Gaming Laptop GPU Question

FearsTearsTR

Estimable
Jul 19, 2014
I'm thinking of getting a new gaming laptop which has gtx970m (MSI GE62 Apache Pro 6QF) so I was thinking because that the new gpus came out, should I wait for gtx 1070m or should I just get the laptop with gtx970m? Even if I should wait, what would be the price of those laptops which have gtx1070m?

Solution
I know people like MSI laptops, but to me they have a major drawback and that is battery life. You generally get about 2 hours on a full charge when just doing average "daily" tasks. Playing games will likely drain it in less than 1 hour. Therefore, you constantly need to worry about finding an A/C outlet if you carrying it around with you.

Macbooks are pretty good in that they are generally pretty light and have long battery life. They also hold their value very well because... no one else other than Apple sells Macbooks.

I recommend you look into the 15.6" Dell XPS 15 for $1,200. It comes with a qud core i5-6300HQ (MacBooks use dual core i5 / i7 CPUs to the best of my knowledge). It also comes with a nVidia GTX 960m which many...
Actually, the rumor mill has it that there will not be a GTX 1070m or GTX 1080m GPU. Instead laptops will use slightly altered desktop GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 chips with TDPs of 150w and 180w respectively; a little lower than the ones used in desktop graphic cards.

This is generally good news for laptop gamers because mobile version of desktop GPUs have always been less powerful than their desktop counterparts. For example, the mobile GTX 970m is only about equal to the desktop GTX 960. The mobile GTX 980m is definitely less powerful than the desktop GTX 970. The GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 used in laptops will definitely be pretty close to the performance of those same chips used in desktop graphic cards.

As for price... I don't know too early to tell. My guess is that a laptop with the GTX 1070 will cost at least $2,000.

FearsTearsTR

Estimable
Jul 19, 2014

Ouch. 2.000 dollars is way too high for me and I don't even know when these gpus will come out. What would be your suggestion to me?

In that price range it is possible to get a laptop with a GTX 980m, but definitely not a desktop GTX 980. Maybe it is possible that a laptop with a GTX 1070 can fall within that price range... But I doubt it, not unless it is on sale. However, it is too early to know.

At this moment in time the only laptop to have been announced with the GTX 1070 is the Asus ROG G752VS which costs 2,000 Euros and converts to $2,212.

http://videocardz.com/61927/asus-rog-g752vs-features-geforce-gtx-1070-for-notebooks

FearsTearsTR

Estimable
Jul 19, 2014

Oh well, I probably won't be able to get myself a laptop that has gtx1070 bc of the price and the deadline -which is until the 3rd week of September.
As I said I have 1500 hundred dollars, what should I get? I will use it for both school and at home. I already have a nice desktop but the thing is it would be nice if I had a nice laptop to use for a bit of gaming when away from home.
My current thought is, should I get the MSI GE62 or something like macbook and just don't play games when away, or something else?
What is your opinion on this?
Thanks a lot.

I know people like MSI laptops, but to me they have a major drawback and that is battery life. You generally get about 2 hours on a full charge when just doing average "daily" tasks. Playing games will likely drain it in less than 1 hour. Therefore, you constantly need to worry about finding an A/C outlet if you carrying it around with you.

Macbooks are pretty good in that they are generally pretty light and have long battery life. They also hold their value very well because... no one else other than Apple sells Macbooks.

I recommend you look into the 15.6" Dell XPS 15 for $1,200. It comes with a qud core i5-6300HQ (MacBooks use dual core i5 / i7 CPUs to the best of my knowledge). It also comes with a nVidia GTX 960m which many "hardcore" laptop gamers consider to be the minimum GPU to get for playing games on a laptop. It comes with an InfinityEdge Display which basically means it has very thin bezels making this 15.6" about the size of an average 14" laptop. That also means it is pretty light at 3.9lbs. The downside is the camera is in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. Battery life when doing average "daily" task work out to 7 - 9 hours depending on which review you read since different review site use different ways to test battery life.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15-9550-laptop/pd

MobileTechReview - Initial review of the Dell XPS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRUgx8A9q_w

MobileTechReview - Long Term review of the Dell XPS 15 (after 6 months):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gda3v2hqnFY

Regarding the reviews, I am not sure if it is the 1080p screen or the more expensive 4k screen version of the laptop (I am at work), it's been a while since I watched them. The 4k screen itself is a $400 option and if the review is for the 4k version it is likely based on there higher end Dell XPS 15 which comes with a 512GB M.2 SSD (PCIe interface) and 84WHr batter (vs. the standard 56WHr battery) which costs $1,830 (excluding the 4k screen).

Solution

FearsTearsTR

Estimable
Jul 19, 2014

That's a nice suggestion but the problem is there is nearly none being sold in our country and I don't want to get it abroad bc of the tax,shipping and guarentee issues.The ones being sold in our country is a lot more expensive (like 1900 dollars for basic fhd version)
Looks like I found another good deal with brand new 4k MSI. Maybe I'll get that one. I need to first contact the guy who sells it though. it will be a really good deal.(1300 dollars for brand new 4k? Oh Yeah! )
I know the battery life is an issue but there seems like no better option atm. Though thanks for your help. I will write here if something is not right or when I have a question in mind.
Thanks again.