General questions for low-usage Laptops

Xavito

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Hey guys,
I currently have an HP dv4. It is incredibly slow on start up, but I only use it for study sessions at the library and falling asleep to it while listening to podcasts. My one requirement is that it have an SSD. I really don't want to spend more than 300-350. Browsing the internet for factual information and maybe a word or google doc is all I will use it for (I have a descent gaming rig where I can get real work done).

I do tend to have a lot of tabs open so maybe some descent RAM may be useful. I have decided to wait for Windows 9 or 10 (I've forgotten which it is). I wont be gaming on it or anything else intensive.

Keeping the above in mind, what is the ideal amount of RAM and CPU speed?
Since I will be waiting for the upcoming Windows OS, I will not be asking for any recommendations. All I need is an idea of the the kind of CPU and RAM that will be enough for what I need. I just need to know what to look for when I actually start browsing the market.

Thanks.

Solution
Chromebooks are good if you have a constant internet connection but you are at a disadvantage when you want to install windows programs. You will need an i5 ulv if batter life is important or an i5 m cpu if you have a lot of intense programs. As for the ram, get 4 gigs as a minimum. 8 gigs is needed if you are doing anything intensive.
Chromebooks are good if you have a constant internet connection but you are at a disadvantage when you want to install windows programs. You will need an i5 ulv if batter life is important or an i5 m cpu if you have a lot of intense programs. As for the ram, get 4 gigs as a minimum. 8 gigs is needed if you are doing anything intensive.

Solution

Xavito

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

Thank you!