Gateway LX6810-01 uses of S/PDIF Jack

TerrorLee

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
I'm connecting my PC to HDTV (Plasma) in livingroom but I have video ,but no audio. I'm using VGA w/3.5mmaudio plug running to converter box switching to HDMI. Both ends of VGA cable have 3.5mm plugs. The end going into the converter box (audio)plugs into box. Don't seem to have a place to plug audio plug at computer. Could this be plugged into S/PDIF jack. Don't really know the purpose of S/PDIF. Help me out, Please & THANX

Solution
yea, you should be using the s/pdif output from the computer.
i dont think HDMI gives the option to switch back and forth between analog stereo and digitally encoded.

the entire industry is setup to output digital s/pdif over the HDMI cord.
that is a step backwards if the HDMI cord uses two wires for digital output.
as i know there are some other digital audio connections that use more than one cord.
really, using more than one cord allows for cheaper wire to be used.
two cheap wires is probably less expensive than one premium wire.
but this is a manufacturing decision, and the manufacturer might not be able to find cheap wires to use unless they are totally not for audio at all.. and perhaps with a higher price tag.

if you dont have...

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
yea, you should be using the s/pdif output from the computer.
i dont think HDMI gives the option to switch back and forth between analog stereo and digitally encoded.

the entire industry is setup to output digital s/pdif over the HDMI cord.
that is a step backwards if the HDMI cord uses two wires for digital output.
as i know there are some other digital audio connections that use more than one cord.
really, using more than one cord allows for cheaper wire to be used.
two cheap wires is probably less expensive than one premium wire.
but this is a manufacturing decision, and the manufacturer might not be able to find cheap wires to use unless they are totally not for audio at all.. and perhaps with a higher price tag.

if you dont have s/pdif output on the laptop.. see if the television has the old red and white rca inputs for audio.
that doesnt mean you can use the red and white jacks while the hdmi input is being used.. but i dont know the television's options.
one would think you are pretty much locked into using the audio with the HDMI cord if you use HDMI for video.

the only people who would want an alternative audio input are the people who dont have s/pdif output from their soundcards.
the industry has done a good job making sure most of the soundcards have s/pdif output.

otherwise, using the television speakers wont be an option and you would either need headphones or the laptop speakers or connect the 3.5mm output from the laptop to an amplifier or receiver for stereo sound.

Solution

TerrorLee

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Thanks for the reply bi was very helpful. I connected the 3.5 mm plug to the s/pdif in-port and I now have audio. I was very concerned because I've had this computer just long enough that I'm getting use to most of it's abilities. But , I've much to learn. I appreciate the help and replies. I also am finding this link helpful and very interesting. Thanx Again!