Germany Opposes Google Book Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
This could be major PITA. A lot of European authors of science and engineering publish through Springer-Verlag. I hope that they eventually can strike a good deal beneficiary to all sides.

G

Why would you keep a book forever? There are so many other good ones.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]lol hasn't anyone ever heard of a public library? Isn't that all this is, a digital public library?[/citation]Except someone paid for the book you are borrowing.

I feel publishers view public library's as a free advertisement. Get kids hooked on reading, and when they're older they'll buy more books. Sure you'll have the people who save a few bucks by getting all there reading material from the library but its probably 1/100. If books are suddenly released online, publishers think people will stop paying for books. I think this is a safe assessment. I would gladly buy an eBook reader if I could get a library's worth of books for free or pay around $12/mo for access to the "library". The problem with both solutions is how do the publishers and writers get paid.

caskachan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
well why dont they just simply sell the rights for digital media of the books created there, im sure it would be at much , aspricey as if they where gna print and trasnlate the book in paper

G

If the publishers would have created this digital library instead of complaining when Google did it, they would have control of it. Just like the Music labels sat on their rears selling the same outdated format for more and more money, then suing end users. Pathetic...Apple came along and grabbed their lunch money. Get with the times or be left behind. Authors should use Google for publishing, at least they update their infrastructure.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]lol hasn't anyone ever heard of a public library? Isn't that all this is, a digital public library?[/citation]
I wonder, if there are music libraries. Or, God forbid, video libraries. The free ones.
For some reason "the pirate bay" comes to my mind...

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]Except someone paid for the book you are borrowing.I feel publishers view public library's as a free advertisement. Get kids hooked on reading, and when they're older they'll buy more books. Sure you'll have the people who save a few bucks by getting all there reading material from the library but its probably 1/100. If books are suddenly released online, publishers think people will stop paying for books. I think this is a safe assessment. I would gladly buy an eBook reader if I could get a library's worth of books for free or pay around $12/mo for access to the "library". The problem with both solutions is how do the publishers and writers get paid.[/citation]

Great books were written way before someone got paid for writing books. So if publishers suddenly disappear, it won't be that big of a deal.

[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]I wonder, if there are music libraries. Or, God forbid, video libraries. The free ones. For some reason "the pirate bay" comes to my mind...[/citation]
My local library has a large collection of music on CD, and movies on VHS and DVD.

Andraxxus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
How about thinking of the readers instead of the publishers for a change!I don't care if the guy that wrote the book is from another country if a book is good then it is good in any language.If in the begining Gutenberg would have had to fight publishers and other stuff that is shoved in our faces then the mechanical printing press would not have been created and we would be using handwritten books.The internet and going digital and free is the "new" mechanical printing press access to information should not be restricted but encouraged. Regardless of other aspects and above all: Knowledge Is Prime!

Status
Not open for further replies.