Gaming laptop recommendation

shabac

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
I've been researching multiple gaming laptop options. I'm looking for feedback pros/cons and recommendations for the following:

1. 17" screen
2. Video card - gtx 1070
3. Screen resolution - For playing games (BF, GTA, Skyrim, COD, Ghost Recon) - will I see a noticeable difference on a 3k/4k vs FHD (1920x1080)?
4. Would you recommend a faster refresh rate over resolution, or vice-versa? I've seen a few QHD (3k) systems with 120hz refresh, and then some UHD (4k) systems with 60mhz refresh. Fro a gaming perspective alone, looking for recommendations on this one. My initial thought was refresh rate as a priority over that high of resolution, however, I am confused by so many options.
5. Value for $$ - Trying to stay under the $2k mark, any specific manufacture and/or model recommendations? Ive been looking at AW, EVGA, Auros, Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
6. Any thoughts on Acer Predator? I wasn't considering the brand originally based off previous experience with Acer, however, within the price range, Acer does have a gtx 1080 video card.

P.S. I know some people would say to build a desktop, but I need something that I can take on the road (I travel every week) and still want to be able to game in the evening from hotel.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Solution
Acer has one of the worst quality ratings for laptops, but they are cheap. If you pick that, up to you if you want to trade possible higher chance of failure in the future vs low price now. Almost any other brand in gaming systems is equal, MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, most are made by the same core vendors anyway.

Take a look in www.xoticpc.com for a good list of systems.

Unless you get a GTX 1080 card I would stay away from 4k screens, even for a 17" model. Unless you need the high resolution for something, on a laptop screen 1080 will look as sharp as 4k on a TV.

What you do want is a good screen, IPS for good color, and a good size SSD so you don't need to use a slower platter drive to load programs from.
Acer has one of the worst quality ratings for laptops, but they are cheap. If you pick that, up to you if you want to trade possible higher chance of failure in the future vs low price now. Almost any other brand in gaming systems is equal, MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, most are made by the same core vendors anyway.

Take a look in www.xoticpc.com for a good list of systems.

Unless you get a GTX 1080 card I would stay away from 4k screens, even for a 17" model. Unless you need the high resolution for something, on a laptop screen 1080 will look as sharp as 4k on a TV.

What you do want is a good screen, IPS for good color, and a good size SSD so you don't need to use a slower platter drive to load programs from.

Solution