George Lucas Shows Return of the Jedi Lost Scene

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I wonder if anyone here has the original theatrical release of the the original Star Wars movie in any format. Nowadays, they all have the title "Star Wars: A New Hope". The original movie was simply called "Star Wars" and the movie opening credits showed it as such. The "A New Hope" stuff was added to bring the original into line with all the other sequels which had there own sub-title such as "The Empire Strikes Back", etc.

Diabolical User

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Correction - "the same ones that are on DVD, but with six times the resolution."; no actually it is only 6 times the disc capacity of 1 Single Sided Dual Layer Disc (8.5 GB approximately). The increased disc capacity will however allow for a higher bit rate. Thus the difference between HD-DVD (maximum data transfer rate of 36 Mbit/s) and Blu-Ray (maximum data transfer rate of 54 Mbit/s) when compared.

haftarun8

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
720x480 = 345600 pixels in the DVD version
1920x1080 = 2073600 pixels in the blu-ray version.

Divide and it comes out to exactly 6x the resolution. True 24hz helps a ton in the motion department also. That and the fact it'll be in ITU-R BT.709 color space as opposed to DVD's ITU-R BT.601, those extra pixels will enjoy a more vibrant color range.

The bitrate is higher as Diabolical pointed out (~8mbps on DVD's to ~28-40mbps on blu-ray). Hence why I think all internet and netflix streaming formats blow, as they don't even get close to that amount of bandwidth, let alone 5.1ch uncompressed audio. Who cares if Youtube has 4k res if it suffers from compression artifacts to the point where a regular DVD looks sharper and sounds better?

Did that clear things up and make me sound hopelessly nerdy at the same time?

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
Lost scene, my *ss. It's just a scene that landed on the cutting room floor instead of in the movie, the VHS, release, the DVD release, or the remastered DVD release.

And it doesn't really add anything to the movie.

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Give me the non-CGI-enchanced, original theatrical cleaned up versions on Blu-ray.
Guess I'll have to wait until I can get them over George's dead body.

santeana

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2003
Wonder if these lost scenes will be added into the movie, or if it will be on some stand-alone special feature in some sub menu.... hmmm

redraider89

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I'm not going to buy anything but the ORIGINAL, UNMOLESTED Theatrical version. I don't know why George decided to screw with it. No one screwed around with any other movie of note. But stupid George decided to mess an original classic up.

I just got through watching the DVD trilogy and realized they cut out one of the best parts of A New Hope. They cut out the part where the hyperdrive kept failing. It worked perfectly now. Maybe they will learn after screwing with Star Wars Galaxies with the stupid NGE version and sending it down the tubes, screwing with original fans. I hope the same happens to this release. No one buy it, please.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]wayneepalmer[/nom]Actually mikem_90, the Lightsaber scene DOES go with something that was in the original Jedi movie - where Vader talks with Luke about his building a new light saber after Vader cut his hand off in Empire.[/citation]

I wasn't saying it was unrelated. I was talking about how the original theatrical release provides a sense of tension, What happened? Is he really walking into a intergalactic crime lord's sanctum unarmed? A sense of vulnerability to our protagonist builds up this tension once we notice its Luke. We wonder what has happened in the meantime? If we're just handed "Oh he was building a lightsaber earlier, and then is poking at R2D2" the whole sending the droids in ahead of time becomes less of a mystery and "Oh we see where THIS is going."

With the scene in, you know the outcome before he even gets into the throne room, you know there is going to be lightsaber stabby stabby death, maybe not the exact sequence. If the protagonist doesn't face any significant perceivable danger, there is no tension, it becomes just shallow eye candy. Chewie and Leia being captured, Lando working as a guard, all become big giant billboards saying "ASS KICKING 2.5 MILES, LAST CHANCE FOR SOOTHING CREAM" instead of hints as to "What have they got planned?"

Might as well make a movie that is nothing but lightsaber duels. Oh wait...

[citation]Some of the add-ins to the original movie were kind of hokey, but, I did like the Jabba the Hut part (this one WAS a CGI remake of an original section of the movie - that Lucas couldn't make work due to technology issues - that he kept after cutting it).[/citation]

I've heard a few stories over the years. George Lucas is a master revisionist. First it was supposed to be one way, then another, depends on what he intends to release later. The fact that Solo walks around Jabba in the original take tends to hint how Jabba was not supposed to be a big walking slug, and at worst nearly humanoid. After going back to what he WANTED to have happened, and what really did, I tend to favor the way it was originally. In Jaws, he wanted to see shark more. Part of how scary it is was because you didn't see it hardly much. You caught glimpses of it for most of the movie. The fear centers of your brain fill in the gaps.

For some movies, Lucas seems to have wanted to have a balls out, brainless testosterone fest, but had to make do with a well crafted artsy enthralling set of movies that made him what he is today instead. Them's the breaks.

[citation] Too bad Lucas never could find the original Biggs Darklighter and Luke scenes from the start of the movie (these were cut from right after the Droids ejected from Princess Leia's cruiser - Luke actually watched the battle with his binoculars as a part of the segway from the space scenes).[/citation]

That might be nice as deleted scenes, but constantly releasing new versions with scenes that were cut for pacing and flow is just kind of silly. Yeah its cool to see stuff they had filmed before, but when you add it all together it no longer has the same feel or emotional tone. There are reasons those scenes were cut. How many different versions should we subject new audiences to if the new ones break pacing, flow, and expect us to go through several emotions in the span of a few minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.