generous as it is.

Long battery life usually involves a dual-core CPU, integrated graphics only, a 13" screen (14" max), and no more than 1080p. This setup will easily give you 15 hours of battery life. But once you start "upgrading" any of these parameters battery life will plummet.

If you are serious about gaming, get an i7 gaming rig with a 10-series GPU. If you are serious about video/photo editing, get a Xeon-based workstation with a Quadro GPU.

Apr 27, 2018

Hi, the games I usually play are Overwatch, Fortnite, LOL and CSGO.

I video and photo edit with the typical adobe software (premiere pro, photoshop, lightroom etc.)

I have a very capable gaming desktop rig and I don’t know whether to just live without gaming from my laptop and just get one for business and photo and video editing but if I am going to not get much better battery from a editing pc then I may as well just get a gaming laptop like the Zephyrus. Do you have any suggestions of laptops for both categories. Thanks for your help!

Those games and those editing suites can run on a dual-core notebook in the £700 to £1,000 range; the Zephyrus is massive over-kill for your stated needs. While I can certainly understand why you'd be fascinated with its design, the keyboard is going to take some getting used to (its location is so clearly a desperate after-thought), and the lid-actuated exhaust riser is a great-looking gimmick, but you can tell it will serve to accumulate dirt, dust, and crud, and you need to figure out how to clean this area without compromising heat dissipation.

With all respect, I would consider your games and editing software to fall in the 'light' category. Therefore, I can't see any reason to waste £2,000+ on a powerful gaming rig, or an equally powerful workstation, if an 8th-gen Intel i5 or i7 will do the job just as effectively.

Here's one example from Amazon UK:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-15-bp106na-Convertible-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B07BC3253Y/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1524838100&sr=1-4&refinements=p_36%3A70000-100000%2Cp_n_feature_nine_browse-bin%3A7472695031%2Cp_n_style_browse-bin%3A182753031

£900 gets you an 8th-gen i7 with Intel's HD 630 integrated graphics. OverWatch and Fortnite will require some adjustments, as demonstrated in this YouTube video about OverWatch (NOTE: The IGP is the HD 620):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxM9-QXotKg

You also get a 4K screen and the convertible design. HP claim "up to 10 hours" of battery life, which is probably quite optimistic considering the 4K panel.

If you have your mind (and heart) set on the Zephyrus, it will of course handle anything game currently available and it can also be used for editing. And it's going to be the ultimate conversation piece in any social setting...

On the workstation side of the fence, you might consider a ThinkPad P51, like this one:
https://www3.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/P51/p/20HHCTO1WWENGB2/customize

This workstation will handle any editing software you'll come across, and it will also play your games without breaking a sweat.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Solution
Apr 27, 2018

I understand where ur coming from completely but as I mentioned above, if it was a gaming laptop I would want a 120hz screen which also means a fairly good gpu as well and the Zephyrus has that and looks professional and sleek and not just gaming orientated like I think most gaming laptops look and I’m not bothered about it looking cool as such just nice looking and I understand where your going with the hp laptop but there are a few issues for me with no disrespect coz I appreciate all ur help but I would definitely want 16gb of ram and I feel like not having a dedicated gpu would make editing and gaming a bit rough. But if i get a workstation type laptop that lonovo looks very promising even though I have never been that familiar with lonovo but it seems very powerful and I’m just wondering how the quadro gpus handle games coz I know they are desired for editing but not sure they’re good for gaming. If u have anymore suggestions please let me know.

Again thanks for ur help!

I agree the HP comes out a bit short on specs, but then again I did put it right next to the Zephyrus and that was probably a bit unfair. I still think it's a very decent machine, but of course it's not a true gaming device nor a professional-grade workstation.

From your added info I think you'll ultimately be better off with the Zephyrus - and its design is actually quite toned-down for a gaming rig. The Quadro GPU used in the Lenovo ThinkPad P51 is used for large-scale CAD projects and simulations (e.g. aircraft design and oil exploration) and is massive over-kill for video editing. The GPU will play sophisticated games simply because it's a very powerful graphics unit - not because it's designed to do so.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Apr 27, 2018

Just the decision of wether to get the Zephyrus over other gaming laptops or the lonovo, it’s tough, but thanks for ur help man!

Benz2377

Estimable
Jun 23, 2015
Maybe you could also check out the MSI GS65 and Gigabyte Aero15x both are the competitors of the Zephyrus and both actually have the good design. Almost the same specs. That MSI black and gold design is the bomb though

Apr 27, 2018

Thanks for your comment. Yeh I have these two systems in mind as well but I want a screen that is very colour accurate and preferably 4K which I the MSI doesn’t have I don’t think because if it did that would be my choice because it does look very nice and MSI is best price to performance imo but the new Razer Blade 4K model looks nice just a bit overpriced but aero is an option I have in mind. It’s like there’s too many options to part with my money atm but if u have any other opinions and suggestions please let me know! Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.