Gateway Laptop Shows Duplicate Image! Please Help.

TSauer09

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
I have a Gateway P6860-FX gaming laptop and I'm not exactly sure what is wrong with it. I haven't messed with it in a while because it's been broken (or at least that's what I thought). Whenever I used to turn it on, it did this:

photo3.jpg

But last night, I decided to let it charge overnight since I haven't used it in like FOREVER and when I got up the next morning I unhooked it from the charger and turned it on to see if it held charge and it worked perfectly.

Optimized-photo1jpg.jpg

So I shut it down, went to class this evening then when I got back home I decided to turn it on to see if it was still working and it went back to showing the same screen on the top and bottom halves of the monitor.

What may be wrong with it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Not much you can do here, looks like the video card is failing, maybe overheating, although from the pics, your laptop looks in good shape, no dust clogging stuff. Does moving the lid around fix the dual-screen issue?

You can run an external monitor to see if the issue shows up there as well, if it does, it's in the card, if not, something up with the LCD connectors or the screen.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
I'd place my bet on the connectors.. But like hand-the-9 said, it could be from overheating, which makes sense because GPUs may underclock themselves when low on battery, causing something similar to the first image, or the computer just may freeze with a random color stuck on the screen. Get hwinfo and check the temps, if you don't mind, just paste the info from the sensors results here, or attempt doing a screenshot.