Gay Couple Uses Skype to Legally Marry in Texas

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]ecnovaec[/nom]you're right... this country is heading into the toilet because we aren't enforcing YOUR beliefs on everybody... that makes sense. Who are you to tell others how to live their life? I'm not even gay but I'd gladly marry a man just to piss morons like you off[/citation]
sounds just like the people we declare war on.

solrac3

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Technology is great... It eases the load of every future generation. I look forward to "Beam Me Up..." That is my answer on the TECH part...

On the other part...!

If I open an account on Bank A, I would like to earn interest or to make something of my investment.

Life is designed as a "survival of the fittest" contest. If you are unfit, you die out.

The union of two people has to do, in most cases, with the need and desire for joy. The joy of a couple, been straight or not, is to perpetuate their love towards each other. If I was allowed, I would like to live forever in my marriage. Why...?; because it involves the opportunity to perpetuate my love for my partner. In a heterosexual relationship, children are the outcome of the relation. Children share the genealogy of their parents and past generations and will learn to perpetuate and follow up form their progenitors. I do not mean to distress anybody's agenda or point of view but my personal opinion towards homosexuality is simple...

It is bad business... Nothing comes forward of the time spent but financial gains for the immediate family at the time of death (and I do not mean children).

I have no intention on bashing Gay Rights. After all, it is your behind and you can do whatever you want with it...

What I do not agree with is with the tendency of Gay Rights Activists trying to sell their behavior as something with a future and as something logical.

A tree is designed to give fruit...
A Bank Account, interest...
A car will take you places...
Food will give you energy... everything according to its design and evolution…

What is the fundamental reason for humanity? To endure...!

I am not talking about Torah or Bible here... I am only using logic... Some people feel offended because such books state contrary to their beliefs... and it is only natural to bash against them... These books are only and will always be guides for a better living... Think of them as your grandparents telling you which way is better according to their experience, knowledge and understanding.

There is a historical quote that applies to this “a man who’s ignorant of his history is bound to repeat it”.

Freewill will always be there for those that have a different approach to life...

The interest earned will be according to their investment. I only wish everybody invests in what better suits them and that in the future someone will be there to tell their story.

The beauty of the human spirit is that one can choose to love or hate, exist and cease to exist...

Two thumbs up for the usage of Skype....

storybookhero

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
I don't think that dogman_1234 was wrong in addressing his or her opinion on the matter. Everyone is entitled to believe what they want. This is the united states of America and I realize that not everyone is on the same page and has their own opinions. Instead of bashing someone for their opinions how about asking why they believe in something. I personally could care less what others do with their personal live I.E gettting married to the same gender.But I dont believe that just because someone has Faith in God and thinks the opposite that they should be criticized just because they voiced their opinion. Anywhoo skype rocks

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]exodite[/nom]I have a hard time determining which is worse; your bigotry against gay marriage or your implication that all christians are equally bigoted.Regardless, wish granted.[/citation]

Not surprising from someone who believe in a sky god...

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]reynod[/nom]A good christian wouldn't judge others in such a hateful and shameful way as some of you have posted here.If it takes an existentialist like me to tell you so ... then you need to read your bible a little more carefully ... because i have read it.After deleting all of the nasty comments (which the moderators can still see) it is clear the world won't progress far with some of you in charge of anything beyond a forklift or a steakknife.Remember, regardless of ideology, religion or beliefs we all have to live together, and whether your straight or gay, or into robots, I wish you well.[/citation]

Liviticus 18:22

''Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination''

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Say what now? Anyway, according to the bible (read: BS) homosexuality is an abomination punishable by death, like eating shellfish (Leviticus 11:12)...

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Ok, as a Christian, I believe homosexuality is a sin. However, it's no worse than any other sexual sin that pretty much just as prevalent in Christianity as they are out of it, so I don't know why Christians in general get so worked up just over homosexuality. I support gay rights to be married, because from a legal point of view, marriage is little more than a piece of paper and a tax break. What they want to do on their own time is none of my business or anyone else's.

The reason it is such a hot issue, is that people acknowledge other sexual sins as sins. For the most part, they don't try to convince everyone else that they are morally right. Presently, pedophiles know what they are doing is wrong and acknowledge it as such. Prostitutes, necropheliacs, beastiality, etc are all defined as fetish behavior and regarded by society as such. I am sure after time people will try and turn all of these things into some morally acceptable social right as well.

But for now, the pro-gay movement is forcing the teaching of something most Christians are against in our public schools which we have to pay for. Forcing us to support something that goes against our beliefs. I am sure it wouldn't be such a hot issue if there was just an "agree to disagree" stand, but this is not the case.

King James Bible:

Leviticus 18 and 20
Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is an abomination.
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Romans 1 (26-27)
Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

I still stand behind my original point, that deinfing a homosexual union as such and not marriage is the best logical compromise, but the homosexual community (or is it this liberal "everyone is right" group) will not accept this. They will not stop until they have completely dominated society with their point of view including: teaching it in schools to our children, using our tax dollars to pay for legal issues, trumping freedom of speech of religious authorities by definging it as hate crime to speak against it.

How about people in prison who commit murder? Just because you don't believe in murder, why should they be denied the right to do so?

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Wait... who is the intolerant bigot here? Hypocrisy makes me LOL![/citation]

Solution for religious bigotry: Die Endlösung.

lol cry me a river now!

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Startingline13[/nom]Not really sure what skype has to do with this, other than some people being able to watch them over the internet.[/citation]

The priest that married them was on Skype. He wasn't actually physically present at the ceremony.

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]They should call it something besides 'marriage' (maybe homosexual union or something of that nature), after all marriage is a religious ceremony and defined as such.[/citation]

For most of history, marriage was actually a political ceremony that used religious trappings. It's only been in the recent past that it actually became about love and faith and all that jazz. Keep up with your history.

Sorry for the double-post.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
I really don't understand the hype over this marriage - they may have technically been "in" Texas when the marriage took place, but their marriage was conducted in accordance with the laws of D.C., not Texas. Texas law expressly provides that the state does not recognize same-sex marriages, even if they are valid in another jurisdiction.

The sad reality is that this is no different than if they had physically gotten married in D.C. and then flown back to TX. Kudos to the happy couple for doing things the way they wanted to, but at the end of the day, it's inaccurate to say that they somehow got around Texas's laws, because they haven't. As far as the state of Texas is concerned, their marriage is void.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]1pp1k10k4m1[/nom]Exclusive girl/girl or guy/guy relationships means we can't reproduce and the human race goes extinct...therefore it is unnatural. Plus, homosexuals have much higher insurance and STD rates than heterosexuals. I'd like oatmeal chocolate chip please. Two in fact.[/citation]

Actually if you knew any gay people at all, Some who do want children, use surrogate mother/artificial insemination. Another section of them adopt.

Quite a few people get that feeling to have a little one running around, gay, straight or trans. Restricting people's rights due to some uninformed imaginary idea that gays are an evolutionary dead end is just monstrous.

Maybe that kind of thing back in biblical times was needed to assure a massive growing population to squeeze out the other religions by birthing more believers... but not now.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]TheCapulet[/nom]I won't get into this debate, primarily because it's stupid. But this statement, debate or not, is just plain wrong. The translations of the bible are using the exact context that they were written in originally, and I can confirm that without a doubt. Source: I'm a semester and a couple weeks away from my masters in theology. (kinda my job to know this stuff)[/citation]
Well, a "theologist" who starts off a debate with "I won't get into this debate, primarily because it's stupid" - how fitting! I sincerely hope you won't ever be in a position to teach others, because while you may think you understand the bible, you're clearly a very basic individual who, alas, has learned nothing of value! Also, you are mistaken, a great deal, if you think that the bible you read today, in English, or Latin, has not been "modified" for contextual alignment. Interpretations are littered all over the bible, for example, how does Isaiah refer to the shape of Earth "circle of the earth" - what does that mean? That Earth is round? If so, then why were the Catholics burning and hanging people who wanted to prove that the Earth was round - oh uh.... yup, back then, the Bible was used to prove that the earth was flat!!! This is just one example, one of many!

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]1pp1k10k4m1[/nom]Exclusive girl/girl or guy/guy relationships means we can't reproduce and the human race goes extinct...therefore it is unnatural. Plus, homosexuals have much higher insurance and STD rates than heterosexuals. I'd like oatmeal chocolate chip please. Two in fact.[/citation]
Sorry, I felt that it was implied that these had to be factual arguments, as well as arguments against homosexual MARRIAGE.

Homosexuality is not unnatural, given that it is observed in nature all the time.

You seem to be implying that if we legalize homosexual marriage, then everyone will turn gay and the human race will die off. I hope I don't have to explain how this is false.

Lastly, I don't see why insurance rate and STD rate are arguments against gay marriage. They appear more arguments against someone choosing to become homosexual (let's ignore the debate of whether one's sexuality is a choice).

No cookie this time.

scott_madison1

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
[citation][nom]exodite[/nom]I have a hard time determining which is worse; your bigotry against gay marriage or your implication that all christians are equally bigoted.Regardless, wish granted.[/citation]

so we're bigoted because of our religious values that were taught to us from the bible? Interesting...

Manicslayer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
[citation][nom]scott_madison1[/nom]so we're bigoted because of our religious values that were taught to us from the bible? Interesting...[/citation]
No, you're bigoted because instead of allowing them to get married you use your religion to restrict their rights. Well, I don't know about you personally, but many "Christians" do. I don't care if you don't like it, you can't deny people their rights. I don't like smoking or being around it, but I respect others rights to do so. I think if everyone was forced to take a CJ class in high school, they'd be able to understand how much of an injustice denying gay couples the right to marry is. Instead, they simply point at a book and rabble," But this says it's bad!"

solrac3

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I disagree with you scott_madison1:

The idea of having to agree with someone just because he or she has freedom of choice is not sane... It is actually insane.

By nature, we have the will and right to agree and disagree...

Does it matter if the basis is Torah, Bible or Point of View...? NO..!

What would have happened with the woman's right to vote if someone had not disagreed...?
What would have happened with slavery if someone had not disagreed...?
What would have happened with your parents had not agreed to have you...?

It is natural that some will criticize and others won't and as much as that couple had the right to select SKYPE as their means to perform their act some others have the right to disagree with their selection of SKYPE or their right to marry.

A society that does not react to events is a dead society and this arguing back and force only shows how healthy is the freedom of speech. The beauty of it all stands in the fact that we have to agree to disagree... In the end..., we will all know who was right and who was wrong...

Though nature speaks and lets you know what is right and what is not..., some will see it and some won't.

GO Skype... it is and awesome tool...

colbey

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
[citation][nom]hoof_hearted[/nom]Ok, as a Christian, I believe homosexuality is a sin. However, it's no worse than any other sexual sin that pretty much just as prevalent in Christianity as they are out of it, so I don't know why Christians in general get so worked up just over homosexuality. [edit]

The reason it is such a hot issue, is that people acknowledge other sexual sins as sins. For the most part, they don't try to convince everyone else that they are morally right. Presently, pedophiles know what they are doing is wrong and acknowledge it as such. Prostitutes, necropheliacs, beastiality, etc are all defined as fetish behavior and regarded by society as such. I am sure after time people will try and turn all of these things into some morally acceptable social right as well.

But for now, the pro-gay movement is forcing the teaching of something most Christians are against in our public schools which we have to pay for. Forcing us to support something that goes against our beliefs. I am sure it wouldn't be such a hot issue if there was just an "agree to disagree" stand, but this is not the case. [edit]

They will not stop until they have completely dominated society with their point of view including: teaching it in schools to our children, using our tax dollars to pay for legal issues, trumping freedom of speech of religious authorities by definging it as hate crime to speak against it.How about people in prison who commit murder? Just because you don't believe in murder, why should they be denied the right to do so?[/citation]

sigh...this is such a lame (and OLD) argument. pedophilia, bestiality, and necrophilia all violate basic societal understandings of CONSENT. a homosexual relationship and/or marriage is one that occurs between two CONSENTING ADULTS. therefore, any attempt to push these "options" as morally acceptable options is (hopefully) doomed to failure.

your one possibility there is prostitution. and as another poster noted, there already IS a push in some places to legalize prostitution as being something that occurs between consenting adults. obviously, child prositution/sex trafficking is NOT being pushed for legal or moral acceptance, because they do NOT occur between consenting adults. but you missed one--polygamy.

personally, i mostly feel prostitution should be legalized. however, society also has a right to limit destructive behavior and in the fact that prostitution can result in increased STDs in the population as a whole, it should be legalized AND regulated. somehow. same thing with polygamy. well, not the STD part, lol. but it needs to be regulated or the law written so that what the "unofficial" mormons do isn't possible--namely, one guy having multiple wives, only one of which is "legal," and so the others all file for welfare as unwed mothers.

as to your bible quotes, the leviticus one is silly because it's part of a whole book of rules/laws that are absolutely ridiculous today, and it's disingenuous to pick ONE rule and cry that it should be enforced and ignore all the other "commands of god." and the romans one was by a power-hungry narcissist (who had some sexual issues of his own), and directed at a group of people doing far more than one sexual behavior that would horrify some christians today.

as for forcing others to accept or believe differently--that can't be done and no one is trying to do that. others can believe what they want; but not all beliefs can be codified into law in a free, just, and democratic society. school teachings? some would have our public schools teach that black people are inferior, as that is their belief. i would suppose they are quite angry that equality among races is taught now by taxpayer-funded schools. how is your complaint any different? and homosexuals AREN'T asking or demanding that children be taught to BE homosexual, for god's sake.

and, no, speaking your personal opinion(s) is NOT defined as hate speech, nor are homosexuals requesting that it be.

aford10

Distinguished

Actually, I have a BA in Criminal Justice. I can tell you that in no way does that address the so called 'right to marry'. It's not a right to have a religious leader perform a ceremony. That has nothing to do with the law, and homosexuals don't have that 'right'.

Anaxamenes

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Actually, I have a BA in Criminal Justice. I can tell you that in no way does that address the so called 'right to marry'. It's not a right to have a religious leader perform a ceremony. That has nothing to do with the law, and homosexuals don't have that 'right'.

Some Christians use their religion as a basis for denying homosexuals the same rights that they themselves enjoy. You do not have to have a religious ceremony to be married, and marriage imparts benefits from the government that are not available to people who are not married. As citizens of the Unites States, Homosexuals deserve equal protection under the law which would include the ability to marry another consenting adult and obtain the benefits of said marriage from their government. It's pretty simple.

Since there is nothing criminal about marriage (ie no crime is being committed) I don't see how your BA in Criminal Justice applies here.

Status
Not open for further replies.