Gateway NV53 Does. Not. Do. Anything.

MtheInsomniac

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
Hello, so my friend gave me his virus-ridden computer to fix. Was able to eradicate the virus, allowing me to format the hdd, & install a 32bit version of Windows 7. Judging from Gateway's driver site this model originally came with a 64bit installation, & there is no option for an alternate bit download (Thanks Gateway). I found 32bit drivers, but there was no mention of model specifics, & they resulted in blue screens, the computer "forgetting" drivers upon next boot, etc. So I performed another fresh install of 7. This time, I installed only a video driver as to not have to stare through a magnifying glass. Beyond log on, after what seems to be a time limit, the computer refuses to do anything from updating, accessing more than one program/website, restarting/shutting down, cooperating at all. It's as if any task is asking far too much.

I've wasted enough time & patience just trying to get it to function consistently
at a BASIC level. My 7 year old XP Toshiba has never been so maddening. Is it Windows 7? Post-format residual virus? Or is this simply a hardware issue?

Thank you for any aid.

Model# MS2285
AMD Athlon II X2 M300

MtheInsomniac

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
I'm hoping to confirm whether this is what I suspect to be crap components before advising my friend to purchase the factory specific recovery CD's.

MtheInsomniac

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013

So the computer just simply cannot handle a different operating system? If I tried XP it would implode? Does the OP not imply the 64bit version is not handy???

HELPFUL responses are appreciated.

Hi :)

Its an INCOMPATIBILITY between the OS and drivers, or LACK of drivers....

All the best Brett :)

MtheInsomniac

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
*Detailed* help then, please, maybe answer a question or two. Considering my research shows a 64 bit machine can handle a 32 bit OS your cut & dry response makes little sense to me.

You need to reread your own first post...

This is simple.....

Your machine will work in one of 2 ways...

32 bit OS >> WITH << 32 BIT DRIVERS (ALL of them, CHIPSET, GRAPHICS, SOUND ETC ETC ETC) << 32 BIT VERSIONS

OR

64 bit OS >> WITH << 64 BIT DRIVERS.... (ALL of them, CHIPSET, GRAPHICS, SOUND ETC ETC ETC)<<64 BIT VERSIONS

You CANNOT MIX AND MATCH drivers and OS`S ...

You see now ... ?

The ONLY drivers there are 64 bit..... so you are going to HAVE TO INSTALL 64 BIT Windows....

ABSOLUTELY NO CHOICE....

Izapu

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
I have been working on computers for many, many, many years, and to understand this one you really need to know the manufacturer. Gateway always charged just a little more for their machines, and had something that was better than the standard competitors. Could be a faster harddrive, better video, faster memory, motherboard features, varied on the machine. So working on Gateways, you learn really fast, use the drivers for that model and get the updates from Gateway. Otherwise, it works...kinda. That kinda crap really bites. Dell's and HP's are like that somewhat too, but not to the extent that Gateway is. The Asian clones are built to use pretty much anything in the way of drivers. So while I agree with the solutions being offered, basically get the 64 bit version from Gateway, I also like to know why.

Its a Gateway thing. And there is something they did to tweak the hardware build that you are not aware of, and it won't work correct until you get their drivers. Trying to install the 32 bit version of the OS, may not have the specific hardware driver they got specifically for the 64 bit build on that machine. You could eventually figure it out by getting 32 bit drivers for each and every little piece of the machine, but who wants to spend that much time identifying parts and downloading drivers from the manufacturers.
Back in the early XP days, we ran into this with 64 bit version of the OS. It just plain didn't work because of drivers, or lack of 100% 64 bit drivers. Worked fine if you had a nothing special business PC build, but you get fancy on a gaming system build and good luck.

MtheInsomniac

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013

Haven't checked this in a while but hey, still appreciate the insight man!