[General Discussion] Gaming laptop on budget

thdanh90

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Hi everyone. I need help in choosing a laptop which can do some graphics and RTS gaming

1_What is your budget?
$800-$1000 including tax and shipping
2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15"-17"
3_What screen resolution do you want?
720p or above
4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
desktop replacement, but it would be best if it's light
5_How much battery life do you need?
Don't care
6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Starcraft 2, Supreme Commander, BC2, NFS on med 40+fps or high 28+fps
7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Watching movies
Photo editing (Adobe Photoshop)

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Don't care
9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
tigerdirect, circuitcity, newegg, xoticpc, amazon, bestbuy,... - those certified sites
10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-3 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I can buy customized laptop if that's what it takes. Other than that, none from Dell and HP.
13_What country do you live in?
CA USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'm okay with refurbs, as long as the warranty and its company is reliable.

I appreciate all your input and will take all of them into consideration.

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

I would have to agree pretty deal for its price. I personally have mixed feelings on Acer, but i see them recommended often enough so I think that will do you well.

thdanh90

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

Thanks for your input, Maziar. Personally I don't want to get into the i7 hype and pay a hefty price for it. Especially when the G51JX-X3 is around with the same price and a much better GPU http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Gamers-G51JX-X3-15-6-Inch-Gaming/dp/B00361G0ZO.

hardy12

Commendable
Feb 10, 2016
hi. I suggest that Envy and found it very nice.I already use this model for this laptop. It has a 6 cell battery, but lasts 5 hours with wifi on while doing regular web viewing, including an hour of constant 30% cpu stressing.I will be running programs like quickbooks, photoshop, word, webpages at the same time.so I hope you like it.