George Hotz: I Didn't Flee, I'm on Spring Break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
I can't believe he'd want to buy any Sony products with what they're doing to him. I mean, good on him for not being petty, but I won't even buy Sony products over this and I'm not even being sued. :) I really wanted to play ICO and SotC in high-def, too. :-/

G

seriously this is plain stupid, are we saying his hard drive is some exotic device that they cant cannibalize the component from an off shelf device, seriously i seen them resurrect the data of a burned down hard drive from the platter alone

now if his hard drive was encrypted and the 'missing component' was the encryption key, then i believe he is protected by the 5th, now it be even funnier if this thing was sporting a vPro chip and a wipe code was sent from some internet cafe in the south americas

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]old_fogie_late_bloomer[/nom]I can't believe he'd want to buy any Sony products with what they're doing to him. I mean, good on him for not being petty, but I won't even buy Sony products over this and I'm not even being sued. I really wanted to play ICO and SotC in high-def, too. :-/[/citation]

I just assumed a hint of sarcasm and buying it used. =/

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]old_fogie_late_bloomer[/nom]I can't believe he'd want to buy any Sony products with what they're doing to him. I mean, good on him for not being petty, but I won't even buy Sony products over this and I'm not even being sued. I really wanted to play ICO and SotC in high-def, too. :-/[/citation]
Why cant you believe he would buy the phone? I took it as he's plannning on hacking the phone like he did the ps3 :p

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
He knew what he did was breaking the law, so I don't feel too much pity for him.

On the other hand, I find Sony's tactics a bit heavy handed. But the only ones that can punish companies are the law (and thus indirectly the voters) and the consumers (and thus indirectly the voters or soon to be voters).

Conclusion: all those who feel Sony is wrong, should put pressure on the company rather than moan about it on forums.

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
[citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]Why cant you believe he would buy the phone? I took it as he's plannning on hacking the phone like he did the ps3 :p[/citation]

Exactly. I thought it was pretty obvious too.

Takuhi

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
@ Pesh. Contract is law....

Once conditions are agreed upon by two parties, they are legally required to follow those conditions. In all cases, breaking any form of contract can be seen as a criminal offence unless the defending party can successfully annul the contract or argue that the breaking of the contract was lawful. Most contract breaches don't make it to civil courts, though.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
@Takuhi

Oh really? So if you sign a contract saying I can kill you with no legal repercussions, then it's legal for me to do that?

Sorry, but contracts really hold very little legal weight and in the world of law come in last, being superseded by every other legal institution. Hell, when I had a house built, the builder filed for bankruptcy and made the claim since I signed a contract, I couldn't back out without punishment. I threatened to take it to court and I instantly had my money back because they knew the contract wouldn't hold up.

Remember the show fear factor? They were successfully sued on multiple occasions despite contestants signing away such rights. Contract is law, as long as it doesn't go against any other law and as long as no judge would find it unreasonable.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Takuhi[/nom]@ Pesh. Contract is law....Once conditions are agreed upon by two parties, they are legally required to follow those conditions. In all cases, breaking any form of contract can be seen as a criminal offence unless the defending party can successfully annul the contract or argue that the breaking of the contract was lawful. Most contract breaches don't make it to civil courts, though.[/citation]

BS. Contract violations are never "seen as" a criminal offense. Civil law != Criminal law

One side calls BS on the other, they go to CIVIL court and a judge decides who the real tard is. No one goes to jail from CIVIL charges. OJ? And violating an EULA isn't a criminal offense, although I'm sure some major corporations would love to make it so. Only legislative bodies and the electorate can make laws which can be broken. Courts only rule on situations governed by laws, they don't make them. Corporations can't make laws, let alone ones that result in criminal charges, especially ones that only require a person to "open a box" or "click a button" to make it legally binding. It would be like Chevy telling me by putting the key into the ignition of my Corvette, I am legally liable TO THEM if I painted it a non-Chevy color, exceeded the speed limit or pulled into a Ford dealership. BS.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
@cyprod and XZaapryca

That may be so, but people should honor agreements, right? Would you like it if a person made an agreement with you but didn't hold up his/her side of the deal? About a contract saying that a person can kill you just like that, who's fault is it that a peron agreed with it? In the sport Boxing, I think that's one of the terms of your contract (or is it a waiver). If you die (accidentally of course), you can't sue the other boxer. :)

G

There are some crap law arguments going on here.

Contract law is subject to civil remedies

Contracts may be overturned by a court of equity if it is: Unconscionable, Illegal or entered into with a minor.

Unconscionable - Contract is oppressive or unduly takes advantage of a party in a lesser bargaining position

Illegal - contract for one party to commit a crime

Minor - sort of obvious

I am not arguing either party's position, merely stating what I believe is relevant law.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Sony is dumb, they should take a lesson from Nintendo.

That's why Nintendo is winning: They aren't so buttight with their code, and make it easier to make games on the Wii.

Status
Not open for further replies.