General Motors Now Selling Cars on Ebay

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Car salesmen don't make much on the sale of a new car. It can go from as little as $200 to $600-700 depending on the options he manages to sell. However, when he sells a used car, the commission can easily rise around $3000.I don't know this trial will turns out for GM but I hope they get back on track. It's good to see they're finally catching up with the rest of the world and trying out new alternatives. If it works, it will take some time to balance and distribute the sales and profits between the virtual and physical sales, but it could work. I don't like their cars much, but it's always good to have competition and to keep our money here.[/citation]

Sorry ZaK i wasn't talking about the car salesman, I was talking the dealer itself. & yes you are 100% correct on used cars = higher commissions for the Salesmen.

G

I bought my current car off of eBay sight unseen, and it all turned out well. Too bad I would never buy a GM vehicle. It's a good idea, though.

G

How much is Ebay charging for the transaction? Unless GM is getting one helluva deal, it doesn't seem cost effective.

mp562

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
What ever happened to quality? I've had two GM trucks and they both fell apart. I had a '97 S-10 and a '03 S-10. Never again. I used to only be a Chevy guy, but after seeing my friend's with Ford's reaching the 200k mileage mark I think I'm switching sides. On my first one, the Dexcool literally ate up everything that the coolant was running through. On the second one, the whole front suspension needed to be replaced. I got rid of that one and bought a Lexus. I never had a problem with the engine or transmission, they both were still running strong. GM needs to stop putting sub-par quality parts in their trucks. Maybe they have now, but to me it's a little too late.

G

GM probably will be charged for all cars to get listed (Listing Fees), no matter if it sells or not. Once sold, GM has to pay heavy Final Value Fee plus paypal fee. This is on top of the dealer commission….”

Actually these over-heads will be passed on to the buyers. buyers will end-up paying unnecessary price hike of minimum $2000 or more.

so final results will be:

1) Buyers has to pay minimum $2000 or more while purchasing from eBay GM instead of getting walk-in cash discount of minimum $1200~$1800.

2) GM is cutting down dealership by 40% who is going to provide services after sales? As of now, 225 of 250 dealers in the state of California participated, and later on it result in vanishing physical identities of Authorized GM Dealers. The whole picture is very gloomy.

3) In critical time for the company like GM, and hit by the recession, GM has tied with company eBay whose market reputation is not really as good as Amazon. eBay and PayPal to gather are involved in tons of insider trading, insider auto bot bidding to get higher final value fees and higher percentage of comission. eBay and PayPal are involved in tons of scams, that reader of this post would like to look at the web-site called paypalsucks (dot) com. You will probably never find a site like this for any other good reputed online marketing or auction companies. Any financial scam by eBay or PayPal definitely damage GM Market Reputation too. I am worried coz I have GM, and I LUV GM.

There were plenty of better choices like Autotrader or Cars available for GM other than eBay where most of the visitors concern is to look for something cheap.

In name of GM, eBay and PayPal will definitely going to prosper themselves by milking the cow and their customers with other products.

Gm has to very sure that GM customer information is not leaked to any other competitive automobile companies for just greed of money.

4) eBay revenue went up during last year due to hike in their fees, plus insider mafia activities of capturing someone’s well-reputed business items by kicking out, or blocking original player, or buying his well developed eBay account. eBay is highly influenced for selling out their members information and data statistics for few hundred of bucks.

5) According to Don Folk, a Chevrolet dealer. “What it always boils down to, is that before making a major purchase like an automobile … a person would want to get in the vehicle [and] drive the vehicle,” he said. “You’re still going to have to touch the metal.”

Adobe and probably Microsoft may have some success with eBay for software. You simply can not compare Automobiles with software. Automobile you always wanna have a ride, touch, see and feel.

6) Getting the parts will be the pain for buyers. Most of the parts available on eBay are not authentic, but fake, imitated like original made in Taiwan, not really made in US. Normally Taiwan parts runs when you replace it, but no one can say when it gonna break.

Most of the parts makers, parts suppliers, dealers and virtually every company in the automotive sector are out of business now in US.

7) Buyer have to be extra cautious coz all information about the car he or she is planning to buy from GM eBay is already available to many people before he or she actually purchase it.

8) eBay and PayPal policy about money refund is also not very clear.

9) In case of refund. Who PayPal is going to support GM (with a greed of commission) or a buyer?

10) Buyer has to work out for competitive insurance quote too!

So, SMART BUYER HAS TO THINK MORE THAN TWICE, OR
JUST STAY AWAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.