General Motors Announces Electric Motor Plans

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

axekick

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]MeriaX[/nom]"...in electric motors, with the first GM-designed and built electric motors hitting the market in 2013..."2013 huh? Here's what wiki says "The General Motors EV1 was an electric car produced and leased by the General Motors Corporation from 1996 to 1999."Here we go again~[/citation]

Yeah.. it would appear that Big Oil paid GM to discontinue and recall the EV1 back in the day. Wonder how much it will cost them to do the same this time?

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]@ Zip, and the other guy. To hate on any specific manufacter is naive and stupid. Most cars are built on a line aka mass produced. Thus you will always have some inferior parts that get mixed in, and simple end up with shit results. It happens. Anybody that has ever worked on a line can tell you this. Which is why it's best to look at all reviews of certain model, so you at least know what you are possible getting into from the start. And then just hope the line didn't get fucked up.[/citation]

I'll take my chances with Toyota vs. Chevy any day of the week. You are right, no manufacturer is perfect but overall, some manufacturers just have better quality. Check out Consumer Reports. Why black dots vs red dots? The owners. Not some biased group of reviewers. I took my chances and purchased a brand new 2000 Ford Ranger. 24K miles later, the paint was starting to sunburst and the fabric in the interior was already fading. When I tried to sell it, I lost about 40% of the value. Never again.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]zipzoomflyhigh[/nom]We now have a 2006 Honda Civic and every week it's something else. Bumper falling off, a/c vents falling out, visor broke[...] [/citation]

LOL, you're doing it wrong! There's a reason Honda cars receive consumer awards on a constant basis for high quality and high reliability. Maybe you shouldn't run it into things? The plural of anecdote is not data; your experience with domestics and imports runs completely counter to statistical reality.

G

Yes! The EV1, which General Motors intentionally destroyed. We could have had the electric car 10 years ago. Watch the documentary film "Who killed the electric car?", it will make you sick to your stomach.

amarok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I'm so sick of this political correctness which inundate everyday life. organic food, don't smoke, save the whales, keep the electricity used to a bare minimum, don't eat tuna, don't correct your children....
BAAHHH...
I WANT a huge car with crappy fuel consumption and I want to drive it alone and not carpooling.
I WANT to smoke a stokey when I fell like.
I WANT to eat red meat and preferably large steaks.

STFU with this sickening correctness everywhere!

pakardbell486dx2

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
"If no one else beats them to the punch, the move will see GM become the first major U.S. car manufacturer to design and manufacture electric motors."

yeah in china that is....

amarok

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
ohh I forgot...
MY pc is a monster computer with hefty hardware and a 26" screen. It uses a lot - A LOT - of power and I enjoy every minute of it.
I don't turn it off and I just don't care about this political correctness...

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Get rid of these auto news articles. If I want auto news I'll go to Motortrend and such. This is a computer/software/hardware site...

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]zipzoomflyhigh[/nom]Oh and to the last poster, I've owned 2 oldsmobiles and 3 chevy's and they were all EXCELLENT vehicles. We now have a 2006 Honda Civic and every week it's something else. Bumper falling off, a/c vents falling out, visor broke, check fuel cap warning every day even though it's fine, rattles, extremely loud road noise. Personally I'll never buy a Honda again unless it's a lawn mower or 4 wheeler.[/citation]
You sound like the idiot that's in the GM commercials. He always failed to mention that Honda also made, ATVs, motorcycles and ASIMO that GM can't competes against.

To solve your vehicular problem, my I suggest that you stop driving into the curb. Last century’s Oldsmobiles and Chevy have high clearance and loose drivetrain so you might not even realized you drive into the curb but new car expect the driver to know how to drive. (It is also possible that you are getting older and can’t control the quicker acceleration and tauter control of a new Honda)

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
What they really need to invest in is battery technology. While most other aspects of our technology have improved at or near a Moore's Law rate, battery technology has only improved by small increments (i.e. NiCad -> NiMH -> Li-Ion). A significant improvement in battery technology (inexpensive, vastly increased charge density/mass ratio at 90+% efficiency) would, over-night, make things like electric cars a reality. We need to get the 40 mile per charge range up to something like 400 mile per charge, and then the electric car will be completely practical.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Cheap fuel is what killed the electric car, same thing why we have coal plants and not nuclear. Coal and gasoline are incredibly cheap ways to provide energy. I'd really like to believe all these things are killed by dark, evil overlords in a tower somewhere but, in reality, it's the consumers that make the decision. If the dark overlords really existed we'd have someone tangible to blame rather than all of us. Until gasoline hits $8-10 and more a gallon I don't see any changes coming.

You can talk about environmental this and that and it's all fine and dandy but at the end of the day it's about what it costs the average citizen; until the cost of gas seriously begins to hurt them, you won't see any change. Even if America stops using every drop of oil today, it won't change how much CO2 is put into the air because it'll just make oil that much cheaper for the rest of the world and they'll use more. The end of cheap oil will bring change, and until that happens I honestly don't expect any progress on the pollution front. Humans, just don't really plan ahead all that well, they're much more about responding to a crisis.

Villers

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
I took my chances and purchased a brand new 2000 Ford Ranger. 24K miles later, the paint was starting to sunburst and the fabric in the interior was already fading. When I tried to sell it, I lost about 40% of the value. Never again.

its called a warranty. that's your own fault. (now you buy chevys and toyotas because they have good paint and fabric.)LOL way to pick 'em.

and really.. 3 years to develop this motor? isn't this like reinventing the wheel? grab some magnets and copper wire and get to work damnit.
I already get my power from a nuclear plant so no need to wait.

Personally I will never buy a GM car because their quality stinks.
I guess that's why they make Cadillacs (we all know how crappy those are {sarcasm})

All vehicles have their own quarks. Its just a matter of how you maintain them, drive them, and repair them.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I like the Volt as it is, 40 miles on a charge is good. It doesn't go as far as I need it to (although GM seems to be right about most people's round trip commutes being less than 40 miles), but given how well that generator works, I think I can same some gas with it.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
As long as it creates jobs in North America then it's fantastic! I'd hate to learn that this will be giving Chinese citizens jobs, effectively giving the Chinese Government more revenue. Green energy is a North American & European thing and I hope it stays that way. The Middle East can drown in their filthy oil...

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]zipzoomflyhigh[/nom]But where does the electricity come from? You guessed it, fossil fuels. So how does this help us unless the electricity is produced by nuclear power plants?[/citation]
Sorry for the double post, but dude, have you ever heard of hydro power, wind power, solar power - the technology is there, the infrastructure is there and obviously the demand is there too. Alternative energy is a comprehensive approach, and as time goes by, it's clear that we will have less and less choice in the matter. Did you know that by the end of this century, we will have exhausted most of the natural resources we can mine? That may be one extreme prediction, but guess what the World's population will be by 2100...just guess! So yeah, we can start rolling out hydro power, and harvesting the limitless power of the sun, wind and water then that's the way we will go.

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
Sound's like Chevrolet's Volt is making the splash I was hoping It would. Funny how it's going to take GM 3 year's to catch up with one of its divisions. Electric car's are the future it's about time the issue is being pushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.