Gaming Laptop.

WokSz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Tom's Hardware but found this website and its wealth of information extremely helpful. I'm looking to buy a new laptop for gaming purposes. I know that I would be better off building an actual PC but as I have to commute a lot between University and home during holidays, this option doesn't seem suitable at this point. So, my question is if you guys have a good recommendation for a gaming laptop? I'm not a huge gamer, but I do like to occasionally play WoW. I'm currently on a 2009 MacBook Pro (2.2 GHz).

I'd appreciate your help!

redguard117

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Have you checked out CyberPowerPC, IBuyPowerPC, ASUS or Sager Notebooks? They have some good gaming laptops available, which you can configure to your price range. Also, xoticpc.com gives you a wealth of options.

If the most you're looking at is WOW, you can probably get away with a Geforce GT 540M, which is a midrange card from Nvidia.

A good website for checking Laptop GPUs is notebookcheck.com, they let you compare with other gpus and have various charts with benchmarks. For example, for the 540m http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-540M.41715.0.html

WokSz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

Thanks a lot for this! These deals look amazing and if this is the case, I may just end up buying a new PC. Do you know if there is an equivalent website based in the UK?

dwright

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011

Yep, gaming laptops are quite a bit more expensive than a desktop. It is just a matter of what is more important to you. I like the portibility and was willing to pay for it. There are some really nice laptops out there though that can easily run the programs you are talking about.

I'd grab a Clevo 150 HM or 170 HM or the equivalent Asus model if gaming is the primary goal. If battery life is the prime goal and gaming a secondary consideration, the Optimus based laptops are a good bet such as the 170HR and 150HR. If WoW is the "main game", pick one w/ an nVidia GPU.

Never heard of Clevo ? Well anyone you have ever heard of most likely doesn't make the laptop, someone else did. The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM's). Major relationships include:

Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM
Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
Positivo Informatica sells to Samsung, Sony, Siragon, Toshiba, HP
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
Itautec sells to Siragon, LG, Samsung, Sony
ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and BenQ.
Lanix sells to Sony, Compaq, Toshiba, Siragon, Itautec
Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu & PC World UK own brand Advent.
Clevo sells to Sager, WidowPC, Falcolnnorthwest, and other boutique brands.'

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

The above link provided a history of Clevo, a description of what they make and list of major resllers in each region of the world.