Gay Couple Uses Skype to Legally Marry in Texas

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Ah, the old gay marriage online debate.

I will send a cookie to anyone who can think of an argument that doesn't boil down to one of these:

-"I disagree with heterosexual marriage law."
-"My religion/acquaintance says that it's bad."
-"Eww, gross!"

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]They should call it something besides 'marriage' (maybe homosexual union or something of that nature), after all marriage is a religious ceremony and defined as such. Next thing you know, they are going to remove the anti-gay parts from the Bible[/citation]
You do understand that there are no anti-gay statements in the bible. I'm serious. Those passages which are supposedly "anti-gay" in there are actually mis-translations and contextual in nature. I'm just saying, if you want to use the bible to defend your position, then make sure you educate yourself enough so that you don't come off as a mere sheep following the teachings of hateful and ignorant preachers and cultists (i.e. the pope and his fellow pedophiles).

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]I know what you guys think. I don't hate them for marrying, I hate the fact that they live a poor lifestyle.Hate the sin, love the person.[/citation]

Well I hate you for being a pathetic excuse for a human being who relies on literature to rule their thoughts and emotions, go die in a fire.
I hope you're Catholic for ironies sake, priests after all have a GREAT reputation with minors and homosexual conduct.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Ah, a good example to start with:

[citation][nom]sinfulpotato[/nom]Marriage is for procreation, period.[/citation]

If marriage is only for procreation, then should we ban straight couples from getting married if one of the partners isn't capable of producing offspring? Should we jail heterosexual couples who don't have children within a certain number of years?

Basically, you're just disagreeing with current heterosexual marriage law in that it allows couples with no intention to procreate to marry. Also, you're missing the personal benefits of marriage as a commitment, as well as the financial and practical legal advantages.

G

sinfulpotato - Marriage is for procreation, period.

Fine then. Have all of the heterosexual unions give up their tax, legal, and personal benefits. If you remove everything other than the titles of "Husband and Wife" from marriage, then I doubt gay and lesbian couples would care about the whole deal.

It's the fact that married couples get so many more tangible benefits other than just being able to procreate with one another (in a socially/religiously acceptable fashion anyway; it's not like people can't have sex without being married) that makes homosexual couples strive for equality. For example, if someone's SO is hospitalized and in a coma, but they only allow family to make a decision as for what's best for that person, that means the person that loves them the most cannot do anything for them because they were not allowed to marry. Instead their immediate family (which may not care for their lifestyle and be vindictive about it) are asked what to do instead. Can you honestly say that sounds right?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
ok i got half way down, before i had to say something.
first off congrats, no one said "this is kind of gay"

second i believe all marriages shouldn't be a government institution. separation between church and state where.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]You do understand that there are no anti-gay statements in the bible. I'm serious. Those passages which are supposedly "anti-gay" in there are actually mis-translations and contextual in nature. I'm just saying, if you want to use the bible to defend your position, then make sure you educate yourself enough so that you don't come off as a mere sheep following the teachings of hateful and ignorant preachers and cultists (i.e. the pope and his fellow pedophiles).[/citation]

i love this, ,yea alot of the anti gay things are taken out of context, but there is one, dont remember the number, that is anti sodomy, which means any form of sex not to pro create. it basically says better to do a whore than to let the seed hit the ground. thats the only in context anti gay thing i believe is in there, the rest it twisted to be anti gay.

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i love this, ,yea alot of the anti gay things are taken out of context, but there is one, dont remember the number, that is anti sodomy, which means any form of sex not to pro create. it basically says better to do a whore than to let the seed hit the ground. thats the only in context anti gay thing i believe is in there, the rest it twisted to be anti gay.[/citation]

Um...you are referring to masturbation.

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]You do understand that there are no anti-gay statements in the bible. I'm serious. Those passages which are supposedly "anti-gay" in there are actually mis-translations and contextual in nature. I'm just saying, if you want to use the bible to defend your position, then make sure you educate yourself enough so that you don't come off as a mere sheep following the teachings of hateful and ignorant preachers and cultists (i.e. the pope and his fellow pedophiles).[/citation]
I won't get into this debate, primarily because it's stupid. But this statement, debate or not, is just plain wrong. The translations of the bible are using the exact context that they were written in originally, and I can confirm that without a doubt. Source: I'm a semester and a couple weeks away from my masters in theology. (kinda my job to know this stuff)

firebee1991

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Ok, as a Christian, I believe homosexuality is a sin. However, it's no worse than any other sexual sin that pretty much just as prevalent in Christianity as they are out of it, so I don't know why Christians in general get so worked up just over homosexuality. I support gay rights to be married, because from a legal point of view, marriage is little more than a piece of paper and a tax break. What they want to do on their own time is none of my business or anyone else's.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]Ummm.... uh...IDK. If I say anything, I will be marked down. Mark me down just because I'm Christian. This is completely wrong.[/citation]

Take it up with your God then - if He hadn't designed the capacity of Homosexuality into us we'd never be in this "mess".

Don't argue with the Creator's design, for he is much mightier than you could ever comprehend.

dogman_1234

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
^ He didn't crate sin, this is a lack of charity in the human world.

The reason homosexuality exists is there is a lack of love in this world...hence those who are of the same sex will love each other...a plan of the devil to ruin mankind. I don't think one will go to hell for having buttsex will a buddy of his, I think he will have to answer to God about it though!

joz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
First; Christians, you're reading a bad translation; if you want the right translation AND the right explanation of any part of the Torah (the stuff you've pretty much stolen from my people,) go talk to a rabbi.

In Christianity, the priest tells his followers what to believe, in Judaism the rabbi' just guides the people into believing what they [the people] see as right.

Good for these two men, and may many more follow them into happiness.

zinabas

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]A few billion people would disagree with you.[/citation]
Last time I checked Christian only made up at most 30% of the worlds 6 to 8 billion people. That includes fakers who haven't seen the inside of a church in 5 years but for some reason use religion as a basis on electing officials into political office, claim to be Christian, and then glad drink until they can't function which if I remember correctly is also listed on the long long list of things not to do.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I'm all for a same sex union, I'm just against marriage (comes with the whole anti-religious thing).
Regardless, that was a pretty neat idea. There's been a lot of Americans who've come to Canada for their marriage. If I remember correctly, you don't need to be a citizen to marry here, just to divorce.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.