Garmin Recalling 1,250,000 Units Over Fire Hazard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]I think I have one in my car, not sure when It'l go off=Dshould put it in my brother's pocket[/citation]
Do you have insurance? If yes, let it burn baby, let it burn.. :p

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
[citation][nom]bob_white[/nom]I have 255WI'm safe ![/citation]

Umm, that falls in the 250W category. :)

But, just like every electronic in the world, it's all how you use it :)

Just like all the people that still have a "Day 1" 360, that is still running strong, just like most 360 owners, never have had a problem.(not me included, own a day 1 80GB PS3)

This Garmin problem sounds like people are leaving their GPS units in their car, no windows rolled down, in an already hot environment :)

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
These stories do make it sound like Garmin will actually be asking for 1.25m units back but that is not the case - the consumers have to be proactive and ask for their units to be repaired so the actual number of units fixed will be a lot lower than the sales numbers.

G

@rabidface and bob_white, I just ran the serial on my 255w and the recall site stated, "Your device has not been recalled". So I'm assuming that it's not recalling units by 2xx or 25x, but a rather only specific models.

Cheers, we're safe!

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]chindoboi[/nom]I'm glad to see that Garmin has taken safe precautions to recall 1.25m units over 10 incidents...[/citation]
I don't expect that more than a few thousands will bring them in. The company saves face for little money by doing this. Good business practice.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]eyemaster[/nom]I don't expect that more than a few thousands will bring them in. The company saves face for little money by doing this. Good business practice.[/citation]
I seriously doubt 1.25 million unit recall would cost little.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
[citation][nom]nxym[/nom]"You're holding it wrong...."

its not funny anymore[/citation]

...every time someone says "You're holding it wrong...", I hear "But can it play Crysis?"

Time to stop riding that 'joke' now, people...

G

This new white and blue layout is very annoying. It looks as if I have accidentally highlighted something.

G

Good to see Garmin being proactive about this. 10 instances isn't that much to issue a recall.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]chindoboi[/nom]I'm glad to see that Garmin has taken safe precautions to recall 1.25m units over 10 incidents...[/citation]
They don't want the US GOV to scapegoat them like they did Toyota and FireStone

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]I seriously doubt 1.25 million unit recall would cost little.[/citation]
They mean that even though it affects 1.25 million, that only a few thousand will return their units, so Garmin looks good for recalling and save money since nowhere near the 1.25 mil will be returned.

arthur92710

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
[citation][nom]rabidface[/nom]This Garmin problem sounds like people are leaving their GPS units in their car, no windows rolled down, in an already hot environment[/citation]

What about built in GPS?
Its an auto product and should be in automotive spec. If it cant stand the heat is should not give auto directions. Weather you its -140c or +140c. (Actual auto spec is -40c to +125c).
.0008% fail rate? Um, expected losses? It cant be perfect. You have a better chance of someone burning up your car then a GPS over heating.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]I seriously doubt 1.25 million unit recall would cost little.[/citation]
If they are only repairing, not replacing, the 1.25 million unit then many may choose not to send it in because they would be without until the unit comes back repaired and because only 10 or so report haves ever been made on the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.