Gateway FX runs hot in Windows but not Ubuntu?

keeferino

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I have had my gateway FX for almost a year now and for about the last 6 months I have had problems with it overheating, or at least running really hot. Gateway suggested that I reinstall windows and that should fix the problem. No luck though. However, when I heard there was a new release of Ubuntu, I thought I would give it a try and see if that might do the trick. Now, when I boot into Ubuntu, the computer stays much cooler and the fan never hit full speed. Any suggestions as to how to fix it in Windows?

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
I'll bet there is a temperature sensor that windows can't see so it's automatically spinning the fans at full speed. Although one would think that would be in the BIOS I've seen it where the temp sensor needs a Windows driver to work. I'm thinking maybe Ubuntu is sensing the temp and able to see the processor is not running hot thus it's not turning the fans on. Either that or there is a process in windows that is eating up CPU cycles causing 100% usage and thus high temps.

keeferino

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
It isn't just the fans. It actually get super hot and shuts down. I have reinstalled vista and even on first boot up it gets hot. I know it isn't hardware because Ubuntu stays cool. Any one have a suggestion. Gateway customer service is no help. All they tell me is to send in the computer and they will fix it and send it back in 3-4 weeks. I can't afford to send it out right now because of school.

heathkun

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
This is when running idle?

Get coretemp or some program to run and tell you the actual heat in celsius.

Make sure you are up to date in vista and turn off all preformance reduction settings (all of them) such as windows aero and see what happens.

You almost might try to find a benchmarking program of some kind in linux to see how it runs under load. I suspect the reason it runs better in ubuntu is because it is running lighter.

Most laptops rely on 1 fan, thermal paste, and most importantly heat sinks. It's possible that even though your fan is working that your heat sinks are not attached properly any longer.

The best way to find the answer is going to be eliminating every possibility.