Gaming Laptop Recommendation

EpIckFa1LJoN

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
Hello,

Not really into laptops that much but I really need a new one for work, school, and for a little gaming on the side.

I'd say 90% of the time (maybe even more) this laptop will be used for work. I don't need much there, but I do need Microsoft Office, so anything with that pre-installed is a bonus.

For gaming, I don't mind running some AAA titles on medium-low settings, I just want to run WoW pretty well. This is where I run into issues.

For WoW I need at least a quad-core, that turbo-boosts to at least 4.0GHz, and a 1050 Ti (mobile). The 1050 Ti mobile would work perfectly fine but the faster the CPU, the better. Ideally it would have a desktop processor. If there was a way for me to get an 8700k and 1050 Ti in the same system that would be fine. However, I am fairly certain no manufacturers do that.

For the screen I would like it to be about 15" no bigger than a 17" and have a resolution of 1920x1080 60Hz. (Anything more than that will be a lot harder to run and require more graphics power). G-sync is a HUGE plus.

I also really like the Chimera from iBuyPower which can be configured with a Samsung 960 evo and an 850 evo. That would be another huge bonus. I am definitely willing to pay a little more for that.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
CPU is a bit lacking. Otherwise a good deal.

I would go out an buy a nicer laptop, but I have a desktop for the vast majority of my gaming needs. I just need a work laptop that can also play WoW pretty well or be able to take with me when I travel. Unfortunately, my desktop is not exactly mobile.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
So apparently a laptop like I want does not already exist. All the ones I find with good CPU's have 1080's or 1070 SLI and cost about $2000. Which I don't need or want.

I guess I'm stuck with a custom build.

The only two I can find are Originpc and iBuyPower, with iBuyPower being significantly cheaper.

Thinking of something like this:

Chimera P750TM1-G (NP9155) Gaming Laptop

Display :: Chimera P750TM1-G 15.6'' Full HD 1920x1080, IPS Matte with G-SYNC
Processor :: Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Processor (6x 3.70GHz/12MB L3 Cache)
Memory :: 8GB [8GB x 1] 2400MHz DDR4 SO-DIMM Laptop Memory - Samsung Original
Video Card :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 - VR Ready[P750TM1-G]
M.2 Solid State Drive :: 250GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVME SSD -- Read: 3200MB/s; Write: 1500MB/sSingle Drive
Primary Hard Drive :: 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD -- Read: 540MB/s, Write: 520MB/sSingle Drive
Media Card Reader / Writer :: Built-in 6-in-1 Media Card Reader/Writer [Laptop]
Sound Card :: High Definition Audio Interface
Network Card :: Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps LAN [Laptop]
Internal Wireless Network Adapter :: 802.11 a/c Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Combo [M.2]
Operating System :: Windows 10 Home + Office 365 Trial [FREE 30 Day Trial] - (64-bit) [NB]
Keyboard :: None
Mouse :: None
Monitor :: None
Speaker System :: None
Carrying Case :: None
Webcam :: Built-in 2.0 Mega Pixels Digital Web Video Camera
Warranty :: Standard Warranty Service - Standard One(1) Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support
Rush Service :: Standard Service - Estimated Ship in 5-10 Business Days [NB]

Problem is it is also over $2,000 and I can't change the CPU for something cheaper like an 8350k, and it probably will not overclock well being a laptop.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
That's what I am seeing. And the laptops that have the high-end Kaby Lake mobile CPU's also have 1070's at the least which is too much power for me to actually use.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dudamesh Laptop General Discussion 4
J Laptop General Discussion 3
I Laptop General Discussion 8
C Laptop General Discussion 1
L Laptop General Discussion 9
R Laptop General Discussion 1
M Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 1
A Laptop General Discussion 8
C Laptop General Discussion 1
V Laptop General Discussion 4