Solved! Gaming Laptop Suggestions Please

MJC1212

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I want to buy a laptop and have considered a couple such as the gateway FX series and the 18" HP performance notebooks. Just didnt know if i could have found something better and wanted any possible suggestions.

1_What is your budget?

I am looking to buy anything lower then $1500 if possible.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

17" or larger

3_What screen resolution do you want?

Not sure. Dont know much about resolutions but high definition visuals would be nice.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Not exactly a desktop replacement but it doesn't have to be too portable.

5_How much battery life do you need?

Not too big of a deal for me but over 5 hours if possible.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I would like to play games like World of Warcraft and Spore with high quality graphics.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.)

other then playing games, i would like to be able to surf the web, watch movie, and general school stuff.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

About 4gb

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

Nope.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

At least three years. more if possible.

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them.

Nope.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Any brand that has proven to be a good quality computer producer. I dont want to get a new flashy brand that is going to break down after a month.

13_What country do you live in?

I live in the United States.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Mike C

Solution
^all good suggestions.

One comment about your requirements, mjc. 5 hours of battery life and gaming laptops are pretty much a combo that you will never find. When you combine power hungry parts and an OS that isn't the best with battery life, you don't have a very good combo.

Would also like to point out: http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=160092&action=customize

It isn't 17'' but it competes with a lot of notebooks in that class.

MJC1212

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Also, i found a deal for the HP HDX18T for their back to school special and it seems to be very very good for the price.

The specs after customization are:
- Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P8700 (2.53 GHz)
- 4GB DDR2 System Memory
- 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive w/ ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
- 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
- 18.4" high-definition 16:9 1080p ultrawide screen.

The price for this after a coupon and instant rebates is $1062.24 including tax and shipping.

The link:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=Performance+and+entertainment&series_name=HDX18t_series

the link above is for the laptop before customization and coupon savings of $250.00

Yes and no. They take $100 off the price, but doesn't come with an OS installed. So add that money back on for a copy of Windows Vista/7 and it's back up to Sager's price.

Both of Sager/MSI models are better than this one because of their more powerful GPU.
Yes the price of the HP is good but if u can afford the SAGER/MSI model go for them

Solution