Gaming rig grinding to a halt...

polo3400

Estimable
Apr 13, 2014
Computer grinding to a halt

Now before you put this down to typical consumer negligence, let me get some things out the way.

I constantly clean up my computer; currently I use ccleaner, defraggler and temp file cleaner on a weekly, sometimes daily basis.

My security consists of Avast free, Malwarebytes premium and comodo firewall.

I'm extremely computer literate and have never had an issue like this before. Always safe on the web and know exactly what I'm downloading.

So quite recently for no apparent reason, my custom gaming rig has been literally grinding to a halt about 30(?) mins after startup. Slowly but surely, it becomes unbearable. At first I thought it was AVG, so I swapped it out for Avast, but the problem persisted.

I've snooped around in task manager and can't find anything out of the ordinary. I'm completely stumped.

Any help here is appreciated in advance :) I'm honestly lost at this point.

KNARF XD

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

try to boot in save mode and give us the results

polo3400

Estimable
Apr 13, 2014

In safe mode, as far as I could tell, the problem didn't persist.

polo3400

Estimable
Apr 13, 2014

No disk errors, but I found a couple of things that look strange:

"A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the VideoCnv service to connect." - What is VideoCnv?

"LMS cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver" - No idea what this means

"The maximum file size for session "Circular Kernel Context Logger" has been reached. As a result, events might be lost (not logged) to file "C:\Windows\system32\WDI\LogFiles\ShutdownCKCL.etl". The maximum files size is currently set to 20971520 bytes." - Saw this a couple of times

"Microsoft Security Client OOBE" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D - This was also there a few times

That's about all I could find.

reedo_43

Distinguished
Ii is normal to see a few errors. As to 1 error.

OK we have a fix. After MS worked on my PC for 4 hrs they got it fixed. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Essentials\Support and delete MSSEOOBE.etl and reboot. After reboot this file should be recreated and the error should be gone. I have found that when you delete MSE this folder remains and the files get updated when you run MSE. It looks like the one file was not updating properly and causing the failure.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/lms-service-cannot-connect-to-intelr-mei-driver/90aa3002-5d6b-4587-9dc4-9dabb621deb8

Disable the videocnf service in admin tools services. Highlight, right click, properties.
Has nothing to do with you issue however.

polo3400

Estimable
Apr 13, 2014

Can't see anything to do with Security Essentials on my computer. Didn't Microsoft replace it with defender?

EDIT: Saw on a thread to delete EppOobe.etl instead, managed to do it. Is it worth disabling Windows Defender all together?

KNARF XD

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

since the problem didnt persist in save mode, it is a software problem. stress testing will not be very helpfull. download a trial version of a paid virus scanner and let it run, or reinstall windows.

polo3400

Estimable
Apr 13, 2014

You would think it would be pointless, but it seems to have fixed the issue. Maybe it did occur in safe mode but I just didn't notice. Used Aida64 for anyone interested.