Gaming laptop problem

scristi23

Estimable
Sep 8, 2015
So i bought an Asus ROG laptop with a GTX 960m 4gb, i7 4720hq and 8gb of RAM. I have this weird problem with it..I noticed that all the games I play are running like they should only when the battery is plugged in and charging. If I plug the battery out, lag spikes appear every 5 seconds, and if I play with the battery in and without charging it, it runs like crap. Do you guys have any idea about the problem?

Solution
Many gaming laptops cannot provide enough power from the battery alone, so if you unplug the charger the gpu and cpu get put into a lower power state.The GPU in my Sager pretty much gets cut in half, running on half the cores and at a half clock speed.

popatim

Splendid
Many gaming laptops cannot provide enough power from the battery alone, so if you unplug the charger the gpu and cpu get put into a lower power state.The GPU in my Sager pretty much gets cut in half, running on half the cores and at a half clock speed.

Solution

scristi23

Estimable
Sep 8, 2015
Ok, I get it in that case, but why is the game running poorer when I pull the battery out? I would prefer not to keep it in all the times. High Performance profile is selected in both situations, with or without the battery inside

Are you sure your game(s) are using the NVidia graphics? If your model uses Optimus, that might be something to look into; you can configure things in the NVidia Control Panel (in "Manage 3D Settings").

If there's no Optimus, update or try different drivers for your NVidia graphics. I've never heard of the battery causing performance problems while on AC power; there could be a hardware issue to iron out with Asus.