gaming over thunderbolt 3 docking station

weavenation

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015
I have a 17 in alienware laptop with a 1070 and a it has a thunderbolt 3 port. I was curious if i had a thunderbolt 3 docking station could i game with my discrete graphics through thunderbolt 3 to the docking station to the hdmi to my monitor? i think i saw at somepoint that a docking station through thunderbolt 3 would just use my intel graphics not my discrete GPU. any help with resources would be appreciated.

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

What type of video outputs does your laptop have? It wouldn't make any sense to try to go through the TB3 dock to HDMI out. There are lots of adapters that can output from your laptop to a monitor.
Whichever output your system has, it should be able to use your Discreet GPU to display out to the monitor.

weavenation

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015

I use my laptop for schooling as well as gaming and productivity. i want to just plug power and the TB3 cable and be done. not have to to mouse keyboard power hdmi to get it running. its functionally a desktop replacement

Chugalug_

Estimable
Don't bother, they're overpriced as hell and don't even come with the actual GPU.
You're better off building a whole PC for the cost of a GPU dock and a graphics card, and in addition it doesn't even use it to its full potential.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
MERGED QUESTION
Question from weavenation : "gaming over thunderbolt 3 docking station"

weavenation

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015

i expanded on the initial post due to a misconception of what i was attempting to do. As you can see in both replies to this one not being directed properly as i have the proper ports to plug into a display and i am not trying to have an external GPU.