Gateway FX P-7805u 17 inch vs. Apple MacBook Pro 13.3 inch

lithsord

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
Okay, so I'm thinking about getting a laptop, and these two have become my final options, both of which I can get for around $1100-$1600.

Here are the Specs:

MacBook Pro
-Processor: 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
-Memory: 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
-Hard drive: 250GB SATA, 5400rpm
-Chipset: Nvidia MCP79
-Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9400M (integrated)
-Dimensions (WDH): 14.35.8 x 9.82 x 0.95 inches
-Screen Size: 15.4 inches
-Weight: 5.5 pounds

Gateway FX P-7805u
-Processor: 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400
-Memory: 4GB, 1066MHz DDR3
-Hard drive: 320GB SATA, 7200rpm
-Chipset: Mobile Intel PM45 Express Chipset
-Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS (1GB GDDR3, not sure if that is part of the 4GB)
-Dimensions (WDH): 15.8 x 11.8 x 1.3-1.7 inches
-Screen Size: 17.0 inches
-Weight: 9.1 pounds

Yeah, so just looking at the specs, it looks like the P-7805u wins, but I'm a high school student, so I'm not really buying this for the gaming. Mainly, I will be using this for Java, C++, Python and Ruby programming, mostly creating games, and some light graphics work, usually with GIMP. I do however want to throw in the occasional game of StarCraft or WarCraft, Halo PC, but nothing uber intensive like Crysis or Flight Simulator X. If I get the MacBook Pro, I will be doing most of my gaming on Windows 7 or XP though Boot Camp. Also, looks-wise, I am really leaning toward the MacBook Pro, and also, I get to throw in a free Ipod Touch, and that is a huge plus. Any thoughts would really be helpful, I need to know if there is some major factor I am missing here.

NOTE: I changed it to a 15-inch MacBook Pro.

Thanks to CNET for the specs!

frozenlead

Distinguished
So? 10 pounds really isn't all that much, if you think about it.

It depends on what you want. If you don't feel like carrying around the weight and are willing to spend more time scrolling and less working, then go for the mac. For vise versa, head for the PC. Personally, I'd choose the bigger screen. The weight isn't a big deal to me. I carry my beast notebook everywhere and don't complain.

lithsord

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
Are the factorgaming systems good? They've come up a few times in my searches, but I wasn't sure if they were that great, but it looks like you've got one.

jroussin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I have that same gateway on order. I just ordered them for my entire I.T. department. We are pretty excited about it.

My brother's company just purchased the gateway for his department too. He is a programmer and loves it. He uses it for gaming too. He can play any game out there with high settings.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Are you talking about my notebook? It's not really a factorgaming system - I've never actually heard of them. My notebook is actually made by a company named Clevo, and they're used in hundreds of company's lineups. I bought mine from Sager, and it's steller. This notebook is a rock that flies faster than a speeding bullet.