Gaming laptop for backpacker

SoloTraveler

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
So here's a challenge for those who know everything about current marketplace

I'm gonna be backpacking through south america and wanna take something i can game on. Lately been playing lotsa old strategy games but want something that can play bf3 and skyrim. Since i may be lugging this thing for several miles at a time, size/weight is important. I'm hoping for a 15" that'll do 1080. What it looks like is not important. In fact the uglier it is, the better. I dont't wanna attract too much attention with it. My budget is up to $1.5k.

So far im leaning towards the asus. Good price, good cooling (jungle environment), good name.

Any constructive input appreciated

SoloTraveler

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Well, it sounds safer, not necessarily better. I think most travel insurance covers laptops. Never a good idea to carry anything of value in a third world country but ya gotta live a bit.

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Being that you want a laptop to go "backpacking" in South America, I'm pretty sure you have a nice fat wallet.

Here you go:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230491

SoloTraveler

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Well backpacking pretty much defines a person as poor. Im a poor backpacker with a gaming addiction i cant shake. Some people have their heroin, i have skyrim.

Thanks for the link. I wasnt even thinkin refurbished. Heck of a deal

geofelt

Distinguished

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

Leave the laptop. Interact with the local people. Being in a third world country should give you an appreciation for the difference between "needs" and "wants". You aren't addicted, you are spoiled.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Personally I'd get a smartphone and play games on that. Every pound to have in you pack you'll feel after a few hours.

Additionally:
1) Make sure you have the appropriate plugs / adaptors you may need for local power. You may also want a small surge protector since may countries (I'm looking at you Mexico) have unstable power which can and will spike nuking your toys.

2) Black is nice but if you can duct-tape a few spots or something subtle that looks like its been repaired (by somebody who has no clue).

3) Talk to your insurance company for deductible, limits, etc. I suspect you'll get a bit of a surprise.

4) If your not going to leave it in a safe while out of your room, you may want to get some security cables, though it only slows not stops.

5) As mentioned by geofelt, you may want to consider your power needs. If your going to play out in the bush either bring a lot of extra batteries or a car sized solar panel. No point in lugging a 3lbs laptop that is dead for 2 days out in the bush.

6) In case you are still a novice, you want to pack all your gear into a backpack. Put on your winter gear (to give you the appreciation of the heat) and wander around your town / city form sunrise to sunset. Making sure you put the pack on and off a few times per hour. Don't take any elevators / ramps - only stairs and if you have any fields / forests / marsh / etc in your area spend at least a half day tromping through that in full gear as well. You could also tell your local scouts / cadets group about your plans and see if they have a day you can go out with them.

As somebody who has done a fair amount of camping, trekking and traveling, you learn that you don't need a lot and with less you can do more. That said I wish I had smart phones with translation programs when I was 1st traveling on my own.

SoloTraveler

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
My samsung galaxy 10.1 was by far my best traveling tool. Did 4 months in asia and 3+ months in central america. I got robbed in honduras and based on the security footage, im wondering if its what got me targetted. Flipping out a tablet in touristy areas prob isnt best. Now im not gonna take this laptpp out until im at the hostel. That and gaming was a bit limited with a tablet. That and i never figured out how to download my shows on it.

I like the idea of duct taping it. Nothing says falling apart better than duct tape.

Egilbe, pls keep your over played opinions on how people should travel to yourself. You are not enlightened, you are a walking cliche. "spoiled" geez, im guessing other travelers dont exactly enjoy your company.

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Egilbe had a point, you never know what you got until its gone :p

Anyway, just don't draw attention to yourself, and always carry something to defend yourself with. (In legal right's, but then again, getting a "camping" knife through security will be very, very hard.)

When I brought my Acer laptop to Boyscout summer camp, it got really sandy (no pun intended).

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

You are going to get robbed, or dead, with your attitude. You are traveling around with something that's worth more than most people make in a year. Life is cheap when most children die before they are two years old. Your life isn't anything special.

SoloTraveler

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Not sure exactly how elgible's first goofy, off the cuff attack has to do with not knowing what u had til its gone.. Whew, but leave it to public forums to bring out the nut bags. Seriously, im not taking a freakin knife. Thats just freakin idiotic.

Egilbe, just go scream at a wall or somethin man. Internet isnt your personal psychiatrist. The irony of you preaching about attitude after your unwarrented attack is just amazing. My god your transparent childish hate and anger is written all over. Try some social tact, its really important when u go traveling. I cannot imagine how u actually travel, if u do at all.

Man i need a shower

daswilhelm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
he's making a good point. most likely the federalis will take your dinero, and your valuables. wasnt just trying to make a funny point, but in all seriousness i know multiple people who have traveled south america, and all of them had something stolen, whether it be money, valuables or even identity's.

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
For sheer durability look into the Lenovo ThinkPads. Although the edge isn't their toughest it's the best for gaming with the amd A10 processor.
http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/thinkpad-edge/e535/
Besides that I'd just get something dirt cheap like a netbook.

Whatever you get see what kind of warranty you can get. Lenovo offers a accidental damage coverage option.
Also don't forget a good sleeve for it. Waterproof and something a bit shock proof.

chugot9218

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Had a dutch exchange student as a roommate, he went to Mexico for spring break (and drove there...). They got pulled over several times for "violations" that could only be resolved by greasing the proper pocket lol. Just be careful where ever you go, I can tell you lots of places in my (U.S.) city/state that I would not be walking around with even my smartphone out, let alone a tablet!