Gaming laptop where to start

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
I recently graduated from college and my parents said they would buy me a very nice laptop. I don't have a budget yet. So I am asking for help on where to start. I have built desktops before but I do not want to build a laptop.

I am wondering what are site with good customer service, prices, and choices. I am not a fan of alien wares desktops because they seem overpriced comparatively. Is this true of their laptops?

I believe my budget will be around 1-1.5k

logox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
As far as sites go I would recommend newegg.com, amazon.com, and tigerdirect.com... I believe you are correct that the alienware are overpriced. Asus and Toshiba are 2 great laptop brands.

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

Depends on where you are geographically, I'd check out Sager, Alienware (under Dell), and ASUS.

If you want it for games, and you don't need to lug it around too much (since you graduated already), Sager seems to be a good choice. Alienware and ASUS are both more expensive (although usually not by much) compared to a similarly equipped Sager.

I agree, Alienware desktops are overpriced. Laptops seem okay, but with Dell, there are frequent discounts/coupons, etc, you may not want to pay full price for an Alienware laptop if you can wait for a sale.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
You would want to buy it from the retailer where they don't charge you tax. (so you can spend it on the laptop instead)

And for that price, you should be able to get something with the GTX 670m, 7950m or maybe even a GTX 680m or 7970m in it.

For $1600, you can get a 15.6" 1080p laptop with the 7970m and a i7-3610QM (quad core @ 2.3 ghz) from sager notebooks.

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Ok so here's more info.

I play all sorts of games I have a good desktop. and I play D3, SC2, borderlands, Dungeon defenders, skyrim, civ 5. I play RTS, RPG, and turn based stratagy games.

I would like to purchase a warranty for this machine. I am turned off by amazon because of this. So I am looking for a place to start. I am looking for a website or list of website where I can purchase reasonably priced gaming laptops with good customer service and a warranty, accidental dmg is a plus.

Good to know that alien ware isn't that bad for a laptop.

Edit I live in the US

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Thanks for the information on the laptops but I was more asking where to look that has good customer service/warranty options. How good is neweggs warranty and accidental damage plans? any good websites to customize a laptop?

dudewitbow

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
at about 1k$, your laptop choices are essentially quad core current gen i7(labled as QM at end of cpu name which means quad mobile probabaly) and the GTX 660m(Kepler[more effecient] similar stregnth to somewhat around a 550ti),670m(fermi), 675m(Fermi, last gen, similar to something like the HD 6850). just above that would be the 7970m(about a gtx 570 level) and top end mr expensive card near the 2k is the 680, which is around maybe like 7870 stock clock level.

the lenovo y580 is an all around choice for mainstream laptop gaming(i7QM + 660m) MSI, Sager(xoticpc) and a few other companies are known to make more mainstream gaming builds for laptop as well.

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

If you want a good warranty, go with ASUS. ASUS offers 2 years, with 1st year covering all accidental damage, including water damage, drop, etc (if you register within a month of buying the laptop).

However, most retailers like Dell, Sager would offer you additional warranty if you want to pay for it.

As for service quality, I haven't heard of anything good with ASUS lately (so that sort of negates the warranty). Alienware and Sager then ?

You can customize a Sager here:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=products

ASUS can't be customized as far as I know.

For Alienware, it is here:

http://www.alienware.com/Landings/laptops.aspx

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
So I was thinking of getting this laptop
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/builder.workflow:Enter?sb=:000001C9:00003943:

I have no idea on the warranty how good it is, or even the company. I have seen a lot of recommendations for the company's computers on this website but I am curious how there customer support is compared to a company like sager or MSI. Which seem to be more expensive.

Maxx_Power

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012

I actually don't know how Lenovo's customer support is. Back in the day when IBM owned Thinkpads, the service was really good. They had regional service technicians in most cities who do door to door.

I have heard of things both ways with Lenovo. I would say, if you are buying Lenovo, make sure you are getting your money's worth, in that there is at least some reason why you'd pick them, and it would better not be just a few bucks.

Someone else on this forum recently ordered a Lenovo gaming machine very similar to the one you linked to, and the reason why that person decided to go with the Lenovo was because it was quite a bit cheaper than the competition. If that's the case for you, after you comparatively shopped around, then I'd say that is one reason. But I'd remain suspicious, and ask the question why it is cheaper...